Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

1 minute ago, Movie nerd said:

Wow 60 mln $ from PA, much bigger number than I expected. It completely changes perception. 140 mln $ opening weekend is fantastic number and big trumph of this model. 

Bad news for theathers, it surely will encourage to apply this model to MCU films more often, cos it actually works. 

60m across the globe. Not just domestically 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Captain Marvel did $105M Net in Home Media per Deadline profit tournament thingy. I believe OTT licensing is added in TV and figure Disney will be putting in House price on that.

Donno if Disney will do Home Media for Widow, they did for Mulan though. Anyhow, there is still a long way to go to that $105M of CM and this is coming at cost of Box office.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Captain Marvel did $105M Net in Home Media per Deadline profit tournament thingy. I believe OTT licensing is added in TV and figure Disney will be putting in House price on that.

Donno if Disney will do Home Media for Widow, they did for Mulan though. Anyhow, there is still a long way to go to that $105M of CM and this is coming at cost of Box office.

They did home video for Soul and Luca; they’ll definitely do it for black widow lol 

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

They will, all the movies they put on D+ get physical home media releases (and sell well).

Raya was actually the best selling movie of the year on home video, if i recall right.

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, 60M on PA on it's first 3 days. This really can make 100M profit alone for Disney. And the movie will still probably make +500M on box office.

Only proof my theory, for them this is probably best.

The 60m seems to actually only be Friday and Saturday according to Deadline, plus it more heavy USA leaning

over $60M in Disney+ Premier Access consumer spend globally. I understand that the latter figure skews more heavily toward U.S. Disney+ Premier spending. 

Disney+ will obviously impact home disc sales (all streaming and digital sales have been doing so for years, it’s a declining market). 

But MCU fans will want discs, genuine 4K’s (not compressed streaming versions), Steelbooks etc. 

• Like 2

60m in global PA is not good btw lol; 2 million accounts downloading it globally when it will certainly have no real legs in that market is nothing to brag about. I remember people speculating that Disney could make around 200-250m for Mulan on PA and as it took to now for Disney to brag about PA, this just makes me think it’s been a pretty consistent failure lol 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Wow 60 mln $ from PA, much bigger number than I expected. It completely changes perception. 140 mln $ opening weekend is fantastic number and big trumph of this model. 

Bad news for theathers, it surely will encourage to apply this model to MCU films more often, cos it actually works. 

I will be surprised if they don’t announce this for Shang Chi soon. Especially since the interest isn’t that high - no huge box office expectations to dampen. With PA, they can spin it into a success story.

When I turned on my PS5 yesterday, the first thing I saw when I logged on was a massive ad for Black Widow for Disney+. When I went on Twitter this morning, the first thing I saw was an ad for Black Widow specifically promoting the Premiere Access on Disney+. If you don't think it had a significant impact, you're nuts. And I'm not trying to rationalize either - I've said multiple times in this thread I thought Black Widow had alot of factors going against it even BEFORE the pandemic. As long as it hits 80m and we can say a movie crossed another threshold, I'm good. Now, let's see what does 90m first. 

Also, Space Jam doing 30m OW next weekend, and perhaps even challenging BW. I'll mark my mildly bold prediction down for it now.

• Like 3

My reaction to that $60 million number is based on assuming that’s a worldwide figure. Which really isn’t good. 2 million people paid for it.   I cannot even imagine how many millions of people grabbed that same Disney+ presentation for nothing 🤣

Literally throwing money away. 

Just now, Blankments said:

60m in global PA is not good btw lol; 2 million accounts downloading it globally when it will certainly have no real legs in that market is nothing to brag about. I remember people speculating that Disney could make around 200-250m for Mulan on PA and as it took to now for Disney to brag about PA, this just makes me think it’s been a pretty consistent failure lol 

This is a good point ... and I don't care if it's a failure.

sorry but I love cinema and am not a huge fan of the streaming service

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nowhere close. So far it's quite easily Tenet.

Hmm, that was on May

Year-to-date Top 10 (through May 2021):

The Croods: A New Age (Universal/DreamWorks)

Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner)

Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney)

Monster Hunter (Sony Pictures)

I Can Only Imagine (Lionsgate)

Soul (Disney)

News of the World (Universal)

Greenland (Universal/STX)

Justice League (Warner)

The Meg (Warner)

Raya spend more weeks at the top after that