chasmmi

BOT Top 150 Animated Films Countdown begins...

On 7/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, chasmmi said:

98th – How To Train Your Dragon 3

174 points – 13 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible    

2016 – Not Eligible

2018 – Not Eligible   

My personal ranking – 27th – I am the lone hero that seems to feel that Dreamworks Threequels are the best of the franchise (or almost the best) – Big Green Ogres aside that is.

As with Kung Fu Panda and Megamind, this was yet another Dreamworks franchise that I arrived late to the party on as I had no interest in a film with such a silly title that was a clear move to pander to the 3D gimmick as opposed to making a good film.

I was very wrong. Very wrong indeed. This was a wonderful franchise that tell a great overreaching story about a boy and his cat… I mean dragon. The animation is flipping beautiful too.

Should be higher, better then the 2nd and almost as good as the first. maybe my favorite Animated trilogy ever. 

40th – The Lego Movie

438 points – 21 votes ( 1 Top 5, 3 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 25th

2016 –20th

2018 – 20th

My personal ranking – 33rd – Put me in the general group of people taken aback by how opposite of terrible this was.

I think everybody that has ever talked about Lego Movie says something along the lines of, ‘expected it to be shameless cash in, yadda yadda… ‘actually turned out to be a really good heartfelt film’ yadda yadda, ‘What! No Oscar?! Dis woz robbed!!!’ …and yeah, that’s about the gist of it.

Let’s also agree that 40th is by no means a terrible placement, but that is by far the biggest drop for a film that has never left the top 25 before. Whether this is a blip. A reaction to one too many not top tier Lego films, or the beginning of a fall from grace… only history can tell us.

Wait that isn’t right. History is the one thing that will never be able to tell us this. What we need is the opposite of history. What would you call that? Oh right, the future.

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

39th – The Prince of Egypt

447 points – 20 votes ( 1 First, 3 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 28th

2016 –55th

2018 – 34th

My personal ranking – 60th – Early Dreamworks had some really great stuff didn’t it? It also had this which was pretty decent also.

Talk about a film that doesn’t know where it wants to place. Almost top 25, outside top 50, back into the 30s, now just about in the 30s, this is a film that has ended up everywhere. Well everywhere within a 26 place range at least.

Prince of Egypt is a film deserving of credit and it is one of the last great bastions for olde worldy animation in big studio USA. It is a musical and as such will sink or swim on its songs and luckily for Dreamworks, Moses’ basket was surprisingly buoyant.

Also, it feels like some sort of record to have to wait until 39th place for the second film to show up on the full countdown that received a first place vote.

• Like 10

38th – Shrek 2

448 points – 21 votes ( 2 Top 5, 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 26th

2016 –38th

2018 – 45th

My personal ranking – 14th – To me this is true top tier animation and some of the most fun you can have watching a film.

Yeah, yeah I know, Shrek is Meme, Meme is life and all that. But let’s be fair, Shrek is the film franchise that really showed studios that CG Animation can be a four quadrant behemoth at the box office. It was also really really good for two films at least (and if you truly search your heart, you will accept that four is actually pretty good too, it just is tarnished by the stink of 3).

List wise, this marks a stopping of a constant downward trajectory since the original placement of 26th in 2014. Will this mark the beginning of the Shrekassaince?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

37th – Laputa: Castle in the Sky

453 points – 22 votes ( 4 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 97th

2016 –103rd 

2018 – 61st 

My personal ranking – Not Seen – I literally had it ready to go, but it was dubbed and I just don’t roll that way.

From the 3 minutes I watched, this is the story of a princess girl running away from a bunch of goofy dudes after her necklace or something. Whilst being in a castle, in the sky, probably also whilst going by the name of Laputa.

What is not up for debate is, My word that is a big increase on previous lists! Rocketing from outside the top 100 to 37th is possibly the biggest rise we will see in this or any list and thus suggests that I really should have watched it.

• Like 13

36th – Howl’s Moving Castle

457 points – 21 votes ( 1 Top 5, 3 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 40th

2016 –33rd 

2018 – 35th

My personal ranking – Not in the top 1000 – I don’t want to be hyperbolic, but this is a fucking abomination of a film that needs to be nuked from orbit.

So that is two Ghibli castle films in a row as we see Miyazaki’s decimation of Dianne Wynne Jone’s wonderful tale of Welsh Wizards just strutting around in magical fantasy land. It clearly has some big fans so I will not present myself of ritual poker based torture more than I need to, but there are only two Ghibli films that I actively dislike, both are by Miyazaki, and this is probably the worse of the two.

Outside of me though, this film has shown some of the most consistent levels of popularity of anything we have seen. Four entries in the top 100 and all within 8 placements of each other. It seems that the masses have spoken and that must be respected, Even when it is wrong.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

36th – Howl’s Moving Castle

457 points – 21 votes ( 1 Top 5, 3 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 40th

2016 –33rd 

2018 – 35th

My personal ranking – Not in the top 1000 – I don’t want to be hyperbolic, but this is a fucking abomination of a film that needs to be nuked from orbit.

So that is two Ghibli castle films in a row as we see Miyazaki’s decimation of Dianne Wynne Jone’s wonderful tale of Welsh Wizards just strutting around in magical fantasy land. It clearly has some big fans so I will not present myself of ritual poker based torture more than I need to, but there are only two Ghibli films that I actively dislike, both are by Miyazaki, and this is probably the worse of the two.

Outside of me though, this film has shown some of the most consistent levels of popularity of anything we have seen. Four entries in the top 100 and all within 8 placements of each other. It seems that the masses have spoken and that must be respected, Even when it is wrong.

I love this movie so I don't know whether to like it's consistently placing strongly or leave a disbelief that you can be so wrong wrong wrong. :sadno:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, chasmmi said:

37th – Laputa: Castle in the Sky

453 points – 22 votes ( 4 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – 97th

2016 –103rd 

2018 – 61st 

My personal ranking – Not Seen – I literally had it ready to go, but it was dubbed and I just don’t roll that way.

From the 3 minutes I watched, this is the story of a princess girl running away from a bunch of goofy dudes after her necklace or something. Whilst being in a castle, in the sky, probably also whilst going by the name of Laputa.

What is not up for debate is, My word that is a big increase on previous lists! Rocketing from outside the top 100 to 37th is possibly the biggest rise we will see in this or any list and thus suggests that I really should have watched it.

I've seen both for this and definitely prefer the sub. It's not vastly different but in the places where it is, the dub makes some...strange choices, to put it mildly.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:22 AM, chasmmi said:

69th – Whisper of the Heart

247 points – 9 votes ( 3 top 5, 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in top 100 

2016 –106th

2018 – 71st

My personal ranking – 44th – I really nice and lovely film if lacking a little something.

Another film that I watched for the first time in the past month and another film that I really enjoyed although not as strongly as at least 4 voters here did. Is this also a rare Ghibli film that is actually an original story?

The biggest scoring film with less than 10 votes by so much it hurts. The next highest scoring film with single digit votes is a full 60 points below this - that is insane. Feels like a film that has even more scope to climb in this list as a good number of people who see it, love it.

I was one of the top 5's and next time we do an animation list I am quoting the second paragraph from this post in my FYC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Numbers 36-40 were definitely not my cup of tea. I’ll take Disney’s Peter Pan and 101 Dalmatians over any of those movies…or all of those movies combined.

Funnily enough I would take all five of 36-40 over Peter Pan handily. 101 Dalmatians I guess isn't that far behind Shrek 2 or Lego Movie

Edited by 4815162342

20 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I shouldn’t have put ANY Disney on my list. 

I respect hating on the company, especially with current leadership, but my teenage kid and her boyfriend literally cried rewatching the 1st 15 minutes of Up yesterday...so some things just need to be here (now, if they could have erased the dog in that movie and never had it exist, that would be a top 10 movie of all time, animated or not:)...

PS - I haven't missed seeing Up in the list yet, right?:) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I respect hating on the company, especially with current leadership, but my teenage kid and her boyfriend literally cried rewatching the 1st 15 minutes of Up yesterday...so some things just need to be here (now, if they could have erased the dog in that movie and never had it exist, that would be a top 10 movie of all time, animated or not:)...

PS - I haven't missed seeing Up in the list yet, right?:) 

Putting aside companies that they’ve acquired (some of which, yes, I do like quite a bit), I didn’t really grow up with classic Disney movies so I don’t have that nostalgic connection to them. 😬

• Like 2

35th – Mulan

462 points – 24 votes (1 top 10 )

2013 – 22nd 

2014 – 17th

2016 –22nd 

2018 – 31st 

My personal ranking – 13th – The First Disney Princess worth a damn. One of my favourite Disney animations full stop.

Mulan continues the list trend of seeing Disney films hit their lowest placement to date. Like with pretty much anything that this point, 35th is not exactly a low finishing position but it is lower than I would have hoped for it to finish.

Quick aside, this film also has the best montage song ever that hopefully hasn’t got stuck in your head, so before that happens let’s get down to business and move on.

• Like 8
  • Disbelief 2

34th – Shrek

465 points – 25 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – 18th  

2014 – 20th

2016 –23rd 

2018 – 28th 

My personal ranking – 35th – It’s Shrek. I still prefer the sequel, but it is Shrek, you can’t hate it unless you are some Greek derived heretic without a soul or something.

A second film in a row from the OG top 25 to show up in the mid 30s. A second film in a row to hit its lowest position to date. And a second film in a row that is famous for one song sequence that easily gets stuck in your head.

We are obviously fast running out of Dreamworks films at this point which is a bit of a shame in my opinion as even if your opinion on which particular Dreamworks animations be your jam (or jelly as they say in Americaland), having only one in the top 33 seems a little less than deserved in my opinion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

33rd – Your Name

466 points – 19 votes (1 First, 2 Top 5, 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 –Not Eligible  

2018 – 40th 

My personal ranking – Not top 100, maybe 412th – A pretty average la di da Japanese animation where high school people all fall in love with each other before one of the dumbest and awful 3rd act revelation and finale that sends the film way way into the lower echelons of animation history.

I wanted to like this. It was apparently the big anime film that was finally going to break free of Ghibli domination and show us all that Japan makes four quadrant animated drama for all. What we got was a film that did its darndest to make the twist to The Lake House seem clever and well thought out. This is the sort of film that only someone delusional enough to hope that Ireland may reach a Rugby World Cup semi-final one day could love.

This is the sophomore appearance on this list (I think I used that word right.) and it is a nice little increase of a few places. Where this trend continues, we shall see.

• Like 10

32nd – The Nightmare Before Christmas

469 points – 24 votes (1 top 5, 2 top 10 )

2013 – 16th 

2014 – 30th

2016 –30th  

2018 – 25th  

My personal ranking – 77th – I like this film and it has some lovely songs. I don’t see it as the best stop motion film every that we seem to have decided it is.

A fun animation not directed by Tim Burton starring not Johnny Depp as a happy lil’ pumpkin man learning to love not Helena Bonham Carter. A film that absolutely hit its heights in the first iteration of this list, and now resides at its lowest ebb.

Is this a Christmas film or a Halloween film? Yes. Does it kind of get away with a forgettable second half because the songs and set up in the first are so good? Yes. Is the Corpse Bride kind of better in every way except maybe the songs? Yes? Does it deserve to be 32nd? Maybe?

• Like 10

31st – Fantastic Mr. Fox

470 points – 20 votes ( 2 top 5, 5 top 10 )

2013 – 25th   

2014 – 49th

2016 –43rd 

2018 – 49th 

My personal ranking – The Worst – The Actual worst. This abomination is a travesty, I hate it and it saddens me that people love it.

Oh wait, is this thing stop motion? It bloody is, isn’t it? I’m sad now thinking that this may actually be the top rated stop motion film. It is stuff like this which is why Paul W Anderson is the best of the directing Andersons.

This is an interesting trajectory over history though. Debuting in 25th before consistently dropping to around 50th. Yet after 3 lists in a row in the 40s, this is now a big upturn in fortunes as it almost regained its place in the top 25.

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

An update of the top 5 after 24 lists counted...

List 1 2 3 4 5
1 Toy Story 3 Coco -8 Nemo -14 Toy Story - 18 Monsters Inc. -18
2 Coco Toy Story 3 -6 Lion King -7 Finding Nemo -24 Lego / Toy Story 2 -24
3 Spiderverse Coco -8 Toy Story 3  - 30 Ratatouille - 31 Lion King -31
4 coco Spiderverse - 15 Mononoke  -15 Ratatouille  -25 Toy Story 3 - 29
5 Mononoke coco -5 spiderverse -7 spirited away -11 toy story 3 - 19
6 Mononoke Lion King -17 toy story 3 -25 spirited away -28 Wall E -33
7 The Lion King Mononoke  -9 Toy Story 3  - 10 Beauty and Beast  -19 Wall E -22
8 mononoke toy story 3  -5 Wall E  - 7 Spirited Away  - 10 Inside Out  - 16
9 Mononoke toy story  -1 Inside Out  - 12 Wall E  - 13 Spirited Away  - 13
10 Mononoke spirited away  -3 Inside Out  - 32 Toy Story 3  - 35 Incredibles  - 40
11 Mononoke Lion King  - 31 Spirited Away  - 35 Wall E  - 37 Finding Nemo  - 38
12 Spirited Away Mononoke  - 15 Finding Nemo  - 17 Lion King  - 28 Toy Story 3  - 30
13 Spirited Away Lion King  - 6 Finding Nemo  - 15 Toy Story 3  - 26 Wall E  - 40
14 Spirited Away lion king - - 34 mononoke  - 47 inside out  - 52 Finding Nemo  - 57
15 Spirited Away inside out  - 42 lion king  - 44 mononoke  - 53 finding nemo  - 72
16 Spirited Away mononoke - 25 Finding Nemo - 32 Inside Out - 52 Lion King - 54
17 Spirited Away mononoke  - 8 finding nemo  - 16 Inside Out - 43 Lion King  - 48
18 Mononoke spirited away  - 10 Finding Nemo - 13 Inside Out - 40 Lion King - 50
19 Finding Nemo mononoke  - 7 Lion King  - 27 Spirited Away  - 29 Incredibles  - 55
20 mononoke spirited - 44 finding nemo - 47 lion king - 78 wall E - 92
21 Mononoke spirited away - 22 finding nemo - 59 lion king - 71 toy story 2 - 88
22 Mononoke spirited away - 48 finding nemo - 79 lion king - 93 toy story 2 - 102
23 Mononoke spirited away - 44 toy story 2 - 74 finding nemo - 79 Wall E - 94
24 Mononoke spirited away - 34 toy story 2 - 94 Finding Nemo - 114 Lion King - 115
  • Like 1