chasmmi

BOT Top 150 Animated Films Countdown begins...

So, how about we just skip all this list nonsense and jump straight the top 5 reveal, eh? 

Ok, here goes...

List 1 2 3 4 5
1 Toy Story 3 Coco -8 Nemo -14 Toy Story - 18 Monsters Inc. -18
2 Coco Toy Story 3 -6 Lion King -7 Finding Nemo -24 Lego / Toy Story 2 -24
3 Spiderverse Coco -8 Toy Story 3  - 30 Ratatouille - 31 Lion King -31
4 Coco Spiderverse - 15 Mononoke  -15 Ratatouille  -25

Toy Story 3 - 29

Ok, so maybe this is only the top 5 as it stood after the first 4 lists I tallied were umm... tallied. But surely it won't change too much right? Numbers represent how many points behind first place a film is.)

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:10 AM, chasmmi said:

137th – A Silent Voice

111 points – 4 votes (1 top 10 )

2013 – Not eligible

2014 – Not eligible

2016 – Not eligible

2018 – Not in top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen

Here it is, the only film to make the top 150 with just 4 votes to its name. I have no idea what A Silent Voice is, but if in doubt, I think it is safe to assume it is set in Japan, stars high schoolers, and one of them is secretly in love with the other/ is possibly and mermaid or alien. Although not that I have said this, it’s gonna turn out to be fucking French and be the Persepolis fiasco from the Foreign Film list all over again.

Making its debut as a qualifying film, this film clearly has a small but passionate fan base and as so may be something worth checking out by anybody interested in modern Japanese animation.

It's actually a very grounded Japanese film about bullying and the subsequent ramifications of being a bully/bullied.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:43 AM, Jason said:

I've had A Silent Voice personally recommended to me twice (by people who know my taste) and it's been on my watchlist but ironically there's been a few times I've put it off because the strength of the recommendation makes me want to watch it when I'm stressed/tired etc. Was planning to squeeze it in for this list but didn't quite make it.

Going to try and watch this very soon.

I wouldn't recommend that as this is not a pick me up/ joyous film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

It's actually a very grounded Japanese film about bullying and the subsequent ramifications of being a bully/bullied.

I wouldn't recommend that as this is not a pick me up/ joyous film.

Oh jeez - yeah I mean to say that it makes me *NOT* want to watch it when I'm stressed and tired. Yeah I'm aware of that aspect of it.

• Like 2

Just now, Jason said:

Oh jeez - yeah I mean to say that it makes me *NOT* want to watch it when I'm stressed and tired. Yeah I'm aware of that aspect of it.

That makes a lot more sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

133rd – Wolf Children

113 points – 6 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – Not in top 100

2016 – 124th 

2018 –80th

:whosad: 

This film is so good, such a low ranking is a travesty especially since now that I have seen all of 2018's top 100 I know just how many bad to average films are going to show up on this list, particularly all those random Disney films.

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

132nd  – Ralph Breaks the Internet

115 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

Yup... a mediocre Disney film immediately shows up.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, chasmmi said:

136th – Fantastic Planet

112 points – 5 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – Not in top 100

2016 – 139th

2018 – Not in top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen – I’m guessing it’s about warlocks and woman in lycra that need rescuing or something.

I am pretty sure that Fantastic Planet is a hobby gamer’s shop, but it seems I may be wrong. I genuinely know nothing about this film other than it briefly flirted with the top 150 list back in 2016.

It feels like this is a sci-fi film and being from the 70s, I am going to stick with my guess of monsters, big bosomed people needing a rescue, and possibly a guy walking around with a giant sword in his underpants. Let’s have a look at a trailer and see…

I, um…

I wasn’t expecting that.

I saw it recently, just for the purposes of the countdown. It’s quite good. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ralph 2 was sort of ehh but the princess scene is such a delight.

We need a whole movie of them hanging out 🥺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

130th  – The Spongbob Squarepants Movie

116 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – Not in top 100

2016 – Not in top 150        

2018 – Not in top 100

My personal ranking – Not seen – Unless it’s the weird half live action one with…was it Banderas as a pirate, that was not a good film.

Spongbob is Nikelodeon (or however it’s spelt right? It would make sense as there seems to be something about their animated output that just never gelled with me. Let me check the so-called top 7 Nick Cartoons ever: Rocko’s Modern Life – never liked it. TMNT 3D Version – Nope, give me the OG version. Hey Arnold – No Thanks. Ren and Stimpy – One of the worst things ever IMHO, Spongbob – ah there he is – No thanks. Rugrats – not a fan at all. Doug – maybe fine I guess.  Yeah so this is a humour style that I absolutely do not get and so I’ll never understand the support the film gets.

Either way, this is Spongbob’s debut on any list and will do so as one of the few films to make it that are based on a TV show.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

129th  – Waltz With Bashir

117 points – 5 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – Not in top 100

2016 – Not in top 150        

2018 – Not in top 100

My personal ranking – Not seen – In my head, I am just picturing a film about people dancing with the TV reporter who once interviewed Michael Jackson.

This is a film that has consistently been on the periphery of each list in the past without actually making it onto any of them. I genuinely know nothing about this film other than it is one of three remaining films on this list to only receive 5 votes.

This is another film adding to the emerging trends of certain films with niche popularity putting on more impressive shows compared to previous installments.

• Like 6

128th  – Millennium Actress

119 points – 5 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – Not in top 100

2016 – Not in top 94th       

2018 – Not in top 91st

My personal ranking – Not seen – It’s another of the films by the Perfect Blue guy right?

After two lists flirting away at the bottom end of the top 100, this is a pretty significant drop down the pecking order. This is also the penultimate film on our list to only have 5 votes, and the 4th film in a row to be one that I have not seen and thus am stretching and stumbling to think of things to talk about.

Luckily this is about to change as I have both seen and voted for the next film on our list. (The one after that though…)

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

127th  – The Corpse Bride

121 points – 8 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – Not in top 100

2016 – Not in top 104th      

2018 – Not in top 100

My personal ranking – 44th – Along with Sweeny Todd, this was the swansong of the Depp/Burton combo being a good thing in cinema.

I am surprised that this is only the second time we’ve seen Corpse Bride on a list as I really like this film and it is far far superior to the nonsense being made involving button eyes and reanimated pet dogs or whatever.

This film is sort of Laika, but also not Laika technically, it definitely feels like this was the inspiration for the first couple of pure Laika releases that came to be. A fun, quasi-dark animation for kids with some good storytelling and visuals.

• Like 7

126th  – Paranorman

122 points – 10 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – 59th

2016 – 57th                  

2018 – Not in top 100

My personal ranking – Not Seen – I just… suspect that I will not like it.

A film that seems to have fallen out of favour over the past 5 years, Paranorman has gone from being a film knocking on the door of the top 50, to one that cannot break the top 100. Maybe there is a reason for it aging badly, maybe it is another victim of being bumped down lists in favour of the wider variety of films it is now possible to see.  

It is the first film to appear that received 10 votes (which makes the one remaining 5 vote hero still to reveal doubly impressive) and still maintains a level of general popularity without managing to be truly beloved by anyone.

• Like 7

125th  – The Lego Movie 2

123 points – 8 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 – Not Eligible           

2018 – Not Eligible

My personal ranking – 97th – Maybe it suffered from how unexpectedly good the first one was.   

The Original Lego Movie was a revelation when it released. It was a film that was obviously going to be an insulting cash in riding on the Lego Brand name, but then it wasn’t. Instead it was a film that probably should have won an Oscar, but didn’t.

From this point every Lego Movie kind of went the other way of having expectation that it would be another grand slam masterpiece and then… wasn’t. (They weren’t awful, they just weren’t amazing either.). Then Lego movie 2 comes along, probably 2 years later than it should have and definitely 2 sequels too late and… it’s a nice film. It gets better as it goes, but for me at least, it just kind of kept making me think of how it wasn’t quite as good as the first. Good ending though.

Lego Batman was 160th, Ninjago did not receive votes.

• Like 5

124th  Everywhere you go, Always take the Weathering With You

124 points – 6 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 – Not Eligible           

2018 – Not Eligible

My personal ranking – Not seen – It Japanese High School kids feeling sad about something right?   

So that is now two new releases since the last list in a row that find themselves in the limbo of 101st-150th. I have kind of heard this film is decent without having heard anything solid that inspires me to go out and actually try to see it (So similar to A Silent Voice, I want to Eat Your Pancreas and such in that regard).

I would love to add something of more substance, but I don’t want to make this thread more of a Crowded House than it already is.

• Like 7

123rd – Team America: Fuck Yeah World Police

125 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – 76th

2016 – 110th                 

2018 – 69th 

My personal ranking – 31st – I film that I still think is great, but instead of being a film that threatens my own personal top 10 because of how funny it is, ends up about 30th because of how many animated masterpieces it turns out there are.   

Trey Parker and Matt Stone definitely have a gift and it is a gift that many appreciate and many revile. Team America is a film that manages to do a great job being a comedy while remembering to have a point, and also remembers to make a point while remembering to be funny. Also the soundtrack is glorious.

This film has bounced around these lists a lot, weirdly managing to comfortably make the top 100 every time there is a top 100 countdown, but then dropping into the 100-150th region when the list becomes a top 150. We should do a top 50 and see it is randomly finishes 20th.

Also, if there was ever a top 100 film speeches/ monologue list, this would be a great contender.   

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

122nd  – An American Tale

125 points – 10 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – 92nd

2016 – 97th                  

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – 64th – I think it comes 4th in my top Don Bluth list.    

When this list came around, one of the things that interested me was how would Bluth do this time around. He has a number of cast iron hits in his library, but they are also dark and so when folks like me were were seeing them as kids because a giant shadowy cat trying to swallow your main child protagonist is absolutely G Rated fayre, maybe members in their 20s were not being shown these films from a young age and thus were not growing up with them.

That combined with the rise of access to Japanese, French and Irish films, meant there was a chance that kids like Fievel could get pushed out of the running. Regarding American Tale, it keeps its position on the list but continues the slide from inside the top 100 to err… not in the top 100.   

American Tale 2 finished in 206th.

• Like 10

121st  – Triplets of Belleville

126 points – 7 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – 86th 

2016 – 99th                  

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Not seen- Feels French    

A film that has followed almost an identical trajectory to An American Tale. Whether it is for the same reasons or not is open to interpretation.  

This film is always present on these lists and so clearly has a following within the forum. It does also seem to be a film that is not expanding its popularity with new watchers though.

• Like 5