Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

9 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I SMELL a sequel on the horizon. 😯

Maybe 3 sequels!

7 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Maybe 3 sequels!

4 more sequels like Avatar :sparta:

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

4 more sequels like Avatar :sparta:

You're finally starting to make sense DMan7!

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, ImNotExcited said:

On 1/3/2019 at 10:23 AM, vovin said:

I see Alita following a similar trajectory, although the main difference is that Avatar showcased entirely new technology, while Alita is just building on the technology of Avatar. But I don't think audience-goers are expecting an improvement in the performance capture technology so they will be pleasantly surprised. It's difficult to really see all the nuanced facial details from 4 second clips but I've read all the reactions to the screening footage last month and a lot of audience members were impressed by the dramatic scenes and the interaction between CG Alita and all the real actors. 

Oh.

Edited by vovin
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, this thread is a cluster fuck of James Cameron fanboys.

Yep? Just how it should be. The question is what the fuck are YOU doing here?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, filmlover said:

There’s always a flock of posters who show up to stan for a random movie and then disappear after it flops.

Same with haters - after it DOESN'T flop.

Bumblebee got in the 90s on RT and opened to 30 something million, RT helps but it can't cause huge numbers to materialize out of no where.

Yep. No one here cares about RT. It's all about WoM with this movie.

Also, I can't help but notice even the haters' predictions have gone up substantially. 420m WW or even 350m WW is definitely NOT a flop, it's not even breaking even, but making small profit - seeing as movies still do a lot of money outside of cinemas.

I think Futurist gives a better prediction: 500m WW as the line to be crossed.

Iron Jimbo gave the best line though, with his over 620m WW Ant-man 2 club. That is why I am IN his club. I am pretty sure though that 600m WW is the absolute floor. Yes, I know the general public (or 80% of all people) is incredibly stupid - but even taking that into account, this movie carries so much potential, it will surely overcome (at least to an extent) the lameness of unaware folks.

This will beat Ant-man 2 - but of course not with 220 Dom and 400 OS - but with at least 500m OS, and much, much less from the proverbially stubborn and close-minded NA.

Thereafter lies the breaking point. If the WoM kicks in properly - the snow ball turns into an avalanche, and the sky is the limit (1 billion + ??). If not - well at least IJ's club is a success, and the movie is still incredibly profitable (sequels!).

And even if the Shay is wrong (not possible!) and he had overestimated people again, 400m WW for this is still a modest success - and nowhere near a flop, let alone a bomb. (Unless half of these 400m come from China - but that is not possible; if China alone makes 200m, which is very probable, then the floor for WW is again 600m+ .)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not only is WoM important but specifically "you have to experience this in theaters" WoM. Since Avatar I haven't gotten that message so explicitly. Maybe Interstellar and The Force Awakens were two movies where there was decent buzz around getting the theater experience. Interstellar because of the IMAX/visuals and TFA because of the audience reactions.

It could just be my friends and family circle but whenever we talk about great movies we've seen the usual response is "I'll have to check that out when it's on [some digital streaming service]".

Edited by vovin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologize to all Cameron & Alita fans here who felt uncomfortable about my recent comments around Alita. After self reflection, I think I was so mean to this film. I respect James Cameron and love his works. And I really hope Avatar sequels can come out as soon as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Can't tell whether this is a joke post or not... 🤔

7 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Can't tell whether this is a joke post or not... 🤔

I think it's sincere, people were bad mouthing him on reddit yesterday. Also he is an Avatar fan.

Edited by IronJimbo

7 hours ago, shayhiri said:

400m WW for this is still a modest success - and nowhere near a flop, let alone a bomb.

A $400 million total, with the break-even point being around $375 million at least, isn't particularly impressive, even if it's no flop.

I don't know...

You folks know this is a good movie by now (in a sense, it won't suck). It's gonna sell good to those who see it, and then they're gonna sell it around.

Big eyes or no big word about it doesn't matter much when it goes out. It'll be out in the world for everyone to see. Fixed point in time.

By that point, there's gonna be some publicity blitz. Physical posters. Upcoming pop star single. Perhaps one more clip and one more big ad push. Aside from that, already a number of people have seen or heard about Alita. They even have an opinion! 

You can count that as a success because they're gonna change their minds with WoM stirring them up. My own experience with her eyes is also a negative one. I had to show it around because I was immensely creeped out and wanted to see how others react to it. If the marketing team is trying to play this well, they're absolutely not being overbearing because the project itself carries a momentum. What gathered buzz were the following key points: JC working on something called Alita, the first trailer (+reactions) and the delays. Now they haven't fired out all the shots since the delays have done their job in making some impatient or irritated at constant and latent Alita presence. What's important to consider is that this is a unique project (like every movie is): people are interested and simply hope it's going to be at least a good movie (lucky for them - some trailers were really hit n miss), my opinion being based on every single social content on the web I can find. Those who are bashing this are longing to confirm their suspicions and they're in for a surprise.

What's left for the marketing, since they have no platform to release regular promotional bits from an original source unknown to their targeted audience, they are condemned to push talents, get by through the word of enthusiasts, to collaborate with a wide array of potent advertisers, continue with official channels of a film release... But all of that going step by step.

I actually wonder whether some of their "mistakes" were a good way to lure in whoever they could, how much of this was a blockbuster in construction, why they're so silent with promotion, how people who're discussing something like box office fail to remember someone's gonna get millions for an elaborate profession of monitoring and garnering social interest. 

You never ought to be naive in a world where one can earn money by telling false truths.

This is my very biased and emotional opinion. I look forward to seeing how this is going to play out and I'm enjoying learning about all of the processes involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mulder said:

Bumblebee got in the 90s on RT and opened to 30 something million, RT helps but it can't cause huge numbers to materialize out of no where.

yep, if there was no previous interest, people will rather wait for someone they know to take the bullet for them and if feedback is enthusiastic enough they may see the movie. Like Siderverse. RT couldn't completely remove skepticism about innovative animation and maybe even a feel that animated Spidey is not an essential viewing unlike live action one, but WOM started to spread. So OW was OK, where tracking put it, but legs started to form during the holiday stretch. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

nailed it agian.

Tik Tok doubters I smell a billie

:hahaha::bravo: