chasmmi

BOT Top 150 Animated Films Countdown begins...

64th – The Incredibles 2

277 points – 17 votes ( 2 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not Eligible  

2016 –Not Eligible

2018 – Not Eligible

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – For a long time, Incredibles 1 was in the conversation for the best Pixar film ever. This… was not.

A film that pretty much everybody was waiting for for over a decade. One of the most anticipated films and one that felt like it could easily have sequels without stretching the narrative. Sadly, bar a couple of scenes (the Jack Jack stuff for example) this was just a decent film in my mind.

It will be interesting to see if this film rises or falls in future versions.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 2

63rd – Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the WereRabbit

284 points – 16 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 38th   

2016 –79th

2018 – 76th

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – It’s cute, but nothing special in my eyes.  

Were-Rabbit finally bounces back a little after that big drop from 2014-2016. Also the third Stop-motion film to appear in the space of 8 reveals.

This film is a lovely little film that seems to have a lot of love in some quarters. I will admit that I am not quite there myself, but I can see why, and it is good to have this variety in the top 100.

• Like 9

62nd – Persepolis

291 points – 12 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 77th   

2016 –74th

2018 – 67th

My personal ranking – Not Seen – Although I am now aware that it is not a Japanese film. So I am growing.

That is a pretty consistent increase over 7 years. Each time rising a couple of places from the previous installment. Will also be interesting to see if it can keep this up and maybe make it into the top 50 at some point.

It does seem that we have started to see the identities of some of the films that are responsible for the big drops that we have seen so far.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

61st – Finding Dory

298 points – 18 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible    

2016 –58th

2018 – 72nd

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – Not in top 200, or 300, or 400. Still better than Nemo though.

There are a very small number of Pixar films that I openly dislike (in fact there are two). This is then the next worst on the list in my eyes. I am fully aware that I am about the only person on this entire forum to not be a fan of the Finding films, and that is fine because if everybody agreed with me all the time life would be boring. I mean, I could be elected President, but it would be boring.

As far as it’s list progression, it seems that now that the recency bias has subsided, it is finding its place in the collective 100 as a film that will be safely in the top 100, but not troubling top 50.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

61st – Finding Dory

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 34th   

2016 –58th

2018 – 72nd

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – Not in top 200, or 300, or 400. Still better than Nemo though.

There are a very small number of Pixar films that I openly dislike (in fact there are two). This is then the next worst on the list in my eyes. I am fully aware that I am about the only person on this entire forum to not be a fan of the Finding films, and that is fine because if everybody agreed with me all the time life would be boring. I mean, I could be elected President, but it would be boring.

As far as it’s list progression, it seems that now that the recency bias has subsided, it is finding its place in the collective 100 as a film that will be safely in the top 100, but not troubling top 50.

I was thinking damn time flies.  It does but not that quickly.  It came out in 2016  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

70th – Kubo and the Two Strings

246 points – 15 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Eligible 

2016 –107th

2018 – 50th 

My personal ranking – 15th – Yeah, it’s a masterpiece in my eyes

For me, this is hands down the best stop-motion film ever made. I know that others will very much disagree (I mean this list disagrees).

This is Kubo’s third bow in a list and it is a pretty steep drop also after a good increase the list before. It is a shame for me to think that this may be another great animation from a smaller studio that is going to fade away over the next few lists.  

I agree with you - this movie made me cry at the end like few, very few, animated movies ever do...maybe on a rewatch, I wouldn't like it as much, but for me right now, it would be Top 20 animated...

• Like 2

61st – Finding Dory

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible    

2016 –58th

2018 – 72nd

Are you sure you're not reading my mind?  Maybe next time, just double your list b/c between this opinion and Kubo, we seem to be mindmelding...

I HATE Finding Dory, although I find Finding Nemo fine b/c the schtick wasn't yet old (but gawd, by FD, I wanted to shoot myself:)...

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

On 8/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, chasmmi said:

72nd – Tarzan

237 points – 13 votes ( 1 top 5, 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 34th   

2016 –56th

2018 – 59th

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – Not I still appreciate it, just not quite top 100 level.

And straight after Hunchback comes another post-renaissance output from Disney. Tarzan boasts one of the most Phil Collinsian soundtracks of any animated film and that clearly divided audiences a little.

I know that some may decry that this is almost in the top 70, but to those I say, “It used to be 34th! The world is clearly healing.”

the only Disney movie that deserved better on here

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This list is giving me so much whiplash.

it’s pretty much

Mediocre bottom tier Disney Film

Mediocre Illumination film

Great Non-Mainstream Animation

Mediocre Dreamworks film

Great Foreign Animation

Bottom Tier Pixar Film

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

it’s pretty much

Mediocre Dreamworks film

Great Foreign Animation

Bottom Tier Pixar Film

Fuck you mean Curse of the Were-Rabbit is mediocre? 😠 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:

65th – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

271 points – 16 votes ( 2 top 10 )

2013 –23rd

2014 – 21st     

2016 –35th

2018 – 24th

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – A classic and one of the most important films ever made. But, not quite top 100 for me anymore.

Well it was a nice run of films increasing while it lasted, hey? Now we see a film that has been a constant member of the top 25 club and it misses the top 50 completely. I’ll admit that this shocked me quite a bit as I thought that Snow White would easily make top 50 at worst because it is Snow White.

Turns out nothing is sacred anymore.

Glad to see it drop significantly, I can only hope that it does the same next time and falls entirely out of the top 100. Being the first doesn't excuse being the worst, and this abominable crap is still the the worst animation I have ever seen, and having it above a great film like Princess Kaguya is a travesty.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

So is the top five is standing after X amount of lists, or are you saying that those are the top five from each list and you revealed 15 so far? I’m just trying to figure out how to read that graph

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cap said:

So is the top five is standing after X amount of lists, or are you saying that those are the top five from each list and you revealed 15 so far? I’m just trying to figure out how to read that graph

It is the running top 5 after x number of lists in real time as I marked them myself. 

So, for example to read the most recent bottom line.

After grading 16 lists, Spirited Away was in the lead with Princess Mononoke in 2nd 25 points back, Followed by Finding Nemo, Inside out and then Lion King in 5th 54 points down.

• Astonished 1

15 hours ago, The Panda said:

it’s pretty much

Mediocre Dreamworks film

Great Foreign Animation

Bottom Tier Pixar Film

I will argue that the next 10 is the strongest run of 10 so far, although not perfect. 

• Like 2

60th – Ponyo

306 points – 19 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 72nd   

2016 –66th

2018 – 60th

My personal ranking – Not Seen – But it is basically the bastard child of Little Mermaid and Luca right?

So, I’ve just finished reading comments about the scattergun reveals of Disney this, Dreamworks that, and great Japanese other. And we kick off this group with Ponyo… which I get told is great, but I also get told is bad. I get told to watch it because I must love it, but also get told not to watch it because I will certainly hate it. So yeah, I confused.

What is noticeable though is that while many Ghibli films have been hitting their highest ever spots in this list, Ponyo has topped out and just matched its previous position. I find that curious.

• Like 10

59th – How To Train Your Dragon 2

308 points – 18 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 24th   

2016 –52nd

2018 – 41st

My personal ranking – 42nd – Second best film in the second best animated trilogy.

Another one of Dreamworks’ big hitters fails to hit the top 50 and actually shows its worst showing to date. I feel it has been a bit of a struggle for Dreamworks in this list as they are fighting to keep as many of their films on the list as they can amidst an onslaught of foreign darlings, indie darlings, and new Disney darlings.

I’m glad to see it still doing well, but how many lists more this will be the case… who knows.

• Like 10

58th – Toy Story 4

314 points – 17 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not Eligible   

2016 –Not Eligible

2018 – Not Eligible

My personal ranking – Not in Top 100 – For Me there are only 2 Toy Story films that are top 100 worthy, and this is not one of them. Not by a long shot.  

I found Toy Story 4 to be very mediocre. No scrap that, the first half is just plain dull and not much at all. Then in the second half everything changes and it becomes aggressively fine.

In my eyes, this is a film that will peak with its first placement on this list and then slowly fall more and more over the next few installments.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

57th – Kung Fu Panda 2

316 points – 16 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 50th   

2016 –44th 

2018 – 53rd

My personal ranking – 6th – Best film in the best animated trilogy of all time.

I said in my comments on Kung Fu Panda 3 that I feel this is the best animated trilogy ever and a bunch of films that sounded horrible on paper, but then did that Dreamworks thing of actually being really, really, good. This is a fucking wonderful film and screw you all for not getting it even into the top 50.

Although the lowest finish the film has ever seen, this is still a solid consolidation over previous years for a film that has been consistently around the same spot in every iteration of this list.

• Like 10