Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Fair enough. :)

Just rewatched the teaser.

Scrapyard is 100th of the size as it is in the manga.

Not a fan of the shot of her running across the rooftop.

Not a fan of the superman dive at razor finger man, slowmo and mouth wide open.

I think it just didn't match my vision of iron city so my gut reaction was dissappointment

Edited by IronJimbo

30 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Avatar looked absolutely stunning in 3D on my TV when I bought the 3D Blu Ray a few months back. The 3D on that film still hasn’t been bettered.

I remember JC said they dialed back the depth of the 3D on Avatar because they weren't sure if an audience could handle it for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Now that those worries are gone, I think they won't hold back on Alita. 

• Like 2

I’m considering splashing out and seeing this in Dolby Cinema at the Odeon Leicester Square.  Feel I need to see this at its optimum. Got a feeling it might be special...

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

March is way too crowded for that. 

Really? It is actually the worst by far March I have ever seen. I see only 2 big movies, instead of the usual 5. And both of them look like low quality 2nd tier Disney (CapMarvel & Dumbo).

Quality aside, what big March movies am I missing (I wanted to ask this question for some time anyway)?

Edited by shayhiri

March has 3 big movies but only one of them is direct competition with Alita.  It should do fine.

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

March has 3 big movies but only one of them is direct competition with Alita.  It should do fine.

What is the third big one? Chaos Walking is not big - and I thought it was way delayed anyway. (LOL - it is still featured in the Release Schedule @ BOM.) Wonder Park is not big...

Edited by shayhiri

Sorry to be this guy but I think the eyes are still gonna be hugely problematic.

You re all accustomed to it now but a large part of GA will probably never be.

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

What is the third big one? Chaos Walking is not big - and I thought it was way delayed anyway. (LOL - it is still featured in the Release Schedule @ BOM.) Wonder Park is not big...

Us is going to be huge. Also, this isn't the work March ever. March is usually completely empty. The only big movie in March last year was Black Panther and that released the month before. Captain Marvel might be low tier or whatever but it is still going to be making 140 mil+ opening weekend based on tracking. That is going to kill Alita's legs. Dumbo is more likely to not do well but Disney is still going insist on giving it a lot of screens just like they did with A Wrinkle in Time.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

That is going to kill Alita's legs.

It might, or it might not. Remember when Spiderman was supposed to kill Wonder Woman's legs...

It's all hypothetical right now anyway. Argument might be even mood if Alita underwhelms at the box office. Let's see how it opens, everything else we might discuss in due time. ;) 

Edited by Elessar

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Us is going to be huge. Also, this isn't the work March ever. March is usually completely empty. The only big movie in March last year was Black Panther and that released the month before. Captain Marvel might be low tier or whatever but it is still going to be making 140 mil+ opening weekend based on tracking. That is going to kill Alita's legs. Dumbo is more likely to not do well but Disney is still going insist on giving it a lot of screens just like they did with A Wrinkle in Time.

Captain Marvel is 3 weeks after and the other movies are more than a month after.  More than enough time for it to make a significant amount of money.

According to GoogleTrends, interest for Alita is tiny compared to Captain Marvel. That isn't surprising, but Alita is even easily beaten by... Hellboy.

I am still waiting for any positive sign of a possible breakout, but all objective measures point to a low opening, unfortunately. A few weeks for FOX marketing people (those who haven't left to find a new job before the Disney armageddon) to work their magic...

9 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

According to GoogleTrends, interest for Alita is tiny compared to Captain Marvel. That isn't surprising, but Alita is even easily beaten by... Hellboy.

I am still waiting for any positive sign of a possible breakout, but all objective measures point to a low opening, unfortunately. A few weeks for FOX marketing people (those who haven't left to find a new job before the Disney armageddon) to work their magic...

Starting with February Fox will launch a huge TV ad campaign that will run ads 24/7 highlighting all the accolades Alita has been getting from the press.

Or that's what i wish will thappen. :sweat:

4 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Captain Marvel is 3 weeks after and the other movies are more than a month after.  More than enough time for it to make a significant amount of money.

But the guy I was replied to said the movie will have 5-7x multiplier. A movie can't reach 5-7x multiplier from the first 3 weeks. 

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

It might, or it might not. Remember when Spiderman was supposed to kill Wonder Woman's legs...

Wonder Woman had a 4x multiplier though and was the first ever "big" female superhero movie. This time Captain Marvel has the political aspect to it just like WW did.

Captain Marvel is releasing 2 weeks away from Alita in China now. Will severely cut the legs considering that Captain Marvel has huge buzz in China (bigger than Alita). I'm thinking around 150 mil max in China.

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Captain Marvel is releasing 2 weeks away from Alita in China now. Will severely cut the legs considering that Captain Marvel has huge buzz in China (bigger than Alita). I'm thinking around 150 mil max in China.

Lmao captain Marvel about to open so low. Imagine how jarring it will be watching captain marvel just two weeks after Alita. They'll be thinking why didn't I just watch Alita again.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

If you look at world wide tracking numbers Alita is very much on par with captain marvel.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 3-m&q=%2Fm%2F08tyfg,%2Fm%2F0126b88c

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Lmao captain Marvel about to open so low. Imagine how jarring it will be watching captain marvel just two weeks after Alita. They'll be thinking why didn't I just watch Alita again.

Do some research before you spew shit out.

Captain Marvel has 43,000 people who want to watch it on Maoyan while Alita has 31,000. 

Captain Marvel has 7 million trailer views on weibo which is more than Venom, Aquaman, and Ant Man and the Wasp. I have no clue what Alita's trailer views are is but there is certain a lot of hype looking at these numbers.

But I guess you are just going to go on a tangent again and talk about how people will not watch Captain Marvel just because you said so.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wildphantom said:

I’m considering splashing out and seeing this in Dolby Cinema at the Odeon Leicester Square.  Feel I need to see this at its optimum. Got a feeling it might be special...

We should have a BOT day out. 

• Like 2