Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

There are three films in this weekend's top 10 that feature pigs. Has something like that happened before?

Obviously, Pig power is sweeping the nation right now. Can’t wait for the Nic Cage film to leg it out to $1 billion worldwide. It’s truly the first event film we’ve had since the beginning of the pandemic.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Fuck Disney.  Fuck their treasonous piece of shit new ways.  

Fuck everyone that pushes their horseshit propaganda that they "keep 100% of PA revenue" which is a total lie.  

Lol, they 're only doing it because of covid. They plan on going to 45 day theater exclusive in September. 

That doesn't seem malicious to me.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Lol, they 're only doing it because of covid. They plan on going to 45 day theater exclusive in September. 

That doesn't seem malicious to me.

Wanted to get a little vent in there.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Fuck Disney.  Fuck their treasonous piece of shit new ways

I remember reading your prediction on how Thor 4 could be released on D+ PA back in 2019 and then CoVID preponed all that by 2 years.

And frankly Disney+ PA hasn't that bad impact in USA, as Widow will get the 25M legal viewers as it would have got but the impact in overseas, either due to piracy or theater chains boycotts is pretty evident.

• Like 2

I’m a Disney stan who isn’t adverse to some of the arguments and scorn it draws. 
However, BW’s numbers so far are pretty shallow evidence of a larger Marvel fatigue. It’s like there is so much (understandable) fatigue about Covid, that it gets skipped over that the market remains a big mess. 

We’re kind of running out of steam here, so here’s a little trivia.   

I just, by happenstance, found a stretch of 4 consecutive weekends with top 20 OWs (at the time). Can anyone figure out what it is, or find an equally long or longer streak of top 20 opens?

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

I just, by happenstance, found a stretch of 4 consecutive weekends with top 20 OWs (at the time). Can anyone figure out what it is, or find an equally long or longer streak of top 20 opens?

1989? Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II and Batman all got the highest opening weekend of all time one after the other

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

1989? Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II and Batman all got the highest opening weekend of all time one after the other

I’m seeing:

May 26-28 — Last Crusade record 

Jun 2-4 — Crusade repeats on top

Jun 9-11 — Star Trek V opens on top, #notarecord

Jun 16-18 — Ghostbusters II, record (by like 1%)

Jun 23-25 — Batman, record by like 35%  

Jun 30-Jul 2 — Batman repeats on top 

Which is definitely, ahh, super bonkers wild. Never seen 3 record breakers in 5 weeks before and safe to say never again. But even if Star Trek V was a top 20 it would only be 3 consecutive.

Edited by Lokis Legion

4 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

What’s this now? A 0-day streaming release from the MCU set the post-pandemic OW record and will get the post-pandemic DOM record as well, while making a pretty penny on DTC and dealing with the beginnings of a new wave?  

Yep — must be the early indications of marvel fatigue :hahaha:

We can talk about both things, you know.  Everyone reads one opinion and extrapolates hyperbole.  As someone else already alluded: Opening weekends matter, but second, third, fourth weekends matter even more in determining profitability...especially in a pandemic -- both for the industry, and for the movie and studio, itself.

"New wave"?  -- Are we talking COVID?  We already know that half the reason the U.S./or anywhere else is in stuck with the DELTA variant is literally because of people who don't take the vaccine/wear masks, and they are surely copious among the non-afraid theatrical cinema patrons these past few weekends.  So it's a vicious circle, the problem supports the problematic endeavor, in my opinion.  Though there's no way to precisely tell, of course, I'd bet that the $51 million Disney (apparently) directly made from the Premium Access are mostly from folks who are being extra-careful with going back to theatres.   So from Disney's perspective, the movie still grossed over $130 million opening weekend, effectively.  I'd call that a success in this environment -- for them -- but I can see why theatres are complaining. 

The second and third and fourth weekends will tell a bigger part of the story. 

I never said the sky is falling on Marvel -- I'm merely posting a thought.  

Edited by Macleod

7 hours ago, CJohn said:

From now until the end of August I only see 2 movies going above 20M OW: Suicide Squad (expecting around 35M right now) and Jungle Cruise (it should do 22-23M). Everything else is going under 10M OW with a couple of exceptions.

Candyman will do over 20m OW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

Answer in spoilers:

Spoiler

Nov 8, 1996: Ransom 34M
Nov 15: SJ1 27.5M
Nov 22: Star Trek First Contact 31M
Nov 29: 101 Dalmatians 33.5M

and @cannastop found another of equal length:

Spoiler

Jun 9, 1995: Congo 24.6M

Jun 16: Batman forever, 53M

Jun 23: Pocahontas, 29.5M

Jun 30: Apollo 13, 25M

There could be more out there, @MrPink found Jurassic Park 2, Planet of the Apes, Rush Hour 2, American Pie 2 in 2001. Pie was 21st, so extreeeeeemely close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

I’m seeing:

May 26-28 — Last Crusade record 

Jun 2-4 — Crusade repeats on top

Jun 9-11 — Star Trek V opens on top, #notarecord

Jun 16-18 — Ghostbusters II, record (by like 1%)

Jun 23-25 — Batman, record by like 35%  

Jun 30-Jul 2 — Batman repeats on top 

Which is definitely, ahh, super bonkers wild. Never seen 3 record breakers in 5 weeks before and safe to say never again. But even if Star Trek V was a top 20 it would only be 3 consecutive.

Yeah summer 1989 was just a bonkers time for movies and box office. You've got all those record openers, with Batman pretty much redefining blockbuster grosses. This was basically right when sequels and franchises started to become more and more common, which...well whether that's a good thing is up to you. :lol: 

Then you got Lethal Weapon 2 having a Rush Hour/Austin Powers style box office explosion from the first movie, Honey I Shrunk the Kids becoming the biggest live-action Disney project in history, Star Trek V seeing a franchise record opening before imploding, classics like Dead Poets Society and When Harry Met Sally hitting the scene, Uncle Buck serving as a precursor to Home Alone, indie hits like Do the Right Thing and Sex Lies and Videotape kickstarting Spike Lee and Soderbergh's careers, The Abyss having Cameron dazzle people with effects just before T2 changed everything, UHF giving us a glimmer at a world where Weird Al controlled Hollywood movies (God I wish we were in that timeline).

You add in Nirvana and Public Enemy and summer 1989 was legitimately insane stuff.

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

Jungle cruise is DOA , another live action Disney movie that most people don't care about.

My most anticipated movie now is probably Shang-Chi and than Dune and Eternals for now.

Disney has so many stinkers outside of Pirates, Marvel, animation and Star Wars.

Stuff like John Carter, Tomorrowland and the Lone Ranger went nowhere.

Where would they be without Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars?

Remaking classic animated movies into live-action will only take you so far.

They owe Iger bigly.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cap said:

All the doomposting seems so incredibly obnoxious and completely out of touch with reality to me. I’m both famously and infamously one of the biggest Marvel nerds around these parts and you won’t see me going to a movie theater so "we don’t kill cinema" while my country is in complete shambles.

I am simply not attending movie theaters at all while the current situation is undergoing, so here is another truth bomb from ERC:

I won’t attend a single movie theater until Shang-Chi, that I am absolutely sure. I’m hopefully getting my second Pfizer shot in September 4th, and that is if I am lucky and everything goes according with the current plan. Hell, I might not even be able to attend Eternals depending how my country deals with the delta variant. And I would be royally pissed if Disney, with the current success that is Black Widow, doesn’t listen to their audiences and give us what we want, namely, Shang-Chi and maybe even Eternals in Premier Access. Hell, maybe even No Way Home if it becomes needed. There are way more important things going on than the survival of the movie theater industry in places like Brazil and India could really use more of movie execs like Disney and WB that are sensible enough to understand that (WB not really because their premier access is just for show domestic, unfortunately they don’t release stuff here this way but thankfully I don’t care about most of their stuff anyway).

Bonus tweet:

LOL. Grow the flark up.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Jungle cruise is DOA , another live action Disney movie that most people don't care about.

My most anticipated movie now is probably Shang-Chi and than Dune and Eternals for now.

I wonder how long ago Jungle Cruise was announced, probably before Disney got Indiana Jones V fast tracked. I'm a sucker for these Indiana Jones wannabe movies, but the trailers so far have done nothing for me.

• Like 1