MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Yeah the fact that The Lego movie 2 did 18M opening weekend in 63 markets definitely put the 32M Alita did in 11 market in a new light for me. It's much easier to prefer one performance than the other 😉 

Although TWE is huge in China, when Alita releases we are talking about being in it's 18th day of release. I think the soon to be largest market in the world can sustain 1 huge movie in its 18th day and another movie performing quite well. Everything else would be making little at that point anyway. Is HTTYD gonna to huge in China? Probably not.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

Am I the only one that thinks it's funny that every time they try to quote that UK number they make it smaller and snaller?

I believe it did 1 million first two days and then 3 in the remaining 3. That's how we get 4+ million for 5 days. Generally opening of an action/sci-fi/effects heavy movie in USA is 7-10 times higher than 3 day weekend of UK. There are exceptions but generally that's what it is.

For comparison Pacific rim and edge of tomorrow respectively made

3.3M ow in UK and 36M USA

3.1M in UK and 28M USA

Many more examples...just look it up.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

#believe

I can believe what I want too.

Who remembers those 10m weekend projections?

I do

:hahaha:

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

A 3 million 3 day weekend in UK suggests anywhere between 20-25M 3 day weekend in USA. Could go lower if luck is real shit.

8 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

A 3 million 3 day weekend in UK suggests anywhere between 20-25M 3 day weekend in USA. Could go lower if luck is real shit.

Let me understand, is the performance in UK more relevant for domestic box office than the great domestic presales?

Are you an astrologer?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

#believe

I do

I think I've seen even lower than that, comparable to Mortal Engines or something...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

#believe

I do

I do think it might’ve opened to that in December. 

10 minutes ago, Litio said:

Let me understand, is the performance in UK more relevant for domestic box office than the great domestic presales?

Are you an astrologer?

Great domestic presales? 

What?When?

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I do think it might’ve opened to that in December. 

It's really hard to tell until we see how much of an underdog story this one might become.

Aquaman had shit predictions, same with MPR, December was a complete and utter mess when it came to guesswork.

55 minutes ago, Firepower said:

First, position in chart doesn't matter. Second, just one market doesn't matter unless it's US or China, and it didn't even bomb in UK, it just did alright. Third, Alita did 32 mln from only 11 markets (some of them didn't even have wide opening yet), and Lego Movie 2 did 18 mln from 63! markets, just to tell you how dumb your comparison is.

For mainstream Hollywood tentpoles, the UK is a very comparable market to the US. Flopping in UK = it will flop in US.

The same people who are sure Alita will bomb, few months ago were sure Aquaman would not even make $500 million worldwide...

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The same people who are sure Alita will bomb, few months ago were sure Aquaman would not even make $500 million worldwide...

What? How the hell is that comparable? 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Marvel drones and disney shills probably

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Litio said:

I wouldn't the numbers are "great" for a blockbuster, last Monday can easily go above 10k - that is for the full day, and we have to wait. But they seem decent, high enough to say that Alita probably won't be a complete bomb.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

In Taiwan after a few days, it is already up to 27% of Aquaman total.

7 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Number 3 with 1100!  

Last Monday Lego did 2600 with a Friday release... 

You have to wait until midnight Central time to compare.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Number 3 with 1100! 

Last Monday Lego did 2600 with a Friday release... 

Yes, let's compare a sequel of a beloved first film based in an IP everyone could recognize even if it weren't a sequel with a manga adaptation that has previously been memed to death as badly as Aladdin is getting heat for yesterday's genie reveal. 😏

Very objective comparison there.

There is a good reason why people are more worried about this getting a decent opening and good legs than an outstanding opening. This movie has baggage to overcome, when you consider that, things are looking good.

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the UK numbers. Isnt the 3day deflated because it opened earlier? And yeah, the UK press was savagel. Though i do wonder whether the (bigger) US press outlets wont be at least somewhat similar.

I also wonder whether stuff like this will help or hinder Alitas success (she is an RT critic)

Edited by chuck0

4 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Regarding the UK numbers. Isnt the 3day deflated because it opened earlier? And yeah, the UK press was savagel. Though i do wonder whether the (bigger) US press outlets wont be at least somewhat similar.

I also wonder whether stuff like this will help or hinder Alitas success (she is an RT critic)

Trust me it won’t matter. Actually there was a video on YouTube making fun of her review. 

Edited by Godzilla

24 minutes ago, Avatree said:

For mainstream Hollywood tentpoles, the UK is a very comparable market to the US. Flopping in UK = it will flop in US.

This is not cbm movie, I can throw Mary Poppins and your theory won't work, boom.