Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I owe you a like (somehow, I'm out already:)...and yeah, I think this would be higher without the pandemic and day and date.  But. I'll take best WB opening of the pandemic (although that's kinda unfair to a few of the previous movies who were stuck with no theaters or seats:)...

Excited to see how Sucide Squad will do; hopefully it overpeforms as well.

Pretty sure it will take over the crown of WB's best opening in the pandemic.

42 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Lots of people blaming PA and Piracy (solely) again… Yeah - I mean release strategy is definitely one of the key factors but isn’t legs also affected by the quality of the film itself?

Other than the inflated RT audience score, the scores everywhere else seemed below average for a MCU film.

Again I would say, even with PA and piracy - it would have opened better and have better legs if WoM from general audience was better. If we are talking about a 90% RT critic score, IMDB score of 7.5 and Cinemascore of A/A+ (somewhat typical of a MCU film), it might have opened to 100m last weekend and might see smaller drop this week.

but ya everyone is blaming PA and piracy solely without thinking about the film’s own WoM / quality.

That was also a factor reception being lower tier mcu movie didnt help with that plus pa (stupid idea) and pandemic and we got this result

Just now, john2000 said:

That was also a factor reception being lower tier mcu movie didnt help with that plus pa (stupid idea) and pandemic and we got this result

Yeah exactly. I mean PA / piracy definitely had impact but the film itself wasn't that great - and that is also a factor for legs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Lots of people blaming PA and Piracy (solely) again… Yeah - I mean release strategy is definitely one of the key factors but isn’t legs also affected by the quality of the film itself?

This.

Although PA blame is quite right as it has catalysed the reception but holds are bad at many places with other movies holding better, which suggests the low quality.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TigerPaw said:

Yeah exactly. I mean PA / piracy definitely had impact but the film itself wasn't that great - and that is also a factor for legs.

Imo it shouldnt have gone with pa 2 months ago they could stll change the strategy they saw what a quite place did and the more stupud thing is that imo the marketing stll leans almost exlusively to movie theaters not on d+ so why the hell you had it like a pa release....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So we're just supposed to ignore that Space Jam Legacy is a success and Disney got 60 m OW from PA?

Nothing I said was to do with Space Jam. 

The second weekend is not a great hold with basically no competition, from an already depleted opening weekend once Friday was done.  All due to people watching it for free. 

don’t even get me started on 2 million people paying for it worldwide on Disney+.  How many millions of people watched it for free because of that decision? It’ll be colossal numbers. 

Without the PA decision BW would have been well past $200 million domestic by the end of the weekend

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 3

The irony of this statement is I'm seeing Widow again tonight cause Mom wants to see it.  And she wouldn't go with my the first time.  And fighting with her about how "I'm good, thanks" is not worth it, so we're going.  #supportyourlocalcinema

So, anyway,

I don't think I can stress enough how much Black Widow got fucked with its delay. 

The movie was supposed to come out in May 2020.  It was supposed to be a finale send off for Natasha after Endgame.  In that timeline, it works. We're still very much in Fandom's Anger/Depression/Bargain Stages of Grief.  Natashas fans were still VERY heated about her dying in the Endgame; there was still a hint or crazy hope that "she could return somehow".  Right?

But now it's been two years and Fandom's reached Acceptance. And many have moved on.  Scanning the social media sites like twitter and tumblr in the past two weeks the discussions been dominated by Loki.  When it's not, people are talking about Yelena not Natasha.  There's not a lot of "I'm going back to rewatch it" -- or even "I've watched it a bunch of times on Disney+".

The MCU does so well because is has amazing and passionate fans that do repeating viewings.  If the overall attitude is Black Widow was a "one and done", that explains the C R U M b l iiinggg second weekend.  Add in the Premium Access option, and you might as well lower that coffin six feet under.  

I don't know what this will mean for Shang-Chi or Eternals.  

I do know, I'm not really shocked by any of this.  Nor am I ready to write off Cinemas As DEAD.  Space Jam's off to a good start, and F9 is speeding along.  People -- when they have the ability, COVID still exists -- have been going back to the movies. Only slowly.  It's going to be a very long five months to December.  

ETA:

Not going to double post, but We've started our Western today and you should join in:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5423825182?pwd=T1VuUmJ5OVB1ZjRNQmNHRVpDQ3lkUT09

Meeting ID: 542 382 5182
Passcode: BOT

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Let’s see.

I saw Back to the Future, Muppets Christmas Carol, Jurassic World, Empire Strikes Back, Emperor’s New Groove, Clue, Hunt for Red October and Die Hard before stuff was coming out, because I could find empty showings and feel safer.

Ive seen Tenet, WW84, Nobody, Raya, GVK, MK, Black Widow, F9, Cruella, Boss Baby 2, Space Jam 2Wrath of Man, Top Gun and Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard.

I wash my hands, wear my mask, sanitize, everything you’re supposed to do and I got Vaxxed as soon as I possibly could

• Like 4

by the way. I still think BW is very much being talked about and seen more than any other movie in the world this weekend. 

I don’t think the drop is anything to do with the quality of the movie. I, for one, liked it more than quite a few of the MCU movies, and I’m sure plenty feel the same. They just don’t have to go to the theater to see it again, or even for the first time.  And that just plain sucks. 

Bring on the 45 day window and get it over with. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t think the drop is anything to do with the quality of the movie. I, for one, liked it more than quite a few of the MCU movies, and I’m sure plenty feel the same. 

WoM from people around me; all of whom watched in theaters have been pretty medicore.

At least for them it is one of the weaker MCU films.

I mean the RT critics score, IMDB score and even cinemascore basically proves that. Heck the douban score shows that too..

You can have your likes and dislikes; and I am not going to debate that. But to assume most people think it is great and WoM has no impact on legs is too far-fetched.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

We may not be able to quantify how much BW is impacted by PA, but one thing for sure, PA is not helping its  box office run. I have never heard a movie did well in cinema because of day-date release strategy 

I mean Raya and Cruella saw great legs; Cruella not just domestically but overseas as well..

While the quantum is obviously different, size much smaller but I think WoM is a key factor for legs - with or without PA.

Also - GvK's legs in China were not cut in its 2nd weekend (onward) when HD copy was everywhere

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

We may not be able to quantify how much BW is impacted by PA, but one thing for sure, PA is not helping its  box office run. I have never heard a movie did well in cinema because of day-date release strategy 

We just had a day-and-date movie premiere this weekend and did well. Deadline also said GvK is supposed to turn in a profit last time I checked 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1