chasmmi

BOT Top 150 Animated Films Countdown begins...

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

33rd – Your Name

466 points – 19 votes (1 First, 2 Top 5, 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 –Not Eligible  

2018 – 40th 

My personal ranking – Not top 100, maybe 412th – A pretty average la di da Japanese animation where high school people all fall in love with each other before one of the dumbest and awful 3rd act revelation and finale that sends the film way way into the lower echelons of animation history.

I wanted to like this. It was apparently the big anime film that was finally going to break free of Ghibli domination and show us all that Japan makes four quadrant animated drama for all. What we got was a film that did its darndest to make the twist to The Lake House seem clever and well thought out. This is the sort of film that only someone delusional enough to hope that Ireland may reach a Rugby World Cup semi-final one day could love.

This is the sophomore appearance on this list (I think I used that word right.) and it is a nice little increase of a few places. Where this trend continues, we shall see.

You wanna fight huh! Huh! 

• Sad 1

30th – Kiki’s Delivery Service

471 points – 21 votes ( 1 First , 2 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25  

2014 – 66th 

2016 –72rd 

2018 – 58th 

My personal ranking – Not Seen – I almost did, but folks have told me that it likely will be the kind of Ghibli film I would not like.

And we have finally made it to the highest placed film on this list that I have not seen. From what I gather this is basically the story of a witch that sells bread via broomstick or something.

On top of that, it is a film that has seen a massive surge in the ratings as it moves from hovering around 60th to making a play for the top 25. Time will tell if this is a blip or a trend.

• Like 11

29th – Fantasia

483 points – 23 votes ( 2 Top 5 , 0 top 10 )

2013 – 24th  

2014 – 31st 

2016 –28th  

2018 – 38th 

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – Big fan of Sorcerer’s Apprentice, but outside of that…

And now we get a Disney film bouncing back after getting its lowest placement last time around. One of the very last remaining films from Classic Disney (or pre 1990 from any studio) and it’s a film that has both strong support and many that wouldn’t even consider it for a list.

It’s a marvel that such a film exists and is testament to the fact that while the Disney company today may like to play most things safe, Walt himself often liked to do far from that.

• Like 10

28th – Grave of the Fireflies

484 points – 16 votes ( 1 First, 3 Top 5 , 3 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25   

2014 – 61st 

2016 –32nd  

2018 – 17th 

My personal ranking – First – I make no bones about considering this to be the best animated film of all time. Fully understand why it is not for all.

Another Ghibli film based on existing literature and what a film it is. One of the hardest films a person will ever watch, Fireflies is a real gut punch of a film and one that will stick with most people that watch it. To be honest, people not liking it makes sense to me, people thinking it is great makes sense to me, I do find it harder to understand placing it like 70th. Just seems a film that you wouldn’t place in the ‘yeah, pretty good’ bracket.

As far as its list history is concerned, this is a slight drop from the high point of 2018. It is still a good improvement on its first bow of 61st and suggests that it can be here to stay as a film ready to challenge for top 20 each time around.

• Like 10

27th – The Emperor’s New Groove

493 points – 25 votes ( 2 Top 5 , 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25   

2014 – 53rd  

2016 –42nd   

2018 – 46th 

My personal ranking – 16th – In my opinion this is the funniest Disney animation ever and such an unexpected joy when I first watched it. An overlooked classic that seems to be gaining in respect year on year.

Well isn’t this the rarest entity, a Disney Animation that has steadily risen the ranks in the list on list and now finds its highest finish to date.

Emperor’s New Groove is a film that was stitched together from the wreckage of drafts past. The history of this film is fascinating to learn about as it was supposed to be something so very different at its inception and it is a miracle that the film happened let alone turned out to be as wonderful as it was.

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 2

26th – Tangled

511 points – 29 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – 24th  

2014 – 16th  

2016 –24th  

2018 – 37th 

My personal ranking – 61st – The first time WDAS was good in about 10 years. So yeah, this was quite the nice surprise.

Another film in this group to bounce back after its worst performance last time around. Tangled has been dropping by around 10 places each time we vote so it is good to see it halt that slide this time around.

Although there are some wrong people that believed WDAS put an end to its lack of quality run with Princess and the Frog, Tangled may go down as the The Little Mermaid of the Re-renaissance. The film that is pretty great and successful, but on the level of what was to follow.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 3

25th – Akira

517 points – 23 votes ( 2 First, 2 Top 5 , 3 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25  

2014 – 65th  

2016 –53rd   

2018 – 26th 

My personal ranking – 99th – This film really drags its feet for 40 minutes and you wonder if anything will ever happen. Then it is pretty great and super action packed for 40 minutes and you wonder how you are only 2/3rds of the way in. Then it goes all crazy and wonky for 40 minutes with some kid turning into Vegeta from Dragonball for some reason.

One of THE ultimate Japanese animations. This is the non-Ghibli anime that everybody has heard of even if they have not seen it. It also predicted the Tokyo Olympics and that it would happen in a near-apocalyptic setting. It also used the motorbike from Ready Player One which was a fun little Easter Egg.

As far as list placements are concerned, Akira had its big jump last time out as it leapt from 53rd to 26th. This result merely consolidates the film as one that may permanently challenge at the higher end of the lists from now on.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, chasmmi said:

26th – Tangled

511 points – 29 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – 24th  

2014 – 16th  

2016 –24th  

2018 – 37th 

My personal ranking – 61st – The first time WDAS was good in about 10 years. So yeah, this was quite the nice surprise.

Another film in this group to bounce back after its worst performance last time around. Tangled has been dropping by around 10 places each time we vote so it is good to see it halt that slide this time around.

Although there are some wrong people that believed WDAS put an end to its lack of quality run with Princess and the Frog, Tangled may go down as the The Little Mermaid of the Re-renaissance. The film that is pretty great and successful, but on the level of what was to follow.

The film isn't bad, but not only is it nowhere near as good as The Princess and the Frog, It isn't even as good as Bolt.

10 hours ago, chasmmi said:

29th – Fantasia

483 points – 23 votes ( 2 Top 5 , 0 top 10 )

2013 – 24th  

2014 – 31st 

2016 –28th  

2018 – 38th 

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – Big fan of Sorcerer’s Apprentice, but outside of that…

And now we get a Disney film bouncing back after getting its lowest placement last time around. One of the very last remaining films from Classic Disney (or pre 1990 from any studio) and it’s a film that has both strong support and many that wouldn’t even consider it for a list.

It’s a marvel that such a film exists and is testament to the fact that while the Disney company today may like to play most things safe, Walt himself often liked to do far from that.

Fantasia 2000 was better 👀

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

24th – How To Train Your Dragon

577 points – 29 votes ( 1 Top 5 , 2 top 10 )

2013 – 14th  

2014 – 12th  

2016 –12th    

2018 – 19th 

My personal ranking – 47th – I like this film. I like it a lot. I do not think it is the best in the Dreamworks library

But that is where we are. The highest placed Dreamworks film does not make the top 20 for the first time ever. Personally, I think it deserved more, but it again highlights the depth that exists in animation now as not only is this the top Dreamworks finish, but there are also 5 studios left to still have their top film revealed.

Even though I personally don’t see Dragon 1 as a top 20 animation, I do hope that Dreamworks can bounce back a little in 2023.

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 1

23rd – Frozen

590 points – 27 votes ( 1 First, 2 Top 5 , 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible 

2014 – 13th  

2016 –17th    

2018 – 23rd  

My personal ranking – 58th – Another film that I like a lot, but not to a top tier level as it tends to finish.

This is a weird film to talk about as it is essentially the Titanic of Animation. It is a very very strong film without being an all-time classic great. However, due to the amount of exposure and money that it head, it seems to swing widely between being massively overrated and then massively underrated, and then rinse and repeat.

As for our little list here, this year sees the little slips from list to list come to an end at least for now. Considering the number of previously high placing films that have slipped big this time around, that is an decent achievement.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

22nd – Pinocchio

594 points – 23 votes ( 1 First, 4 Top 5 , 4 top 10 )

2013 – 13th  

2014 – 19th  

2016 –18th    

2018 – 21st   

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – I know it is a classic, I know it has some great moments still, but it is perhaps for me the Classic non-princess Disney animation that feels its age when I watch it.

The highest rated pre-1990 Disney animation, Pinocchio continues to hold fast in and around the top 20 when many others have slipped. It is clearly a beloved classic my many as it secured 9 Top 10 votes, the most so far of any films.

We are really getting close to the crème de la crème at this point, so shall we go find out what was the final film to miss the top 20…

• Like 9
  • ...wtf 2

21st – Up

625 points – 32 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – 12th  

2014 – 18th  

2016 –15th    

2018 – 16th 

My personal ranking – 59th – A lot of Pixar films have a world class opening two acts before more often than I would like to admit, kind of stuttering through the climax. This film doesn’t bother waiting till act 2 by peaking after about 8 minutes. It is the highest of peaks to be fair.

Yet another film faced with its worst showing to date and its first time outside the top 20. Up is a film that is obviously famous for that opening montage, a montage that is up there with things like Bambi’s Mother and Mufasa, as animated moments one will never forget.

I do wish the rest of the film was better though, but I also understand why it does what it does as at the end of the day, Pixar needs children to watch these films and a Dog obsessed with squirrels that can talk and feel sad about the cone of shame, is obviously going to be more popular than having a scene where Carl tearfully has to put Dug to sleep after he went mad due to drinking tainted river water and bit Russel in his mania.

• Like 10

20th – My Neighbour To…tal Bollocks Totoro

646 points – 25 votes ( 1 First, 3 Top 5 , 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25  

2014 – 41st   

2016 –41st     

2018 – 36th 

My personal ranking – Not in top 513 – I mentioned before that there are two Ghibli films that I hate, one was Howl, and this abomination is the other. I first watched it about 3 years ago and I am still waiting for something to effing happen.

The story of a big lumbering cat thing that groans at small children while… wait apart from a bus and an umbrella, that is about it. This is also the final film from pre-1990 to make the list.

20th also sees Totoro making a big, big jump to enter the top 20 for the first time. In the 2018 list, Totoro received 17 votes, now it has 25, that is essentially a 50% increase in 3 years and is one of the biggest examples of how the easier access to these films has led to the Indy/foreign animation surge in this year’s iteration.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Knock It Off 1

19th – Moana

668 points – 28 votes ( 1 First, 2 Top 5, 4 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible  

2014 – Not Eligible   

2016 –Not Eligible    

2018 – 32nd  

My personal ranking – 8th – My personal 4th best WDAS film and the best of the 21st century. Also my 4th favourite animation of the 21st century.

Pre-release, this film felt like it was going to be the Onward of its year. It was coming in the wake of one of Disney’s best critical hits in… well of all time. It was the follow up musical to a film that broke all records as an animated musical. It was looking destined to be a pretty but ultimately flat release.

But then it came out and… I am going to say it. This is the best soundtrack of any Disney film from a consistency perspective. It may not have the all-time best songs of any film, but it has zero filler or let downs. The 5th best song in Moana beats any other 5th best song out there.

What is also interesting is that Moana has also risen 13 places from its debut, which is a rare feat when recency bias falls away.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

18th – Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

702 points – 29 votes ( 1 First, 4 Top 5 , 4 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible   

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 –Not Eligible

2018 – Not Eligible

My personal ranking – 28th – This film looked ugly, stupid, and a destined failure. Turns out it is beautiful, genius, and a smash hit success.

Who woulda thunk it eh? With also those Batman animations coming out to different levels of reactions, and Spider-Man obliterates them all at the first attempt.

There was a period  where it looked like Spiderverse may finish even higher before settling the right side of the top 20. We shall see in the next incarnation whether is the highest height, or the start of something special.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

17th – Zootopia

716 points – 31 votes ( 3 Top 5 , 4 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible  

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 –Not Eligible     

2018 – 15th 

My personal ranking – 34th – I really like Zootopia, it massively surprised me. It is also the third best animated film from its year.

And now we see the film I was referring to in the Moana write up. The film that ended up so good, it felt like it would be impossible for the next release to live up to it. 2018 seemed to suggest that was nominally the case as Zootopia finished 15th to Moana’s 32nd. However, this time around that 17 place gap is down to just two and it is not Zootopia that is the film in the ascendency.

It will be very interesting to see if the positions may even switch around when we get around to 2023.

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

16th – The Iron Giant

725 points – 29 votes ( 2 First, 1 Top 5 , 4 top 10 )

2013 – 17th  

2014 – 29th  

2016 –25th    

2018 – 22nd  

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 –I think it’s okay, but it isn’t top 100 material.

The role that helped Vin Diesel develop the range and subtlety required to bring Groot to life. This film is loved by many and it seems that this love is growing by the year as this is Giant’s best finish to date.

After dropping to pretty much 30th in its sophomore showing, Iron Giant has slowly but surely regained those lost 12 places, before now edging past.

Does the top 10 await its future? I don’t think so. If this vote is anything to go by, the top 13 are a world apart from what places below it.

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1

15th – Monster’s Inc.

731 points – 37 votes ( 1 Top 5 , 3 top 10 )

2013 – 11th  

2014 – 14th  

2016 –19th    

2018 – 18th 

My personal ranking – 69th – I think it is a very good film, but not a top tier film.

The thing is that when 37 people all feel that way, then you end up with the points needed to finish 15th. I think that if the list limit was set at 25, this is the kind of film that plummets down the list as it makes its points thanks to being an obvious choice for top 100. Top 25 though… maybe those 37 votes fall to just 7 or 8, Whereas Pinocchio for example, would potentially retain a much bigger percentage of its 23 votes.

Fun Fact, if all 37 people had placed it 69th as I did, that would have been good enough for about 28th place due to the sheer mountain of support.

(Also the comment that the top 13 are miles about everything else. There are 136 points separating Monsters Inc. in 15th and the film in 13th. If I added 136 points to 13th’s total on the other hand, it comes 3rd.  

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 2