Cap

BLACK WIDOW OPENING WEEKEND THREAD | 80M DOM, 78 OS, Disney PR - 60M Premier Access (aka we swear it's not a disappoinment)

Also from Deadline:

The lack of a female turnout here on Black Widow isn’t because Disney didn’t market toward them: They ran ads on female-centric TV programming: The Bachelorette, Keeping Up With the Kardashians and The Grey’s Anatomy finale.

HMM… Female Fandom didn’t show up? 🤭 Never would’ve guessed that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Considering it's a split/hybrid release with streaming I think 80 Million for a prequel solo film during the pandemic is good.  I honestly feel "Fast 9" ,"BW" and "QP II" did very well OW considering the circumstance.   These films have given us a Summer Box Office.    With that said my worst fears was that after OW.....legs wouldn't be the best because people are still making choices to watch their entertainment at home. 

Also Pre-Pandemic.....Some Fans of these Big Franchises would see the film more than once.  Maybe now repeat viewings won't be a priority.    What "BW" did show is that people will still make the choice to see it on the Big Screen regardless of if it's available for Home Viewing.  Many people said this type of model isn't sustainable for smaller films.  I understand that but Hollywood has to adjust.  I think Disney did the right thing instead of leaving money on the table for those that aren't ready to go back yet.  Especially Families.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Cap said:

Also from Deadline:

The lack of a female turnout here on Black Widow isn’t because Disney didn’t market toward them: They ran ads on female-centric TV programming: The Bachelorette, Keeping Up With the Kardashians and The Grey’s Anatomy finale.

HMM… Female Fandom didn’t show up? 🤭 Never would’ve guessed that. 

May be just may be largely action-adventure franchise that is MCU isn't female driven. Deadline writer is just nitpicking anyhow he can.

IIRC Cap Marvel also had much higher male turnout than female.

Edit: Yes CM was 57% Male compared to 58% of Endgame.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

May be just may be largely action-adventure franchise that is MCU isn't female driven. Deadline writer is just nitpicking anyhow he can.

IIRC Cap Marvel also had much higher male turnout than female.

Edit: Yes CM was 57% Male compared to 58% of Endgame.

Yeah, as noted, it doesn't matter the MCU movie, men always turn out higher.  This does not hold for DC, which has had women focused properties turn out higher women percentages than their male-focused properties...

22 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Don't female-focused movies usually have better legs? Isn't it possible women just don't rush to watch movies at the OW as much as men?

Wonder Woman opened 103m OW and ended up making 412m DOM, a 4x OW multiper, that isn't common nowadays outside of animated family movies.

I remember how fun it was following its boxoffice run.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, as noted, it doesn't matter the MCU movie, men always turn out higher.  This does not hold for DC, which has had women focused properties turn out higher women percentages than their male-focused properties...

Yeah , I have noticed this too. I think the reason is Marvel's big and established fandom. If they were making female led superheroes movies from start then turnout would have been bit different but first MCU female led superhero came in 2019 so that changes things a lot.

Also irrespective of that ,I want to point out that more women did watch Captain Marvel on opening weekend than Wonder Woman , difference is only in ratio.

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

You understand why I get pissed when this dude continues to flame me for no reason other than the fact that he doesn’t like what I’m saying, which by the way has no intent directed towards him. I once again gave a harmless opinion and he’s the one who came at me because he took it upon himself to be insulted for some reason. 

I frankly don’t mind if he disagrees with me but calling my opinion troll bait out in the open? I’m gonna respond to him considering he’s asking for it. 

I have heeded your warnings. I read his comments and move on and don’t respond to him. But if he comes at me I’m not going to hold back. 

I'm gonna ignore you from now on, but I genuinely thought you were trolling. Kinda hard not to think that when you make statements like that with such arrogance (and included half a dozen laugh emojis on top of that). And I didn't quote you in my edited reply (wrote a larger comment about what you wrote, but then deleted it because I thought you weren't being sincere), so that people wouldn't even know what I was calling troll bait and we wouldn't have to go through another argument. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The thing about Netflix is they spend very little (if anything) on marketing. The cost of marketing offsets a huge chunk of theatrical revenue for the studios (except for those megahits), so I don’t think the disparity is quite as dramatic. Then again, studios are in a hybrid streaming/theatrical model and Netflix is pure streaming so they’re each playing slightly different games. 

Netflix spends a couple billion on marketing in total (Army of the Dead had a pretty big marketing campaign recently too), but just not as much as traditional studios because it's almost entirely online viral marketing and they do it very well. Other studios seemed to have catch onto it, but imo do a terrible job at imitating their strategy.

7 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

You understand why I get pissed when this dude continues to flame me for no reason other than the fact that he doesn’t like what I’m saying, which by the way has no intent directed towards him. I once again gave a harmless opinion and he’s the one who came at me because he took it upon himself to be insulted for some reason. 

I frankly don’t mind if he disagrees with me but calling my opinion troll bait out in the open? I’m gonna respond to him considering he’s asking for it. 

I have heeded your warnings. I read his comments and move on and don’t respond to him. But if he comes at me I’m not going to hold back. 

I wouln't get riled up, I've read these forums for a while and Lordemaxus has a habit of arguing with posters and be wrong

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Chicago said:

I wouln't get riled up, I've read these forums for a while and Lordemaxus has a habit of arguing with posters and be wrong

Well, I wasn't wrong and didn't try to even start an argument. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

Don't female-focused movies usually have better legs? Isn't it possible women just don't rush to watch movies at the OW as much as men?

There's a difference between a female lead and what women consider a movie for women. Not every movie with a female lead appeals to large number of women, well large comparable to men. Also, some studies showed that women prefer movies with male+female cast as opposed to all-male or all-female. 

Women always rushed to see Harry Potter and Twilight, for example. So they do rush in droves to see something the opening weekend if really invested. I guess that Marvel just skews more male so female casting doesn't change that if stories and characters, still appeal more to men. 

Lets not forget Leomania, Aqua Moms, Twi Moms as examples of the most rabid die-hard female fans to rival most rabid male fans. It's the same thing. It's really just takes the right movie/actor to bring out the crazy in anyone. :lol:

• Like 1

There is crisp clean downloads of BW online already. This is the problem with these hybrid releases. Why would someone pay £20 to stream a movie when they can download it for free with just a few clicks? Box office legs are about to get even worse 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chicago said:

There is crisp clean downloads of BW online already. This is the problem with these hybrid releases. Why would someone pay £20 to stream a movie when they can download it for free with just a few clicks? Box office legs are about to get even worse 

I mean the 2 million people who paid for PA knew the movie is out online...for free..they still paid for it. Same for Cruella and Raya in terms of people who paid for PA, abd also Box office legs of these 2 films.

Warner Brothers' movie are always day-and-date release and everyone knows that.. piracy has always been rampant but I see GvK doing okay in terms of legs..

I would argue that most people who pirate the movies - have no intention of paying for them anyways..

If legs are bad; i wouldn't blame it on PA.. WoM is also a factor. Again if this was an A/A+ cinemascore, RT critics score >90%, IMDB score > 7.6 to 8..

I would argue that even the initial weekend multiple would have been better.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I mean the 2 million people who paid for PA knew the movie is out online...for free..they still paid for it. Same for Cruella and Raya in terms of people who paid for PA, abd also Box office legs of these 2 films.

Warner Brothers' movie are always day-and-date release and everyone knows that.. piracy has always been rampant but I see GvK doing okay in terms of legs..

I would argue that most people who pirate the movies - have no intention of paying for them anyways..

If legs are bad; i wouldn't blame it on PA.. WoM is also a factor. Again if this was an A/A+ cinemascore, RT critics score >90%, IMDB score > 7.6 to 8..

I would argue that even the initial weekend multiple would have been better.

I had every intention of watching Kong V Godzilla in cinemas until i pirated it so I disagree with that notion. Its the same with these online purchases, why would I pay the full £20 when i can download it on a laptop in minutes?

The poor quality of illegal downloads was what stopped people pirating but now with this new model, it's given people access to top quality downloads.

I also wouln't rate KvG's legs considering they were worse than KOTM's despite receiving better WOM. Both were at 48m on the sunday yet KOTM ended up leggier

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I had every intention of watching Kong V Godzilla in cinemas until i pirated it so I disagree with that notion. Its the same with these online purchases, why would I pay the full £20 when i can download it on a laptop in minutes?

The poor quality of illegal downloads was what stopped people pirating but now with this new model, it's given people access to top quality downloads.

There are people who watch movies for the shared experience, theatrical experience - visuals / sounds etc and there are those who watch for content only. You belong to the latter group; while I belong to the former. We are in a box office forum so I am hoping most think like me.

Hybrid / simultaneous releases are more common now not because studio wants it but because there is a pandemic going on. Once (a big if) we recover cleaning from it, i genuinely don't think that is the norm. Such releases is for people to have a choice - for people who are not in safe areas - no access to the movie in theaters, or don't feel safe to head to a theater; to watch a film safely and comfortably at home - legally. But if you want to exploit that and pirate a movie (even though you feel safe to go to the movies), then it is your decision. Lol.

If someone drops a wallet infront of you, and he didn't notice it - you can pick it up and either (1) return to him or (2) take the wallet and walk / run away. 

Pirates are those who choose the 2nd option.

Some people blame the person who dropped the wallet for being careless (studios), but i think the fault lies with people who decide to take the money and run (the pirates).

Just because someone drops his wallet infront of you - doesn't mean you have to take it, and it also doesn't mean it is right for you to take it.

You think the people who contributed to the USD400m worldwide of GvK; or the people who contributed to the >USD200m (including PA) opening of BW - all these people doesn't know piracy exist? Haha. There are lots more people with integrity than you think...

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 3