Jump to content

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Regarding the UK numbers. Isnt the 3day deflated because it opened earlier? And yeah, the UK press was savagel. Though i do wonder whether the (bigger) US press outlets wont be at least somewhat similar.

 

I also wonder whether stuff like this will help or hinder Alitas success (she is an RT critic)

 

 

 

 

What a clown, bet she loves captain Marvel

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I wouldn't the numbers are "great" for a blockbuster, last Monday can easily go above 10k - that is for the full day, and we have to wait to comapre since akvalley script resets on Sunday evening. But they seem decent, high enough to say that Alita probably won't be a complete bomb.

Tracking said $25m 5-day. People said it will bomb. Presales are looking great now. 

 

10 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Number 3 with 1100! 

Last Monday Lego did 2600 with a Friday release... 

Monday didn't end.

Lego 2 is a sequel and family movies have big presales. Another question?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

Regarding the UK numbers. Isnt the 3day deflated because it opened earlier? And yeah, the UK press was savagel. Though i do wonder whether the (bigger) US press outlets wont be at least somewhat similar.

 

I also wonder whether stuff like this will help or hinder Alitas success (she is an RT critic)

 

 

 

 

 

Click bait tweet written by a moron....next. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What a clown, bet she loves captain Marvel

Ah yes, a dude telling a woman what type of female characters she can like lol. It is kind of like how there are many white people online telling black people to watch real black films like 12 years a slave and moonlight instead of Black Panther.

  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Trust me it won’t matter. Actually there was a video on YouTube making fun of her review. 

 

Everyone knows youtube is a place for sane, rational takes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This is not cbm movie, I can throw Mary Poppins and your theory won't work, boom.

Movies geared at a home market always perform better than they do elsewhere. Does this mean Skyfall was a flop in America because it was way below the way it performed in the UK? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This is not cbm movie, I can throw Mary Poppins and your theory won't work, boom.

Mary Poppins did not flop in the UK though? so what's that got to do with my point?

 

 

the only big American movie from 2018 that doesn't have any correlation US-UK was A Wrinkle in Time. I don't think there are any others... all the others, and there are what 20+ films that you could consider tentpoles, every single one has a correlation..

 

I dont know why i'm even saying this TBH. Anyone who has been following box office for more than two minutes know that the UK is one of the best markets to compare to the US.

 

Edited by Avatree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Mary Poppins did not flop in the UK though? so what's that got to do with my point?

He's just saying there are exceptions. MPR was UK's cup of tea, Alita might not be.

My personal guess is that it's a bit in-between. I can see US definitely liking it more than UK. But much more? Overly optimistic.

Either way February is a pretty lousy month to open in UK. Still, worth keeping up on how it goes this week.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

He's just saying there are exceptions. MPR was UK's cup of tea, Alita might not be.

My personal guess is that it's a bit in-between. I can see US definitely liking it more than UK. But much more? Overly optimistic.

Either way February is a pretty lousy month to open in UK. Still, worth keeping up on how it goes this week.

why is it a lousy month to open a movie?

 

also, this week will not tell us much. Next week will be more telling as it's half term, which I'm sure you knew because you are so familiar with the UK and its box office.

 

Also curious why you think it would appeal to Americans more than Brits? this is not the case with other action and sci-fi films, why is Alita different?

 

 

Edited by Avatree
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

 

Also curious why you think it would appeal to Americans more than Brits? this is not the case with other action and sci-fi films, why is Alita different? 

It just happened with Aquaman, world phenomenon from ocean to ocean but not in the UK.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

why is it a lousy month to open a movie?

 

also, this week will not tell us much. Next week will be more telling as it's half term, which I'm sure you knew because you are so familiar with the UK and its box office.

 

Also curious why you think it would appeal to Americans more than Brits? this is not the case with other action and sci-fi films, why is Alita different?

 

 

The same way I can say UK reviews have been less favorable for Alita.

And I'll also say this again, do not play down UK's weather as a factor throughout the year.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys the UK has terrible taste, it is known.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Guys the UK has terrible taste, it is known.

We aren't that bad, at least we have mayonnaise with our fries. 

  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 2
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ah yes, a dude telling a woman what type of female characters she can like lol. It is kind of like how there are many white people online telling black people to watch real black films like 12 years a slave and moonlight instead of Black Panther.

Take this garbage elsewhere, stick to terrible insights please

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

We aren't that bad, at least we have mayonnaise with our fries. 

🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It just happened with Aquaman, world phenomenon from ocean to ocean but not in the UK.

That's BS. The movie opened lower than any DCEU film but ended up grossing higher than Wonder Woman. The movie would have grossed a lot more if UK cinemas didn't fuck up and give way too many screens (including most of the IMAX screens) to Mary Poppins Returns. Like, highest grossing DCEU film would have been very likely if UK cinema chains weren't dumb. At the end they made less revenue than they could have because they didn't give enough screens to Aquaman and gave too much to Mary Poppins Returns which performed below expectations (like in America).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Take this garbage elsewhere, stick to terrible insights please

Please, you can take your thinly veiled bigotry somewhere else too.

 

Or go rant about the 'dISnEy sHiLls'.

 

Also terrible insights? Says the guy who still thinks Alita will make a billion.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That's BS. The movie opened lower than any DCEU film but ended up grossing higher than Wonder Woman. The movie would have grossed a lot more if UK cinemas didn't fuck up and give way too many screens (including most of the IMAX screens) to Mary Poppins Returns. Like, highest grossing DCEU film would have been very likely if UK cinema chains weren't dumb. At the end they made less revenue than they could have because they didn't give enough screens to Aquaman and gave too much to Mary Poppins Returns which performed below expectations (like in America).

Let's hope US doesn't fuck up like that with Alita. Let her fight!

:WHATanabe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That's BS. The movie opened lower than any DCEU film but ended up grossing higher than Wonder Woman. The movie would have grossed a lot more if UK cinemas didn't fuck up and give way too many screens (including most of the IMAX screens) to Mary Poppins Returns. Like, highest grossing DCEU film would have been very likely if UK cinema chains weren't dumb. At the end they made less revenue than they could have because they didn't give enough screens to Aquaman and gave too much to Mary Poppins Returns which performed below expectations (like in America).

I dunno if it would have done that much better, maybe an extra £0.5m with the premium format run extended, but the screen count was proportional. It was just Mary Poppins was waaaaaaaaay overestimated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.