Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

5 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

We just had a day-and-date movie premiere this weekend and did well. Deadline also said GvK is supposed to turn in a profit last time I checked 

But can you attribute this day-to date release strategy? How much the day-date strategy boost box office??  Are you suggesting that GvK pass 100m thanks to HBO max release?

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

With Space Jam 2 it's nice to see a movie with a minority lead and cast doing well after the bombage of In The Heights. Sports > Musicals?

Minorities embraced SJ2 and boosted the box office bigly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Why are you talking about a movie which has disappeared from the public conversation altogether?

The movie that has a meme trending on TikTok for a month and that I literally have fifteen children begging me to show at work everyday? Yeah okay

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

We just had a day-and-date movie premiere this weekend and did well. Deadline also said GvK is supposed to turn in a profit last time I checked 

You forgot The Conjuring 3, which was also day and date - that production budget was only $39M against now $184M WW and counting...even with P&A, that will also likely turn a profit, I would think...

I think it would be more interesting if free access has less effect on overall box office than pay access.  Pay access, you're already pissed you're paying so much so you want to share far and wide...free access and it's just a nice benny for you, and maybe you share, or maybe you just encourage your friend to sign up for HBO Max, too:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

5 minutes ago, Blankments said:

The movie that has a meme trending on TikTok for a month and that I literally have fifteen children begging me to show at work everyday? Yeah okay

Hold up I need to see the TikTok meme pronto :lol:

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Nothing I said was to do with Space Jam. 

The second weekend is not a great hold with basically no competition, from an already depleted opening weekend once Friday was done.  All due to people watching it for free. 

don’t even get me started on 2 million people paying for it worldwide on Disney+.  How many millions of people watched it for free because of that decision? It’ll be colossal numbers. 

Without the PA decision BW would have been well past $200 million domestic by the end of the weekend

What about F9?

Why is a low 70m OW perfectly acceptable?

It's a theater exclusive.

And if piracy and PA are so horrible then why does SJ2 have a solid OW?

It's currently free on HBO Max.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, Blankments said:

I like how you always fall back on "I work with children so I know what's what" instead of acknowledging that your social circle might be skewed.

Just now, grim22 said:

I like how you always fall back on "I work with children so I know what's what" instead of acknowledging that your social circle might be skewed.

Bitch I’m not even on Tiktok 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Betting neither Eternals nor Shang-Chi have PA (thank god)

Shang-Chi might have same day. Eternals won’t.

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

Shang-Chi might have same day. Eternals won’t.

Exactly my thoughts.

Shang Chi has a few things going against it; the trailers were not good at all IMO + delta variant probably peaking in many overseas countries (even in the states) in the next month or two.

I think Eternals will be a solid film and do well.

• Like 1