Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I literally cannot count the amount of times I’ve been to the theater since they reopened lol. I saw Lord of the Rings in theaters last weekend though that was cool

I envy you. I never watched LOTR in theatre, was too young at that time and probably never will. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've seen Tenet (bad movie), AQP2, In The Heights, F9, and Black Widow since COVID-19. Next will be Stillwater, can't wait to see MAGA Damon on the big screen. August looks dire but Candyman scared the shit out of me as a kid so if reviews are good, I'll be there. I'm betting the Hugh Jackman sci-fi joint is probably bad based on release date and lack of marketing.

I've seen Sonic (new for $1 at AMC reopen last summer), Tenet, Halloween (rewatch for the classics), Lego Movie (rewatch for kid summer movies), Lego Ninjago (new for kid summer movies), Croods 2 (new for kid summer movies), Detective Pikachu (rewatch for kid summer movies), and Space Jam 2 (next week).  So, 8 total since March 16 2020 (the day we shut) after next Tuesday...and I have another movie or two in mind by Labor Day...

I pretty much went to the theater in 2020 from July-end of Oct til my area went bad...and then went back to start this summer 2021 when my area went back to great numbers and my top 3 kids were vaxxed (we do have 1 unvaxxed, but our positivity rate is under 1%, so I take him...I'll probably stop again if we get above 5% unless he's vaxxed)...

• Like 1

Lots of people blaming PA and Piracy (solely) again… Yeah - I mean release strategy is definitely one of the key factors but isn’t legs also affected by the quality of the film itself?

Other than the inflated RT audience score, the scores everywhere else seemed below average for a MCU film.

Again I would say, even with PA and piracy - it would have opened better and have better legs if WoM from general audience was better. If we are talking about a 90% RT critic score, IMDB score of 7.5 and Cinemascore of A/A+ (somewhat typical of a MCU film), it might have opened to 100m last weekend and might see smaller drop this week.

but ya everyone is blaming PA and piracy solely without thinking about the film’s own WoM / quality.

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

It’s a massive drop for Widow. Especially considering the drop on OW from Friday to Saturday. 

Will the ‘streaming makes no difference’ crowd please throw in the towel.  Piracy and putting it on tv day one was not a good move. Just like Cruella. Just like Raya. Just like Mulan. 

So we're just supposed to ignore that Space Jam Legacy is a success and Disney got 60 m OW from PA?

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I need to watch more Family Guy (I haven't watched that show for a looong time, and never saw this one:)...but great minds and all:)...(and I owe you a like)...

You know if you pay for a premium account you get more likes ;) 

• Like 1

Can’t wait for Candyman! 

Hopefully marketing kicks into high gear in August. 

And I’ve been to see 11 different films since cinemas opened here on 17th May. A 12th tomorrow, so 12 in 8 weeks. 

Edited by Krissykins

9 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I envy you. I never watched LOTR in theatre, was too young at that time and probably never will. 

This was actually my first time seeing them besides fellowship lol. I just had never gotten around them but seeing them in at the theater with an amped up audience was honestly worth the wait

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

You know if you pay for a premium account you get more likes ;) 

I know, I know...let me pay my kids' college tuition for the year 1st (since, no matter where you go, every college knows what they want you to pay so they all come in at the same price, no matter how much they start at:)...it was amazing to see merit scholarships priced out JUST that way, whether it was the state school, the out of state public school, or the private school:)...

But that's for another board:)...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

well this is really disappointing. movies are dead i guess 

It made a lot more money than I thought it would, but then again I know basically nothing about it.   

Movies are indeed dead though, a Black Widow movie missing 30M 2nd weekend is a sure sign.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

well this is really disappointing. movies are dead i guess 

Considering that it's a film with little to no marketing from a tiny distributor, this number seems good to me.  Would've loved to watch this weekend in the cinemas but it seems like the movie isn't ever releasing here (did watch a great Nic Cage movie today tho).

But considering that a bigger studio who would've been able to more sufficiently marketed this didn't release a real film like this and that the two biggest movies of the weekend are both pieces of shits, I agree movies are dead though.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

We cannot claim theaters are dead on a day a kids movie makes 65% of its opening weekend tracking on opening day lol. As bad as that movie looks, it’s clear families and the next generation want movie theaters to stick around

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blankments said:

We cannot claim theaters are dead on a day a kids movie makes 65% of its opening weekend tracking on opening day lol. As bad as that movie looks, it’s clear families and the next generation want movie theaters to stick around

They want theatres to stick around so they can watch infomercials. 

2 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

BUt I THOuGHT AuDIEnCeS woULd HatE THe mOvIE!

What a shock that audiences love a movie critics hate.

It's a kid movie. Kids will like anything with big flashy crap and parents will like anything that keeps their kid entertained for a couple of hours.

6 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

BUt I THOuGHT AuDIEnCeS woULd HatE THe mOvIE!

What a shock that audiences love a movie critics hate.

see this is a shock for me because I thought audiences would hate how they desexualized the girl bunny.