Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is Saturday in BW's favor? Assuming 8 mil Friday for BW and 13 mil for Space Jam 2, an average 20% increase for the former and 10% drop for the latter would still put Space Jam 2 ahead of BW.

You are right. I didn't know how big SJ2  Friday advantage over BW would be but since it's crushing BW, Sat won't be enough to offset it baring some record book collapse on SJ2 side (unlikely).

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Space Jams is a kid movie. It'll drop on Saturday more than a normal kid's movie because of sequel frontloading/HBO Max, but if it wins Friday but 4-5 million, it ain't losing the weekend IMO.

There gotta be some reason for this BIG opening. Numbers aren't gonna tell the real magnitude. It had 48% opening day occupancy in MTC 1 and 2. Not even TROS had that high occupancy. 

Wonder if NBA fans inflated the FRI numbers, and if that will continue throughout weekend or one day major push.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

There gotta be some reason for this BIG opening. Numbers aren't gonna tell the real magnitude. It had 48% opening day occupancy in MTC 1 and 2. Not even TROS had that high occupancy. 

Wonder if NBA fans inflated the FRI numbers, and if that will continue throughout weekend or one day major push.

Maybe it's because theaters underestimated the demand for the film and ended up giving it a lower number of screens than normal? Seems like Deadline wasn't the only one who thought it would open pretty low.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

So about a 60% increase for BW. That’s good. Maybe 10 or 11 today and a weekend around 26-28? 

Not a good number at all, I was hoping BW can pass BB4L, but now it seem like we still have to wait few more months to even have a first 200m grosser  

• Sad 2
  • Disbelief 1

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Space Jams is a kid movie. It'll drop on Saturday more than a normal kid's movie because of sequel frontloading/HBO Max, but if it wins Friday but 4-5 million, it ain't losing the weekend IMO.

So, the numbers are in, and SJ2 collected $13.1M while BW collected $8M - a difference of $5.1M.

Safe to say that the Tune Squad beated Natasha Romanoff this weekend fair and square...

(BTW, I'm new here, so I'm just getting used to things here...)

Edited by Anthony
A few extra words and typos
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

It’s a massive drop for Widow. Especially considering the drop on OW from Friday to Saturday. 

Will the ‘streaming makes no difference’ crowd please throw in the towel.  Piracy and putting it on tv day one was not a good move. Just like Cruella. Just like Raya. Just like Mulan. 

• Like 8

The people who care about what critics say weren't going to watch Space Jam in the first place.

I don't even think the huge crossover thing is a deal breaker either. Fortnite and Smash Bros, two big games are also corporate commercials. And the Internet just got started hyping itself up for a Nickelodeon Smash Bros clone.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • ...wtf 1