MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Was Michelle R in the credits? I still haven't seen her, I know who she is in the movie, but wonder if she'll be a bigger part of the future series. 

No, she is uncredited.

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Was Michelle R in the credits? I still haven't seen her, I know who she is in the movie, but wonder if she'll be a bigger part of the future series. 

I believe she and the Nova actor are uncredited. Not sure if the other cameos are uncredited too.

I immediately recognized that guy's face because I read in this thread a famous actor had a surprising cameo, but until now I didn't even know R was in the movie. Even more reasons to hope for a sequel, the cast will only get better!:ohmygod:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I immediately recognized that guy's face because I read in this thread a famous actor had a surprising cameo, but until now I didn't even know R was in the movie. Even more reasons to hope for a sequel, the cast will only get better!:ohmygod:

:ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

• Not Cool 1

Pleasantly surprised by this movie - I wasn't expecting much and it was really good.  Sadly, we nearly had the theater to ourselves.

Edited by altbum
spoiler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

International search traffic on google trends has finally cought up to February 17th. Will be interesting how far it will now drop during the week.

Fo8hSSI.png

as always, comparisons are to be taken with a grain of salt.

Oh, and it is fresh on RT... again with only a hand ful of reviews away from rotten. This balancing act even 245 reviews in is an impressive feat in and of itself :D

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Can someone explain why I and many others walked out of Blade Runner 2049 and Battle Angel satisfied, while when we walked out of Ghost in the Shell, we were disappointed? Both Ghost and Angel were a bit simple and cliched in plot, yet Angel is now one of my favorite movies while Ghost I consider a film that didn’t reach its potential. 

(From my post in the spoiler thread, but no spoilers here haha)

• Like 1

Btw, the marketing is getting pretty clever :D

(minor spoiler)

Spoiler

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Can someone explain why I and many others walked out of Blade Runner 2049 and Battle Angel satisfied, while when we walked out of Ghost in the Shell, we were disappointed? Both Ghost and Angel were a bit simple and cliched in plot, yet Angel is now one of my favorite movies while Ghost I consider a film that didn’t reach its potential. 

It was very likely the heart and soul of the source material which failed to be conveyed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Ghost in the Shell was an unimagitive and worse copy of the original source material that lacked heart and passion.

Alita is a passion project and you can feel that when youre watching it. People gave a shit about this film.

• Like 3

So, i saw Alita and thank God i’m not disappointed.

The best thing for me is Alita herself, her arc is so well done, Rosa Salazar performance is really strong and she’s so charismatic, it takes only 10 minutes to make you root for her. The cast in general works well, sadly the movie is really rush so the development of the other characters is not so great, but still good.

I really like that everything that happens on the movie moves Alita and her decisions, i think they did a good job building the script around her. Rodriguez direction is really good, action scenes are spectacular, the movie in general is really fun to watch. Technically the movie is a triumph, CGI deserves an Oscar and the photorealistic face which so many people complain is really brilliant, the big eyes not only work but upgrade Rosa’s performance.

The problem for me is the editing, script have some problems like cheesy dialogs but is really well scructured and works, the thing is the movie really needs more time to work better some concepts and characters. Probably if they didn’t cut the 200 pages original script the movie will be even better, but i understand that commercially this will suffer with a 3 hour runtime, so i can deal with that.

In general, great movie, i hope i can see it again in theathers. Rating: 4/5

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

The best thing for me is Alita herself, her arc is so well done, Rosa Salazar performance is really strong and she’s so charismatic, it takes only 10 minutes to make you root for her.

Disagree.

It only takes half a minute. The scene where she wakes up, sublime...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Should we expect an Akira film now? There’s been talks for years.

I would expect an Akira film. Alita: Battle Angel is well-received for the most part; the small step of positivity towards an anime adaption could very well be enough to sway Warner Bros to recruit a director that cares enough about the source material. Jordan Peele said that he wanted to do a mid-budget film between his breakout--Get Out--and a big-budget project, which, if I remember correctly, is why he didn't commit to making Akira at the current time; so because Us is about to be released in theaters, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if that director re-enters negotiations for that project.

Hollywood will likely look at China and Japan's interest in Alita before making a commitment. I feel like it'll happen eventually. But I think how soon it happens will depend on Alita's sustainability.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

All this needs to lead into a Jojo's Film!

Audiences aren't ready for JoJo yet. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I like all three movies - for the genre and visuals, at least.

From then on it's totally different animals. BR2049 is a very cold, and often a bit ugly (murky) movie. It is all because of the director - whom I really hate and call the Frenchie. He tries to copy Nolan, but he is far from it - and Nolan himself has been a joke for many years. All the movies of the Frenchie are very, very cold, murky-dark - you can't see a thing, dumb and boring. So it's no wonder he massacred even the brilliant BR original of Ridley Scott. :( It is terrifying they gave Dune to him. I don't know how many times he has to fuck up, before the idiot producers realise he is NOT a director material. He is almost as bad as Rian Johnson, for fuck's sake! So yeah - god bless poor Dune, it will never get made properly.

Right after I saw BR2049, I had the chance to see the original in a cinema again. What was the Shay's surprise, when I found out that despite of my hate for older movies and worship of new visual effects, I enjoyed BR five! times more than BR2049!! I could only stomach the new one 2 times - while the original I could easily see 10 times!

-- For the other two movies, I'll come back in a sequel post. :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

On GITS they tried to soften the philosophical undertones of the story and instead shaped the screenplay into a more western friendly action hero film. Motoko's character in the anime is quite subdued which worked to help communicate the psychological themes of the film, but that personality ends up creating a hollow action hero. And to me, while I think they nailed the visuals, they nailed the music, the action scenes were well executed, the film just felt hollow. I watched it twice because it was so nice to look at, but the movie as a whole was stuck somewhere between a Japanese film and an American film and it didn't stick the landing.

Alita works because the story from the manga didn't need to be changed because it was already western friendly. Alita is incredibly likeable and endearing in the manga, OVA, and live action film. The only thing that needed to be changed is the gore which does not affect the heart of the story.

• Like 5

I hope Taika Waiti isn’t the one that directs the Akira movie... I’m hoping it’s Villeneuve instead. 

Edited by Godzilla
  • Like 3
  • Not Cool 1