MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

1 minute ago, chuck0 said:

The annoying thing is that i cant even read her review (which is now up on RT) since i am from Europe...

And i certainly dont want to tell her which kind of characters she is supposed to like. But contrary to this, she is trying to tell the public to not like female characters written by Cameron (and men in general). And that imho goes a bit far and seems more like trying to stir up controversity for her review. Yes, women are frequently not depicted in the most favourable light and yes, typical badass female characters can be just as bad as damsels in distress (Sucker Punch is probably a good example here), but Camerons depiction/writing of women is certainly not the worst offender with respect to this.

if someone thinks Alita is a poorly written/developed character, that is a valid opinion. it is irrelevant that "James Cameron is not the worst" or that sucker punch sucks.

3 hours ago, Litio said:

Why is the realist guy ignoring Alita's strong presales?

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-02-10 12:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	14.788%	1030	The Lego Movie 2 The Second Part
2	12.477%	869	What Men Want
3	10.122%	705	Alita Battle Angel

2 hours ago, Litio said:

Let me understand, is the performance in UK more relevant for domestic box office than the great domestic presales?

Are you an astrologer?

lmao, those aren't great or amazing presales!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Eeerrrr, being brutally honest here. When I read what IronJimbo said I thought he was labeling her more as a Disney/Marvel "fangirl" than as a "girl".

That's how I took it at the moment at least.

I'm personally not quite sure where the SJW agenda stands on Captain Marvel, since I've seen heat from opposite fronts.

14 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

lmao, those aren't great or amazing presales!

For a movie which was going to open at $25m 5-day according to tracking, they are amazing. Huge weekend coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Marvel drones and disney shills probably

Technically, this is a Disney film now that the acquisition's been approved.

If they really were shills, they'd be propping this film up.

5 minutes ago, Litio said:

For a movie which was going to open at $25m 5-day according to tracking, they are amazing. Huge weekend coming.

I am not familiar with Fandango as we don't have it in my country. But that says 700 tickets sold in past 24 hours. Selling $6/000 of tickets in a day means its gonna do way more than $25,000,000 OW?

5 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

Technically, this is a Disney film now that the acquisition's been approved.

If they really were shills, they'd be propping this film up.

Let's see how well that logic works out for this last FOX X-Men movie. 😕

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhiteWings said:

Let's see how well that logic works out for this last FOX X-Men movie. 😕

You expect that one to sink too?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Back on topic...Alita is a badass...yes?

Alita is gonna sidekick haters in the face 

😎

Just a few days for truly usable data, getting nervous.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

IronJimbo got pretty pissed that Katie Walsh (critic) doesn't like the way Alita is portrayed (and other female characters written by Cameron) and mockingly said that she probably likes Captain Marvel (because you know, she's an 'SJW feminist' character unlike a 'real' female character like Alita). My problem is with guys on the internet berating women for not liking badly portrayed female characters (in their view). How would a guy know if a woman is properly portrayed or not? 

Observation? This viewpoint that lived experience is the only qualifier from which to gain knowledge is silly on its face. If male writers can't properly write female characters because they haven't lived as a woman, can women writers not properly write male characters because they never lived as a man? To extend that logic, I myself as an introvert would not be able to write a character who is an extrovert because I never lived that life. The entire point of artistic writing is to step outside yourself and create characters who are not yourself based on life observation. 

Secondly, It's impossible for any single character to accurately portray "women" or "men" because both genders are extremely varied. The character of Alita is unlike most women because the character of Tony Stark is unlike most men. Often in sci-fi/fantasy films viewers like to see characters who are not ordinary, but extraordinary; which can mean exaggerating personality traits in a way you often would not see in the general population.

If this movie critic wants to criticize the character of Alita because she is too unrealistic that's a perfectly valid criticism to make. But the feminist lens she places on everything is predictable and dumb.

And I haven't even touched on the fact that Alita was not written by James Cameron in the first place. She was created in 1990 by Yukito Kishiro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I am not familiar with Fandango as we don't have it in my country. But that says 700 tickets sold in past 24 hours. Selling $6/000 of tickets in a day means its gonna do way more than $25,000,000 OW?

Presales indicate $40m+ 5-day. Of course you are not familiar with Fandango, otherwise you weren't saying this bullshit.

Edited by Litio

8 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

You expect that one to sink too?

It's always fun to flip flop the narrative for convenience. Well done. 😉👍

Edited by WhiteWings

23 minutes ago, Litio said:

Yeah, because @Deep Wang knows nothing about this stuff right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Litio said:

Presales indicate $40m+ 5-day. Of course you are not familiar with Fandango, otherwise you weren't saying this bullshit.

Sure they do kid

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

It's always fun to flip flop the narrative for convenience. 😉👍

I think I screwed up the writing of my last response.

32 Million international is not all that great an opening for a 200 Million film.

I suspect the film will end up being pretty modest in whatever it does:Modest flop (the studio does not break even but does not lose a lot of money) ,straight up breaks even or is a modest success "studio sees a profit but it's still not a good return on a big investment.

One thing is sure to all but the Cameron fanboys:This is not going to be the kind of huge success that Cameron is used to having.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

5 minutes ago, vovin said:

Observation? This viewpoint that lived experience is the only qualifier from which to gain knowledge is silly on its face. If male writers can't properly write female characters because they haven't lived as a woman, can women writers not properly write male characters because they never lived as a man? To extend that logic, I myself as an introvert would not be able to write a character who is an extrovert because I never lived that life. The entire point of artistic writing is to step outside yourself and create characters who are not yourself based on life observation. 

Secondly, It's impossible for any single character to accurately portray "women" or "men" because both genders are extremely varied. The character of Alita is unlike most women because the character of Tony Stark is unlike most men. Often in sci-fi/fantasy films viewers like to see characters who are not ordinary, but extraordinary; which can mean exaggerating personality traits in a way you often would not see in the general population.

If this movie critic wants to criticize the character of Alita because she is too unrealistic that's a perfectly valid criticism to make. But the feminist lens she places on everything is predictable and dumb.

And I haven't even touched on the fact that Alita was not written by James Cameron in the first place. She was created in 1990 by Yukito Kishiro.

I pretty much agree with this. I actually think its pretty sexist in itself when someone would argue that "women" or "men" can only be written in a particular way. That itself could be constricting how that gender is written, which is the exact opposite of what you want. If someones a bad character, thats fine, but people dont have to make everything a gender issue.

And yes, Alita probably isnt a great portrayal of a "typical" modern woman. She shouldnt be, she´s a fantasy hero character, their character traits are never accurate to reality, just like all the superheros and stuff you see everywhere are not acting like real people, either. Its just not the point of these characters at all.

Alita de pollo is a FLOP.

I want to see all the peoples that kill Lego2 last weekend.

• Haha 1