Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

12 hours ago, MattW said:

Was this already posted?

Notfabio from HSX works in the industry:

https://www.hsx.com/forum/forum.php?id=3&pid=467162

Fox is mandating that all screens showing ALITA in 3D must meet a minimum 4.5fl standard, will not license 3D showtimes to those that can't
Thats a brightness level measurement, they are making REAL D send field auditors to check. This is likely a James Cameron requirement to sniff out bad 3D presentations ahead of AVATAR 2.

But it can hurt the film’s box office 

15 minutes ago, Serg91 said:

I'm sorry but if Alita has to tank $10m or so for Avatar 2 so be it.

• Not Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Serg91 said:

You're assuming there is going to be huge demand for the 3D of this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You're assuming there is going to be huge demand for the 3D of this.

einstein over here

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

einstein over here

I mean, I'm no Cameron or Shay, but thank you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MattW said:

Was this already posted?

Fox is mandating that all screens showing ALITA in 3D must meet a minimum 4.5fl standard, will not license 3D showtimes to those that can't
Thats a brightness level measurement, they are making REAL D send field auditors to check. This is likely a James Cameron requirement to sniff out bad 3D presentations ahead of AVATAR 2.

4.5fl isn’t actually that high, so I wouldn’t expect that to affect many cinemas in terms of them being able to show it.

I’d be shocked if this was mandated outside of the US as well. I think I’ve mentioned this before on here, but at the UK cinema I used to work at, delivery of the hard drive with Transformers 4 also had a letter from Paramount/Michael Bay asking us to turn up the brightness for all 3D showings, but they totally ignored it as it would have shortened the life of the xenon bulb.

There was a screen we had that frequently went below 2fl, and The Martian in 3D looked like we were showing a shadow puppets version of the film. We did eventually move it out of that screen, but head office couldn’t have cared less when we notified them of the issues, and they repeatedly asked us to program 3D showings in there despite knowing it would result in complaints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

lately, i see these 200M predictions for Alita. How did @ironjimbo convince you guys to drop the voice  of reason?

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

4.5fl isn’t actually that high, so I wouldn’t expect that to affect many cinemas in terms of them being able to show it.

I’d be shocked if this was mandated outside of the US as well. I think I’ve mentioned this before on here, but at the UK cinema I used to work at, delivery of the hard drive with Transformers 4 also had a letter from Paramount/Michael Bay asking us to turn up the brightness for all 3D showings, but they totally ignored it as it would have shortened the life of the xenon bulb.

There was a screen we had that frequently went below 2fl, and The Martian in 3D looked like we were showing a shadow puppets version of the film. We did eventually move it out of that screen, but head office couldn’t have cared less when we notified them of the issues, and they repeatedly asked us to program 3D showings in there despite knowing it would result in complaints.

It's embarassing it really is. Studios need to hold cinema's accountable. Average viewers have no idea they're getting shafted, they just think less of 3D and they don't know why.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

lately, i see these 200M predictions for Alita. How did @ironjimbo convince you guys to drop the voice  of reason?

I'll admit I've been swayed somewhat.  Months ago I thought maybe 45m ("echoes of Jupiter Ascending"), but now I could see as much as 75m domestic.

14 hours ago, MattW said:

Was this already posted?

I love Jim. 

11 minutes ago, MattW said:

I'll admit I've been swayed somewhat.  Months ago I thought maybe 45m ("echoes of Jupiter Ascending"), but now I could see as much as 75m domestic.

and in just a more month you'll be saying a billie

• Like 1

Has there been any other movies on the forum where the results of the Box Office are as contentious as Alita? 

I see it all going two ways: 

It bombs - people underpredict A2 and keep thinking they're above Jim. 

It does big numbers - there are suicides and we never see ChipMunk or Wang again.  :hahaha:

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's embarassing it really is. Studios need to hold cinema's accountable. Average viewers have no idea they're getting shafted, they just think less of 3D and they don't know why.

It’s hard for them to monitor these types of issues considering the sheer number of screens worldwide, that’s why cinema chains continue to get away with this kind of thing. 

If you want good 3D, then IMAX (preferably Laser IMAX) is the way to go. Their engineers are very strict and any faults are fixed very quickly as they seem to hold themselves to a higher standard.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MattW said:

I have to hand it to Jimbo, he has done more for the movie on here than anyone. His write up for the Alita Club is nothing short of brilliance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Has there been any other movies on the forum where the results of the Box Office are as contentious as Alita? 

You really don't get around to any threads besides Alita/Avatar 2, huh?  This is barely on the radar compared to others.

I see it all going two ways: 

It bombs - people underpredict A2 and keep thinking they're above Jim. 

What Alita makes has zero bearing on what Avatar 2 makes.

It does big numbers - there are suicides and we never see ChipMunk or Wang again.  :hahaha:

I have stated many times that I will fully admit if and when I am wrong.  You however, haven't been so forthcoming, so that will be interesting to see!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s hard for them to monitor these types of issues considering the sheer number of screens worldwide, that’s why cinema chains continue to get away with this kind of thing. 

If you want good 3D, then IMAX (preferably Laser IMAX) is the way to go. Their engineers are very strict and any faults are fixed very quickly as they seem to hold themselves to a higher standard.

What type of IMAX is the BFI? I've got tickets for that one already.

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I have to hand it to Jimbo, he has done more for the movie on here than anyone. His write up for the Alita Club is nothing short of brilliance. 

Thanks JCS, I'm sure you could have wrote up something better though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

You really don't get around to any threads besides Alita/Avatar 2, huh?  This is barely on the radar compared to others.

Could you point me to one example? 

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I have stated many times that I will fully admit if and when I am wrong.  You however, haven't been so forthcoming, so that will be interesting to see!

Your powers of deduction are legendary, not only do you know what I think, you also know how I act! Really Wang you're a wasted talent on these boards, imagine if you'd spent 1/10th of your time here working for an intelligence agency, you'd be running the show by now. 

• Haha 3

Could you point me to one example? 

Your powers of deduction are legendary, not only do you know what I think, you also know how I act! Really Wang you're a wasted talent on these boards, imagine if you'd spent 1/10th of your time here working for an intelligence agency, you'd be running the show by now. 

Scholar making Deep look like a retard over and over again has to be the highlight of this thread!

I just hope that the movie can live up to the high expectations people here are having X__X it is my most anticipated movie of Feb for sure.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

so...ummm....tracking comes out next week, right? gonna be fun

2 minutes ago, Panda said:

Scholar making Deep look like a retard over and over again has to be the highlight of this thread!

I just hope that the movie can live up to the high expectations people here are having X__X it is my most anticipated movie of Feb for sure.

I take no credit for that, Wang does a fine job of making himself look foolish all on his own. Also, no need to use ableist slurs, there are far nicer terms we can use. 

(OT but are the Pandas multiplying?! :winomg:)