Jump to content
Dear Eric Hansen

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

When was the last time a Traditonally 2d animated movie opened at number 1? Sucks that even SpongeBob 2 and 3 were CGI.

 The Princess and the Frog opened at #1, but that was after two weekends of limited release. To my knowledge, Tarzan in 1999 was the last (purely) hand-drawn animated film to hit #1 on its first weekend.

 

EDIT: I totally forgot about The Simpsons Movie.

Edited by Sir Tiki
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I like how you always fall back on "I work with children so I know what's what" instead of acknowledging that your social circle might be skewed.

Yes, because knowing what children think of a children’s film is definitely something other users here can offer up to the conversation.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Feel like Spongebob 2 counts if we consider Space Jam 2 2D. The CG stuff is only in the movie for like 15 minutes

Was it? All i remember seeing was the CGI in commericals and marketing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CrashBandicoot81 said:

Was it? All i remember seeing was the CGI in commericals and marketing.

Yeah they pretty much showed all the CG scenes and jokes in the trailers. Was kind of a pleasant little catfish all things considered

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Nothing I said was to do with Space Jam. 
 

The second weekend is not a great hold with basically no competition, from an already depleted opening weekend once Friday was done.  All due to people watching it for free. 
 

don’t even get me started on 2 million people paying for it worldwide on Disney+.  How many millions of people watched it for free because of that decision? It’ll be colossal numbers. 

 

Without the PA decision BW would have been well past $200 million domestic by the end of the weekend

 

People watching it on Disney plus is exactly what Disney wants though. Even if a portion of them are watching it for free (and I think you are exaggerating a bit just how many of them are watching it for free) it still means their eyes are on their streaming service. A streaming service that we all know is a far bigger priority for them than the movie theaters are. I'm sure a certain portion of them paid for a new subscription to watch it on Disney plus and if some watched it for free on disney plus a portion of that group also paid for a new subscription.

 

People are just going to have to come around to this being the new normal. THe days of movies getting 150-200m OW domestic and legging their way from repeat viewing to a billion dollars is likely over for the most part. Probably even more than opening weekends where streaming will affect theaters is that people won't be as inclined to go pay for a full ticket again of a movie they have already seen when they will just have to wait a few weeks to watch it on their streaming site as many times as they want for the price of a regular monthly subscription.

 

And that again is exactly what Disney wants to happen because it puts eyes on their streaming site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Feel like Spongebob 2 counts if we consider Space Jam 2 2D. The CG stuff is only in the movie for like 15 minutes

I would consider SpongeBob to be a hybrid much like Space Jam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

Yes, because knowing what children think of a children’s film is definitely something other users here can offer up to the conversation.

You mean users who actually, and this is just me spitballing, have kids?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You mean users who actually, and this is just me spitballing, have kids?

Just because Blanks doesn’t have 1 or 2 kids of his own, it doesn’t mean his work experience with the one or two dozen kids that he takes care of on a weekly basis is any less valid than yours or any other parent user here on this forum. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

 

People watching it on Disney plus is exactly what Disney wants though. Even if a portion of them are watching it for free (and I think you are exaggerating a bit just how many of them are watching it for free) it still means their eyes are on their streaming service. A streaming service that we all know is a far bigger priority for them than the movie theaters are. I'm sure a certain portion of them paid for a new subscription to watch it on Disney plus and if some watched it for free on disney plus a portion of that group also paid for a new subscription.

 

People are just going to have to come around to this being the new normal. THe days of movies getting 150-200m OW domestic and legging their way from repeat viewing to a billion dollars is likely over for the most part. Probably even more than opening weekends where streaming will affect theaters is that people won't be as inclined to go pay for a full ticket again of a movie they have already seen when they will just have to wait a few weeks to watch it on their streaming site as many times as they want for the price of a regular monthly subscription.

 

And that again is exactly what Disney wants to happen because it puts eyes on their streaming site.


Exaggerating how many of them are watching it for free?  It’s delusional. 
I have spoken to numerous friends and family, who in turn have had conversations with their friends and family about the movie. 
All involved have seen it. Some in theaters, and the rest for free. 
 

There is a 2160p HDR version of the movie available for FREE to anybody that refuses to pay $30 to watch one film on their tv. Who chooses the former option? Try most of the world if they don’t seek it in cinemas. 
 

I went through a phase of denial about it as I don’t like to think of people morally watching things for nothing. It’s reality though. It happened to the music industry, and it’s happening again here. 
 

This model is pushing people towards trying to get these movies for nothing. How many people do you think are now converted when their kid shows them how easy it is? 
 

The joke is that with a window there’s no need for this. They can make lots of money and people go and see the movie how it’s meant to be seen. Then they can go through PVOD, physical, streaming.  
 

It was never broke and they’re playing with fire thinking they’re going to make even more money.  Once people start to get used to the value of paying next to nothing for something, it’s very difficult to go back. 
 

Just ask any teenager whose jaw hits the floor that anybody would ever pay $15 for one album. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my top 5 DOM for 2021:

 

Spider-man NWH - 125/290
Matrix - 90/220
Venom - 85/200
BW - 80/190
F9 - 70/175

 

Unless covid resurges badly...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Here's my top 5 DOM for 2021:


Venom - 85/200

 

Unless covid resurges badly...

yeugh.
 

Every trash can has its lid, I guess lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to the above….I will not ‘get used’ to this being the new normal. It’s moronic and makes no sense to any studio that likes money and their movies actually feeling like a big deal. 
 

I will continue to bang this drum as numbers pour in every week just confirming what I, and many others are saying. 
 

These good holds for Raya and Cruella etc do nothing to disprove anything as they didn’t make much in the first place!! You can have good holds from mediocre to abysmal weekends every week. 
 

A 45 day window is an acceptable compromise all round. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the thread has devolved into the same thing that has happened every week for most of the year. 

 

Anyway that is a great number for Space Jam 2, not a movie I'd go and see, but love to see any movie doing well right now. Also adds to the list of day of date streaming films that have opened much higher than I would have thought even at the beginning of this year. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Further to the above….I will not ‘get used’ to this being the new normal. It’s moronic and makes no sense to any studio that likes money and their movies actually feeling like a big deal. 
 

I will continue to bang this drum as numbers pour in every week just confirming what I, and many others are saying. 
 

These good holds for Raya and Cruella etc do nothing to disprove anything as they didn’t make much in the first place!! You can have good holds from mediocre to abysmal weekends every week. 
 

A 45 day window is an acceptable compromise all round. 
 

 

 

You are trying to say it is moronic and makes no sense when they have made a streaming service that has gotten as many subscribers in a year and a half as Netflix got in a decade and will likely be the biggest streaming service in the world five to ten years from now. And you are trying to say that earning 60m in a weekend off of a pay wall was moronic? 

 

Yes you are going to have to get used to the fact that theaters are no longer the priority for studios. They are now earning every single month from their streaming site about what a major blockbuster would earn them. I think Disney knows perfectly well how to handle this and they are likely very pleased with the results. People that are infatuated with movie theaters though are just going to have to accept the fact that they aren't the go to crowd any longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Here's my top 5 DOM for 2021:

 

Spider-man NWH - 125/290
Matrix - 90/220
Venom - 85/200
BW - 80/190
F9 - 70/175

 

Unless covid resurges badly...

 

How with Wednesday release and Xmas Eve on the Friday?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Further to the above….I will not ‘get used’ to this being the new normal. It’s moronic and makes no sense to any studio that likes money and their movies actually feeling like a big deal. 
 

I will continue to bang this drum as numbers pour in every week just confirming what I, and many others are saying. 
 

These good holds for Raya and Cruella etc do nothing to disprove anything as they didn’t make much in the first place!! You can have good holds from mediocre to abysmal weekends every week. 
 

A 45 day window is an acceptable compromise all round. 
 

 

Come on man, studios doesn't need anyone here to teach them how to make money.

 

Every single studio loves money above all things, if streaming is gaining so much attention from them, it's because stream make money, simple as that.

 

Your entire response strongly against streaming comes from a place of loving theaters, which is totally fine, but it just seems like you throw an economic discussion into it to justify everything you say, and like i said, studios know about making money better than everyone here, they wouldn't be all chasing streaming business if it wasn't lucrative and right now is one way of making money despite the pandemic.

 

I'm sure the 45 window will be the new rule, it's the perfect in-between to take cash from both sides.

 

But maybe we have to wait a little longer, we're still in a pandemic, lots of foreign countries are in the middle of a wave with delta variant. US cases are increasing fast, LA are demanding masks in internal ambients, and given the high number of idiots denying vaccines, things will get worse again in the entire country.

 

I don't think there will be a complete shutdown again because there ate lots of vaccinated people, but for the next months things will be again very volatile and it will impact box office. So yes, sadly maybe we will have to keep dealing with premiere access etc and we need to get over it, we're far from normalcy to have a meltdown every movie that gets and day and date or a very small window release.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.