Jump to content
No Eternals Spoilers 4 Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, john2000 said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is the "save Marvel face" post...didn't we hear that Luca was given free b/c they feared a $30M open?  Although $60M PA means its likely topping out there at $100M tops...

 

And I said it would be $80M no matter what, so I expect this may not make that number by Monday...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Black Widow was clearly frontloaded but all things considered - being a solo spin-off for a character that died in her previous movie, going through at least three late-in-the-game release date changes due to COVID, being available to watch at home (albeit for a hefty price) at the same time - scoring the best opening of the pandemic era is a really good achievement. Guessing Disney decided to release + sales to make its numbers look more impressive since this was always going to be a bigger deal in any environment than Cruella or Raya ever were.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You're also forgetting outside that over 60 million they also get the monthly subscription Disney+ fee too...

 

I dont know about anyone else but with the delta variant etc I'm expecting them to announce Shang Chi will be a PA and theaters release come September, especially with the Labor Day weekend, that nearly makes more sense to me then BW did.

 

This time next week I expect we'll know if they are going to do it and i'm leaning towards a dual release now that they announced the Black Widow Disney + numbers

Edited by Ryaner90
Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Mendelson saying ww opening is not good enough and is comparing to Captain Marvel. And he is box office expert??

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Marston said:

Lmao including the PA numbers with the box office to give it a “200m global opening”? Really Disney? 

yes this is a smart move, they want to inflate the box office figures
lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The spin in that Deadline article is amazing. They really want a "Big success, well done" narrative out there asap instead of the "Wait, that was a badly front loaded weekend with a weak OS take" narrative

 

Amen - I'm out of reactions, so I owe you one:)...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

This is the "save Marvel face" post...didn't we hear that Luca was given free b/c they feared a $30M open?  Although $60M PA means its likely topping out there at $100M tops...

 

And I said it would be $80M no matter what, so I expect this may not make that number by Monday...

But most of that 100m goes to them , I don't see any bad thing or financial failure here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

BW would have to gross 120M more on box office to bring the same 60M profit for Disney. And this 60M PA is only for the first 2-2.5 days

 

Considering the movie also did pretty good on theaters i have a very hard time seeing where's the failure.

 

I see why it's bad for box office lovers but come on, they're not losing any money with this. This movie would have to debut with almost 300M globally without China to bring the same money for them, and this is not happening with or without PA.

 

They treat this as a win because it is. And beyond this discussions, is bringing solid results for theaters too who really needs successful movies right now.

 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Hmm, that was on May

 

Year-to-date Top 10 (through May 2021):

 

The Croods: A New Age (Universal/DreamWorks)

Wonder Woman 1984 (Warner)

Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney)

Monster Hunter (Sony Pictures)

I Can Only Imagine (Lionsgate)

Soul (Disney)

News of the World (Universal)

Greenland (Universal/STX)

Justice League (Warner)

The Meg (Warner)

 

Raya spend more weeks at the top after that

 

Checking the movie out on flixpatrol, it is not even in the top 10 on any of the major vod stores for this year: https://flixpatrol.com/title/raya-and-the-last-dragon/

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Madhuvan said:

Scott Mendelson saying ww opening is not good enough and is comparing to Captain Marvel. And he is box office expert??

 

No, he just comes off as a biased twitter user lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why they feel like the have to spin this number. It is a terrific number. By spinning it, they only make some people think that the movie under-performed. I recall when WW84 was released, ATT/WB released these very nebulous figures which led people to believe that it didn’t perform well. Instead they should have been touting how well it performed compared to other movies at that time. Black Widow is head and shoulders ahead of anything released during the pandemic/“post” pandemic so far. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blankments said:

60m in global PA is not good btw lol; 2 million accounts downloading it globally when it will certainly have no real legs in that market is nothing to brag about. I remember people speculating that Disney could make around 200-250m for Mulan on PA and as it took to now for Disney to brag about PA, this just makes me think it’s been a pretty consistent failure lol 

 

Another reaction owed - yes, Disney's failed with PA, probably due to the pricing...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nowhere close. So far it's quite easily Tenet.

In the UK, it’s Wonder Woman 1984 :) 

9 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

Welp, now everyone can go back to watching Loki, right?

I ditched Loki after episode 1. Still to finish FATWS. 

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

 

This is the "save Marvel face" post...didn't we hear that Luca was given free b/c they feared a $30M open?  Although $60M PA means its likely topping out there at $100M tops...

 

And I said it would be $80M no matter what, so I expect this may not make that number by Monday...

I dunno, the Sunday drop they’re going with is pretty reasonable (-26%). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both things are right here imo, the opening weekend worldwide was good and Disney also used the PA buy as spin to make things look better cause they’ve never given that info before.
 

But honestly any company is going to do that so I don’t see the big deal. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday just started in USA , these PA numbers are probably of first 2 days.

I am disappointed in opening but calling it a failure in anyway is bit too extreme , don't you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ryaner90 said:

You're also forgetting outside that over 60 million they also get the monthly subscription Disney+ fee too...

 

I dont know about anyone else but with the delta variant etc I'm expecting them to announce Shang Chi will be a PA and theaters release come September, especially with the Labor Day weekend, that nearly makes more sense to me then BW did.

 

This time next week I expect we'll know if they are going to do it and i'm leaning towards a dual release now that they announced the Black Widow Disney + numbers

 

I actually expect it to go day and date for a different reason - I don't think they trust the quality and reception of the movie (seeing the trailers), and they don't want a "true full open" lower than Black Widow's for the 1st real Phase 4 movie...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weekend number has been unusually weak this summer compared to pre-pandemic time. I don't remember seeing this weak Fri-Sat nump before covid and this hit MCU particularly hard because MCU film normally have Saturday shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

I don’t know why they feel like the have to spin this number. It is a terrific number. By spinning it, they only make some people think that the movie under-performed. I recall when WW84 was released, ATT/WB released these very nebulous figures which led people to believe that it didn’t perform well. Instead they should have been touting how well it performed compared to other movies at that time. Black Widow is head and shoulders ahead of anything released during the pandemic/“post” pandemic so far. 

agreed

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.