Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

48 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Things might return to normal with Shang-Chi and Eternals with ~70m OW for the B-list heroes.

B list?!

If Eternals and Shang-Chi are “B List” what the heck were Guadrians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man before they were released? Lol

I’d never heard of Eternals or Shang-Chi until now. They’re D list at best. 

That’ll change, obviously. 

58 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Speaking of Winter Soldier for BW to come close to WS' opening weekend during a pandemic with a hybrid release just shows that Marvel Studios is still in a much better position than it was during phase 2.

But obviously the MCU hiatus and blue balls were a factor too.

Things might return to normal with Shang-Chi and Eternals with ~70m OW for the B-list heroes.

Eternals over 90M, and The Big 3 over 150 easily

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

B list?!

If Eternals and Shang-Chi are “B List” what the heck were Guadrians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange and Ant-Man before they were released? Lol

I’d never heard of Eternals or Shang-Chi until now. They’re D list at best. 

That’ll change, obviously. 

Well I think Shang Chi and Eternals are C-List at worst because they're associated with MCU and there's a certain amount of awareness about them.

Big 3 used to be Cap, Iron Man, Thor but two of those are gone (there is Sam but he is less popular). Currently I think there are 4 characters who can open 150+: BP, Spider, Thor, Cap Marvel (the last one is a bit more uncertain due to the unusual circumstances for her first film).

• Like 2

Think DS can  also go 150+. And gotg, of course.   

Re: winter soldier opening, the modern equivalent is like 135M, so this isn't coming particularly close -- but could without the pandemic or PA imo

My theater was about 80 percent full for a 7 PM showing last night…I live in one of the last places to lift its mask and social distancing mandates (6 weeks ago), and I’m pleasantly surprised by how quickly/easily a big majority of folks seem to have gone back to “normal,” given how people were talking and acting maybe the first full week after the restrictions were lifted. That second week saw a big shift, and seeing this movie felt like a real milestone (well, to me, anyway 😉). The last movie I saw before this was Godzilla versus Kong and there were maybe 10 people in the theater total then. Here’s hoping my anecdotal experience bodes well!

I really enjoyed the movie, I think it should have broad appeal, even for folks that don’t follow the MCU.

Edited by mattie08
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Think DS can  also go 150+. And gotg, of course.   

Re: winter soldier opening, the modern equivalent is like 135M, so this isn't coming particularly close -- but could without the pandemic or PA imo

Forgot about GOTG. Yeah that should be 150+ as well. DS it depends on what exactly "Multiverse of Madness" actually entails and what is actually in that movie. 

Not bad - I was only predicting $115-120m OW for this prior to the pandemic, so my baseline isn't quite as high as everyone else. I don't quite seem the appeal in a lower stakes solo prequel for an already dead character compared to other MCU movies. So $85-90 would be good considering PA, though obviously wanted 100.

• Like 2