chasmmi

BOT Top 150 Animated Films Countdown begins...

40 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

124th  Everywhere you go, Always take the Weathering With You

124 points – 6 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 – Not Eligible           

2018 – Not Eligible

My personal ranking – Not seen – It Japanese High School kids feeling sad about something right?   

So that is now two new releases since the last list in a row that find themselves in the limbo of 101st-150th. I have kind of heard this film is decent without having heard anything solid that inspires me to go out and actually try to see it (So similar to A Silent Voice, I want to Eat Your Pancreas and such in that regard).

I would love to add something of more substance, but I don’t want to make this thread more of a Crowded House than it already is.

Hopefully the first of many Makoto Shinkai films.

His films are gorgeous and usually the character relationships are very good. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

123rd – Team America: Fuck Yeah World Police

125 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – 76th

2016 – 110th                 

2018 – 69th 

My personal ranking – 31st – I film that I still think is great, but instead of being a film that threatens my own personal top 10 because of how funny it is, ends up about 30th because of how many animated masterpieces it turns out there are.   

Trey Parker and Matt Stone definitely have a gift and it is a gift that many appreciate and many revile. Team America is a film that manages to do a great job being a comedy while remembering to have a point, and also remembers to make a point while remembering to be funny. Also the soundtrack is glorious.

This film has bounced around these lists a lot, weirdly managing to comfortably make the top 100 every time there is a top 100 countdown, but then dropping into the 100-150th region when the list becomes a top 150. We should do a top 50 and see it is randomly finishes 20th.

Also, if there was ever a top 100 film speeches/ monologue list, this would be a great contender.   

A travesty that this is so low. Derka Derka! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

123rd – Team America: Fuck Yeah World Police

125 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in top 25

2014 – 76th

2016 – 110th                 

2018 – 69th 

My personal ranking – 31st – I film that I still think is great, but instead of being a film that threatens my own personal top 10 because of how funny it is, ends up about 30th because of how many animated masterpieces it turns out there are.   

Trey Parker and Matt Stone definitely have a gift and it is a gift that many appreciate and many revile. Team America is a film that manages to do a great job being a comedy while remembering to have a point, and also remembers to make a point while remembering to be funny. Also the soundtrack is glorious.

This film has bounced around these lists a lot, weirdly managing to comfortably make the top 100 every time there is a top 100 countdown, but then dropping into the 100-150th region when the list becomes a top 150. We should do a top 50 and see it is randomly finishes 20th.

Also, if there was ever a top 100 film speeches/ monologue list, this would be a great contender.   

A travesty that this is so low. Derka Derka! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tower said:

Why were films from 1986 and 2003 not eligible for the 2013 list?

I'm re-editing the same post with new stats and info, and sometimes I forget to notice that Not in the top 25 says Not Eligible. 

• Like 2

120th  – The Aristocats

128 points – 8 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100

2016 – 123rd                 

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – I’ve seen it, but as a youngling and it clearly did not stick with me like others have  

Despite being about 20 years apart, I always (largely incorrectly) felt like you were either an Aristocats person or an Oliver and Company person (or seeing as Oliver came 202nd, it appears most likely a ‘neither’ person.

So with that said, what we can deduce here is that Aristocats has and always will be about the 120th best animated film ever and that almost everybody on this forum hates both cats and dogs… oh yeah American Tale already appeared too didn’t it so, yeah, and mice as well.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

119th  – Kung Fu Panda 3

136 points – 10 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 – Not Eligible           

2018 –100th 

My personal ranking – 11th – The Second best part of one of the top 3 trilogies in film history.  

Dreamworks and I have a complicated relationship. They release a film with a terrible name, sounding concept, or trailer, then I refuse to watch it, then I eventually watch it, finally I discover it was great all along.

This never happened more overtly that with the Kung Fu Panda franchise. There was no way I was going to watch these films, they sounded awful and just for kids (like actually just for kids, not for kids but adults may enjoy).

Then I was stuck on a 14 hour flight that had the same film line up as the outbound flight I had been on two week earlier, so I was stuck with watching my 11th choice film from the options – Kung Fu Panda 1…and it was great, like truly great. I immediately sought out the sequel when I got home and it was even better! Then a few years later, the third came out and lo and behold! – It was nearly as good as the second one.  

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

118th  – The Fox and the Hound

138 points – 8 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 75th 

2016 – 96th                  

2018 – 92nd 

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – It was just about the last film to be knocked out of my own top 100.  

A first appearance outside of the top 100 for Fox and the Hound and another older Disney film that is seeing its popularity slide (assumedly) in favour of newer/easier to access options.

The Fox and the Hound is a film that I remember as being very sad, but also with a lot of heart and a lovely ending. Yet it is also a film that I remember surprisingly little of considering child me must have watched it dozens of times.

• Like 10

117th  – Basil: The Great Mouse Detective

138 points – 11 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100

2016 – 68th                  

2018 – 80th 

My personal ranking – 94th – I watched it a few days before deadline and found it charming, if lacking a little compared to what Disney was to release in the ensuing decade.

All through the tallying of these votes, Basil was on the outside looking in. It seemed destined to be a film that received a lot of low ranking votes so appeared popular without actually making the countdown. Then it received a vital top 10 placement that propelled it into top 150 status alongside a couple more last gasp placements which allowed it to make its 117th finishing spot.

This film has a pretty unique trajectory over the previous lists. It began outside the top 100, before making a big play to almost crack top 50. Then it slid a little down to 80th and now it is back where it was in the crazy days of 2014.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

116th  – The Castle of Cagliostro

140 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100

2016 – Not in Top 150        

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen – I always kind of assume it’s an old Ghibli film I have not seen, but turns out that is not the case.

This is a film that I remember getting voted for every year as I always had to remember to not combine the points with Castle in the Sky. But whereas Castle in the Sky is a Miyazaki film prefaced with the some girl’s name beginning with L and is a fantasy story about a castle or some such, Cagliostro is actually a Miyazaki film prefaced with some guy’s name beginning with L and is a fantasy story about a castle or some such.

Also, this seems to be part of a series that includes the title, Lupin III Part 1 and I am done with all these Breaking Dawn, Deathly Hallows, split the final part into parts nonsense.

• Like 11

115th  – Shaun the Sheep Movie

142 points – 9 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 – 117th                 

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – I watched this just before deadline and it was… cute, maybe even quaint. But nothing about it yelled greatness to me. Maybe just a quaint simple film for quaint simple people.  

A second spot on the list for Aardman, which makes my spellchecker sad. Shaun the Sheep is a simple film with a simple arc that seems to have charmed enough people for it to continue to knock on the door of the top 100. It fared a lot better than its sequel which received one solitary vote from one solitary soul, but regardless, maybe in 2023, we shall see Shaun burst into the top 100.

Also maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I didn’t watch what I assume was the Bulgarian dub of the film by mistake.

• Like 7

114th  – Waking Life

143 points – 5 votes ( 1 top 5, 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100

2016 – 101st

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen – So as always I go with the assumption that it is Japanese High schoolers lamenting their lives, possibly with superpowers.

I should be fairer to this film as it clearly is strongly loved by those that voted for it. Give me a sec while I just go watch the trailer at least…

Okay… umm, what? That was… I suppose I should assume that this is some auteur type deal and I needed to go to film school to understand why it is a work of genius right?

This is the great thing about subjectivity though, I am free to vote for Pandas and others are free to vote for squiggly, wobbly people and neither of us are wrong to do so.

This is also the final film to make the list with only 5 votes and even more impressively, the penultimate film to do so with less than 8 votes.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

113th  – Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

143 points – 11 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 67th 

2016 – 60th                  

2018 – 96th 

My personal ranking – 92nd

Another film similar to Ice Age I feel. A film that has perennially received votes in order to fill out a list because it is decent and enjoyable, but now is finding those spots harder to come across as more films are watched. Madagascar is another franchise to be hit by this as it has zero representation in the top 150 with its highest placement being Madagascar 3 in 177th.

That said, I still found room for Cloudy (just) as I do think it is a film that is just that little bit better than decent. Whether this remains so in 2023 when there are a couple dozen new contenders for that 92nd spot… we shall see

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

112th  – Anomalisa  

145 points – 7 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible

2016 – Not in Top 150        

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen – I am going to take a punt and guess this one is French.  

This film was riding high at the start of my tallying. It received big votes early and was comfortably inside the top 100, then it just stopped getting votes and in the end required a late rally to cement a place in the top 150.

The first time on this list, Anomalisa is a film I know so little about that I keep trying to write the title with two o’s.

I also now see that it is a 3D Stop Motion film written by Andy Kaufmann and is described as a psychological romantic comedy drama, so I am assuming that if you liked Waking Like then give this a try and vice versa.

• Like 4

111th  – The Three Caballeros

146 points – 8 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100

2016 – Not in Top 150

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – I mean… really? Really?

Review: Disney's The Three Caballeros — Disnerd Movie Challenge

And we finish this section with the story of when Donald Duck went on vacation to try and Me Too himself in Brazil.

In my adult memory there have only been two animated films I have chosen to switch off and not watch the end because of how bad they were. Now there are three. It is fair to say that I did not like this at all.

I will say that the animation over live action effects still blow me away for how good they look considering when the film was made. But Yeah, this was a no from me.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

Okay, I think it is time to update how the top 5 race is going. Here is how it stood after 8 lists:

List 1 2 3 4 5
1 Toy Story 3 Coco -8 Nemo -14 Toy Story - 18 Monsters Inc. -18
2 Coco Toy Story 3 -6 Lion King -7 Finding Nemo -24 Lego / Toy Story 2 -24
3 Spiderverse Coco -8 Toy Story 3  - 30 Ratatouille - 31 Lion King -31
4 coco Spiderverse - 15 Mononoke  -15 Ratatouille  -25 Toy Story 3 - 29
5 Mononoke coco -5 spiderverse -7 spirited away -11 toy story 3 - 19
6 Mononoke Lion King -17 toy story 3 -25 spirited away -28 Wall E -33
7 The Lion King Mononoke  -9 Toy Story 3  - 10 Beauty and Beast  -19 Wall E -22
8 mononoke toy story 3  -5 Wall E  - 7 Spirited Away  - 10 Inside Out  - 16
  • Like 4

110th  – Happy Feet

146 points – 9 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 91st 

2016 – 95th

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen – There are only so many animated penguins I can deal with

This film had a really weird voting trajectory. It was nowhere for almost the entire tallying run (I think it was on about 40 points with only about 7 or 8 lists left to go). Then it just received a run of votes on list after list after list and eventually almost cracked the top 100.

This also seems to continue the film’s slight, slow downward trajectory from just inside the top 100 to just outside the top 100. Should I maybe watch this one day?

• Like 6