Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

58 minutes ago, Litio said:

Peter Jackson is the guy who recently gave us The Hobbit trilogy?

Robert Rodriguez is a great director and Alita is Jim's dream project. Stop pretending this has little relevance for him. 

And Robert Rodriguez recently gave us Machete in Sin City 2.

43 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Do you even know why Peter Jackson made The Hobbit trilogy? He never wanted to make it and had a horrible time making it. WB forced him to make it and make it 3 movies. Try watching They Shall Not Grow Old from last year. It is probably the biggest achievement in filmmaking in 10 years and also one of the best film of 2018. 

Tell me when Robert Rodriguez is able to make something like They Shall Not Grow Old. He seems to have been busy making shitty Spy Kids and Machete sequels.

Fake news. Peter Jackson wanted to do Hobbit adaptation before Lotr. Don"t get me wrong. Peter is a great director too, but like RR, he needs a good screenwriter with him because he is no Jim or Nolan.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And Robert Rodriguez recently gave us Machete in Sin City 2.

At least he didn't waste $750m doing them.

2 hours ago, Litio said:

Fake news. Peter Jackson wanted to do Hobbit adaptation before Lotr. Don"t get me wrong. Peter is a great director too, but like RR, he needs a good screenwriter with him because he is no Jim or Nolan.

At least he didn't waste $750m doing them.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/19/peter-jackson-battle-of-the-five-armies-i-didnt-know-what-the-hell-i-was-doing-when-i-made-the-hobbit

Didn't Peter Jackson write all of his movies. Braindead, LOTR trilogy, Meet the Feebles, and They Shall Not Grow were amazing in terms of the writing too (I know the last one didn't really need writing but it was still structured well and had some form of narrative).

Also Hobbit trilogy still made a large profit. Pretty sure half of Rodriguez's films flopped.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, Litio said:

Peter Jackson is the guy who recently gave us The Hobbit trilogy?

The $3 billion Hobbit trilogy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

The $3 billion Hobbit trilogy.

Pretty sure it didn't hit that mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Pretty sure it didn't hit that mark

True, but it got close. $2.935B WW.

5 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

I hate to pull the age card, but man, it’s clear age is a difference here. 

It’s unfair to you because you can’t help it, but the movies today don’t stand apart because they are just trying to maintain the bar Cameron set decades ago.  They all seem cookie cutter and routine, but seeing Aliens as a kid in the 80’s was fucking mind-blowing.  

I was 11 when T2 came out and 🤯🤯🤯

CG that had only been seen once before in Cameron’s own Abyss.  It was truly unique and amazing.  

I agree that hindsight bias is at play here, and I never got to experience T2 in its original context. But IMO while both are still good, watchable movies that are in many respects really fucking awesome, Titanic holds up much better than T2 despite them both being between 20-30 years old

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Why should this vex you? :) I never spoke as if it gives me some advantage over you or anyone on an anonymous forum. It doesn't matter. And I am sure there are quite a lot of other creative professionals here. I only mentioned it, because it shows that storytelling - of what we're talking now - is my narrow field of expertise, so I have some solid reasons to be sure Alita will be well liked by the public.

But, yeah, what I said is very true. I wrote at least 10 fiction books, which sold 50 000 to 100 000 copies EACH. That would make them bestsellers even in the US - and I live in a country of only 5 million in population :), where a lot of the young people have read some of my books and liked them.

If you’re telling the truth I’d love to read one of your books. If you’re as bestselling an author as you’d say I assume you wouldn’t mind giving us the name of one of your novels.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

If you’re telling the truth I’d love to read one of your books. If you’re as bestselling an author as you’d say I assume you wouldn’t mind giving us the name of one of your novels.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Anonymity on the Internet is what makes one post bold statements. Would anyone want to associate everything he does with who he wants to be in public? We started taking privacy for granted. We don't even care anymore.

But I guess turning everything inside out has always been civilisation's passion.

12 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Is it really arrogance when you're at the top? I mean.. it's hard to think Jim's better than he is when he stands at the top above all (Avatar #1 / Titanic #2)

No it's not. Arrogance is a misplaced sense of superiority. Jim is objectively #1. They like to use words that they have no understanding of. :Gaga:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DeLaMuerte said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Anonymity on the Internet is what makes one post bold statements. Would anyone want to associate everything he does with who he wants to be in public? We started taking privacy for granted. We don't even care anymore.

But I guess turning everything inside out has always been civilisation's passion.

While i agree with you  - its a bit different when you use the numbers of book you alledgedly sold as a bestselling-author as an argument to give your takes more "importance". Because nobody here has any reason to believe that unless we are given proof, i. e. the titles of the books. Without that, such an argument is literally worthless and not to be taken seriously.

I can just a easily say that i have written 10 bestsellers that millions of people love and thats why my opinions are better than other ones - thats essentially what shay is doing here. And its just meaningless words without further evidence.

And even if its true - because all opinions are subjective, its a whole other discussion whether or not an authors/directors opinions on a subject shoud actually be considered "more important".

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

No it's not. Arrogance is a misplaced sense of superiority. Jim is objectively #1. They like to use words that they have no understanding of. :Gaga:

Very true

6 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Why should this vex you? :) I never spoke as if it gives me some advantage over you or anyone on an anonymous forum. It doesn't matter. And I am sure there are quite a lot of other creative professionals here. I only mentioned it, because it shows that storytelling - of what we're talking now - is my narrow field of expertise, so I have some solid reasons to be sure Alita will be well liked by the public.

But, yeah, what I said is very true. I wrote at least 10 fiction books, which sold 50 000 to 100 000 copies EACH. That would make them bestsellers even in the US - and I live in a country of only 5 million in population :), where a lot of the young people have read some of my books and liked them.

Prove it.

4 minutes ago, Premium George said:

I don't know about him but here is my proof.

VaUzBBY.jpg

Jim seemingly is a genius with no peers, but the truth is that it's actually thousands of years of aquired wisdom.

mntz7S3.png

Here is a painting from 1789.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 5

Here's Jim shooting the space scenes in Avatar 2.

ChWjwgW.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Jim seemingly is a genius with no peers, but the truth is that it's actually thousands of years of knowledge.

mntz7S3.png

Here is a painting from 1789.

Thank you, ironjombo. I appreciate the appreciation. 3 free tickets for Avatar 2, from me to you.

3 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Thank you, ironjombo. I appreciate the appreciation. 3 free tickets for Avatar 2, from me to you.

So much for Avatar 2 making 3 billie. Now it will gross 2.999.997 billie.

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So much for Avatar 2 making 3 billie. Now it will gross 2.999.997 billie.

Oh mckillswitch23. Avatar increased by almost a $1 billion from Titanic. What in the world are you predicting only $300m increase for Na'vi sex 2?

Edited by Premium George