Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Was Avatar's success due to Cameron's 12 year absence or having his name with his movies with the Avatar trailers? Not just this, but more could be contributed to Avatar's success. Was wondering if Cameron needs to take a 12 year break after Avatar 3 or he can just wait 1-2 years before starting Battle Angel.

It looks like Avatar will be a 5 year plan, does that mean that Avatar 3 will be released in 2017 or filming will be done in 2017 for a 2018 release I don't know. I can imagine if Cameron goes from Avatar 3 (2017) to Battle Angel could be in theaters by 2019/2020.

Cameron:

I’m obviously going to be pretty busy for the next five years [with Avatar 2 and 3]. And so I had to consider, do I hand this project off to another director? And then I thought, ‘No, I love it too much.

It’s such a rich world. What I’m going to do is take the spine story and use elements from the first four books. So, the Motorball from books three and four, and parts of the story of one and two will all be in the movie.

'Avatar' Director Offers Update On 'Battle Angel Alita' Adaptation

The mixture of live-action and CG is a little trickier in 3-D than it is 2-D. Now we see it's good to have done 'Avatar' first before 'Battle Angel,' because the tricky scenes are where you're blending live-action photography, stereoscopic photography and CG. Shooting live stuff in 3-D and then adding CG characters and landscapes beyond that, that's a little tricky.

Back in 2009, but still relevant in 2012. Alita is still on his radar. They have a script and done a year of production design as well as having an art reel for the story (we need to see this).

It's pretty much just add water and we're ready to go.

We track movies. :)

This, if you are not excited about movie releases in a movie forums, then...

I'm glad that he will not give BA up, as I want to see his vision of it on screen, but man, the wait is a killer. The day Avatar 3 comes out will be one of the happiest days.

No more original projects for J. Cameron?

"Last year I basically completely disbanded my production company’s development arm. So I’m not interested in developing anything. I’m in the “Avatar” business. Period. That’s it. I’m making “Avatar 2,” “Avatar 3,” maybe “Avatar 4,” and I’m not going to produce other people’s movies for them. I’m not interested in taking scripts. And that all sounds I suppose a little bit restricted, but the point is I think within the “Avatar” landscape I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it."

Can we kiss Battle Angel goodbye then?

Cameron is honestly starting to piss me off. The extreme green crusade side of him seems to be taking over and it just makes me want to :puke:

I hear you, man. This quote - "I can say everything I need to say that I think needs to be said, in terms of the state of the world and what I think we need to be doing about it." is just golden and not in a good way. Seems like uncle Jim cares more about making "messages" than movies now.

Edited by Bitcher

He's like the Robert Zemeckis of preachy-enviro movies. The difference being that RZ's fascination with motion capture and technology hurt his reputation a bit. I think Avatar 2 & 3 will do very well.