Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/16-18) | Space Jam 31.6, Widow 26.3, Escape Room 8.8, F9 7.6, Boss Baby 4.7

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm with "too early to write off 200M for BW" crowd. Second weekend tumble was expected. And we know that stabilizing period comes after. So lets wait and see if it chugs along nicely from this point onward which would be normal. Also, as I said already, if it comes close enough to 200M but needs a push, Disney will take it over the mark for they did it in the past with close milestones. Double features, dollar theaters you name it. They'll find the way.

It is collapsing though, day by day...and unfortunately for the movie, there are a LOT of wide releases the next few weeks...we'll have to see how theaters choose to book based on how the numbers go...for once, Disney should be grateful if they didn't make a "stick it to the theaters" contract...

• Like 1

Had no idea what exactly to expect from Space Jam 2 given its availability at home and considering it looked like the first movie in a while that really reeked of "who is the audience for this supposed to be" (besides WB shareholders) so that's a really impressive number. It's likely very frontloaded (since it had no Thursday previews and the earlier shows were likely boosted by camps) but I imagine the studio will be happy enough with these results.

Harsh but not entirely unexpected drop for Black Widow. Mediocre for Escape Room 2 unsurprisingly, felt like yet another sequel no one actually asked for.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I actually said 50m OW at a point pre-pandemic - people have been making fake posters for this movie for like a decade. There was def hype for it for a very long day and alot of buzz when the trailer dropped. I would have predicted about 55m OW without HBO Max and pandemic impacts. Feels good to be right on this one after being so wrong on In The Heights.

Now, the only other movie with as many fake posters on my social feed is a live-action Boondocks movie.....someone call up Samuel L. Jackson.

I owe you a like (somehow, I'm out already:)...and yeah, I think this would be higher without the pandemic and day and date.  But. I'll take best WB opening of the pandemic (although that's kinda unfair to a few of the previous movies who were stuck with no theaters or seats:)...

35 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

When SJ2 started to blow up in presales, I was low-key hoping for 18M Friday just to fuck with Deadline's laughable 18M weekend projection. :hahaha:But 13M is a great number and laughable projection will be smashed in 2 days so I win. :shades:

I have no doubt that BW is going to cross 200M rain or shine. If Disney could get AWIT over the 100M finish line, and they gave BP a push over 700M too, BW should get there. They are not going to let the first MCU in a long time miss it. especially since OS is looking clunky due to new lockdowns and is there even a China release date to get it over 500M WW?

China release date was last weekend when Disney gave it to them for free online. Lol

18 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I think Shang-Chi might not go PA after all. Also, I am happy that movie will coincide with What if and not a live action show. 

Hoping Hawkeye also debuts after Eternals. Those 2 movies are more important for Marvel's future. 

I don't think cinemas will be open in India, so I hope they go with PA.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It is collapsing though, day by day...and unfortunately for the movie, there are a LOT of wide releases the next few weeks...we'll have to see how theaters choose to book based on how the numbers go...for once, Disney should be grateful if they didn't make a "stick it to the theaters" contract...

not really its dailies were decent idk where you got the idea that it was collapsing at least in terms of dailies , 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Do we have any sort of comparison of how many people in America have Disney+ vs. HBOMax? It seems to me like the Disney PA seems to have a more significant impact than the HBOMax streaming does despite that being free and more accessible - but I'm not sure if this is because the bigger/better Disney brand or because they have a more specific type of family film that appeals more to home viewing.

Disney+ had 104M subscribers at the last earnings call while HBO Max stood at 17M activations at the beginning of the year. HBO in total has over 44M subscribers, but AT&T is no longer sharing how many have activated Max. 

My Space Jam audience of 70-80 last night was pretty much all families aside from my group and 3-4 other childless groups, and the other showings seemed to be a similar breakdown. I don't buy for a second that nostalgia is doing any heavy lifting this weekend; families are starved for anything resembling an event.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Disney+ had 104M subscribers at the last earnings call while HBO Max stood at 17M activations at the beginning of the year. HBO in total has over 44M subscribers, but AT&T is no longer sharing how many have activated Max. 

Worldwide vs US btw. Don’t think they’ve ever released a US only number. 

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think cinemas will be open in India, so I hope they go with PA.

Oh, yeah I totally forgot about that. Us Indians will suffer this year too. 

Hopefully NWH in cinemas. Last movie I watched was GvK. 

1 minute ago, Gavin Feng said:

when is Martin Scorsese gonna say, "Space Jam 2 is not theme park, it's gym."

Well, WB works as hard as they can to exhaust and drive their IPs into the ground in Space Jam 2, so it'd fit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m also not buying the ‘Ant Man 2’ had a similar drop. 

Ant-Man’s 2nd weekend had Skyscraper and Hotel Transylvania 3 opening to nearly $70 million between them. 
It also had Fallen Kingdom and Incredibles 2 still pulling in $16 million each after a month of being out. 

What competition has Widow got, besides SJ2 for its audience? None. 

Face facts. Millions of people that didn’t show up last weekend have already seen it, and they didn’t pay for it.  

It should be blowing F9 out of the water.
First MCU movie for two years.  

It isn’t because it burned half of it like Heath Ledger’s Joker did in Dark Knight.  It lit that fire to half of its potential box office the moment they pressed the ‘upload’ button to Disney+

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Ant-Man’s 2nd weekend had Skyscraper and Hotel Transylvania 3 opening to nearly $70 million between them. 
It also had Fallen Kingdom and Incredibles 2 still pulling in $16 million each after a month of being out. 

Face facts. Millions of people have already seen it, and they didn’t pay for it. 

It isn’t because it burned half of it like Heath Ledger’s Joker did in Dark Knight.  It lit that fire to half of its potential box office the moment they pressed the ‘upload’ button to Disney+

noone disagrees with  that of course d+ and piracy affected it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Face facts. Millions of people have already seen it, and they didn’t pay for it. 

Black Widow also kept multiple screens at almost every theater still playing it this weekend, and has WAY more overall showings than Space Jam 2...if you want to see it any time of day anywhere with almost no one with you in the theater, you can...but folks are not, and you got this drop.

I don't think the drops will normalize when the "easiness" of seeing this goes away...

If anything, theater subscribers are probably floating it b/c especially for Regal and AMC, you want to get your money's worth...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1