Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

ant man and the wasp without covid and without pa had a drop in sec weekend of around 62% same with spiderman homecoming black if it follows antman  or a little better widow could make 26-29  that would be a drop of 65-68 i think , which itself is not THAT FAR OFF the 62% of the movies i mentioned above, and like i said black widow needs only a multi of 2,5 to make 200 mill , even fast 9 will have a multi of 2,4 i think so instead of having meltdowns even though its a very big drop how about we wait and see how it will hold in the coming weeks ? i would think that thats a good idea

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

- (2) F9: The Fast Saga Universal $2,180,000 +81% -38% 3,368 $647 $149,398,955 22
- (3) The Boss Baby: Family Bus… Universal $1,470,000 +35% -50% 3,449 $426 $41,391,675 15
- (4) The Forever Purge Universal $1,260,000 +53% -46% 2,735 $461 $33,010,710 15

Solid hold for F9 and Purge , seem like Canada reopening is working

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This include Ontario reopening. So actual growth is probably 50% or lower.

Well, maybe Ontario reopening will also help the Saturday increase and push it toward higher end of projections/estimates. I don’t think a 65% drop is that bad considering the circumstances. I don’t see how it misses 200M with summer weekdays. It had decent holds last week. 

• Like 4

imo black widow could very well miss 200 mill , its not unrealistic at all, but to write off a movie any movie so quickly  is wrong we have no idea how it will continue to hold anyways congrats @keysersoze123  you were very close for both hopefully you give us an update soon ....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Well, maybe Ontario reopening will also help the Saturday increase and push it toward higher end of projections/estimates. I don’t think a 65% drop is that bad considering the circumstances. I don’t see how it misses 200M with summer weekdays. It had decent holds last week. 

I mean, it may still pass 200m or even BB4L if BW quickly stabilize from week 3 onward but no longer a sure case or easy task  

• Like 1

That’s fine and expected for Black Widow. 

F9 dropped 67.2% a few weeks ago, without an at home option and from a smaller opening. 

Black Widow should get to about $26m. A drop in the 67% range too and stabilise next weekend. 

• Like 4

When SJ2 started to blow up in presales, I was low-key hoping for 18M Friday just to fuck with Deadline's laughable 18M weekend projection. :hahaha:But 13M is a great number and laughable projection will be smashed in 2 days so I win. :shades:

I have no doubt that BW is going to cross 200M rain or shine. If Disney could get AWIT over the 100M finish line, and they gave BP a push over 700M too, BW should get there. They are not going to let the first MCU in a long time miss it. especially since OS is looking clunky due to new lockdowns and is there even a China release date to get it over 500M WW?

• Like 2

Deadline's updated story:

https://deadline.com/2021/07/space-jam-a-new-legacy-black-widow-weekend-box-office-1234794982/

Saturday AM Update: Refresh for updates. Warner Bros.’ long awaited sequel to the 25-year old family classic Space Jam –Space Jam: A New Legacy–had a three point shot at the box office yesterday with $13.1M at 3,965 theaters for what will be a $32M opening weekend. The results squash the second Friday and anticipated weekend of Disney/Marvel’s Black Widow which did $8M yesterday, one of the worst Friday-to-Friday drops for a recent standalone origin MCU title at 80%, on its way to a $25.6M second weekend, a -68% drop no thanks to the film’s availability in homes on Disney+ Premier for $29.99.

If you think it’s unfair to comp Black Widow to pre-pandemic MCU origin films, well then know that her drop is even steeper than the second Fridays of F9 (-72%) and A Quiet Place Part II (-68%).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Black Widow bad hold is not only because of PA and piracy but also because of Loki. 

Why would audience crave for Marvel content in theatre when they are getting it on streaming? Also it's not like Loki is not very popular character. I would say Loki may actually be more popular than Natasha. So, this all is making sense. 

This might not be Superhero fatigue but we are definetly moving towards oversaturation. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 3