Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

19 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

I was watching a streaming of Steven Universe on Cartoon Network (U.S.) yesterday and I swear that every single commercial break had an advertise for Alita. 

So was I. At that point I was like "I GET IT, I'M GONNA SEE IT! GOD." 

9 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Spiderverse also had 97% on RT, which I highly doubt Alita will have.

So a critical darling, one of the most famous and well known superheroes of all time, DURING Christmas is going to crawl to a 5x(maybe).

But Alita is just gonna make it look easy, huh?

How is its 30m+ OW in december bad? Should people be more excited about the seventh Spider Man movie? A new Spider Man just after 2 reboots only in this decade? 

35 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

This music is beautiful  this-is-beautiful.gif

12 minutes ago, Litio said:

How is its 30m+ OW in december bad? Should people be more excited about the seventh Spider Man movie? A new Spider Man just after 2 reboots only in this decade? 

I didn't say the opening weekend in December was bad.  I said that it had an extremely high RT score and the holiday to help it's legs and it's barely going to hit a 5x if it does.  Yet, Alita, without the help of the holidays and being one of the best reviewed movies of the year, it's apparently going to hit 5x-7x multi.

6QkfD6n.png

Google changed the runtime from 2 hours 2 minutes to 2 hours 22 minutes. Who knows what the true runtime is.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Spiderverse also had 97% on RT, which I highly doubt Alita will have.

So a critical darling, one of the most famous and well known superheroes of all time, DURING Christmas is going to crawl to a 5x(maybe).

But Alita is just gonna make it look easy, huh?

Please don't conflate RT score with WOM.

Go check Avatar and Titanics RT page.

7 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It made $300M WW on a $90M budget, it’s a damn success.

$325 million - China's $62 million = $263 million x 50% estimated take for the studio = $131.5 million

China $62 million x 25% = $15.5 

Total to date: $147 million, I would consider it a moderate success for now once you factor in marketing costs. Post theatre run it will rack up some decent profit. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen 1 TV ad yet on US or Canadian networks, no shortage of Captain Marvel and Glass with the occasional How to Train Your Dragon III. 

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Please don't conflate RT score with WOM.

Go check Avatar and Titanics RT page.

I didn't.  

Movies that score that high are going to attract attention from people that wouldn't have otherwise cared.  That gets more butts in seats that it would have initially.

I didn't care about Bumblebee until I saw it was in the 90's!  Then I looked to see who directed it and was like, okay, this makes sense to me, and now I want to see it, and so I did.

I didn't care about the score for Aquaman because I knew I wanted to see it based on my own desires.

I know not everyone does this, but there are plenty that do.  I already want to see Alita, so the score won't effect my decision there.

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I didn't say the opening weekend in December was bad.  I said that it had an extremely high RT score and the holiday to help it's legs and it's barely going to hit a 5x if it does.  Yet, Alita, without the help of the holidays and being one of the best reviewed movies of the year, it's apparently going to hit 5x-7x multi.

You quoted the post saying Spiderverse floped even with Post Malone music....

Well, Spiderverse will finish over 5x. It need $20m more.

You already said you don't see Alita doing 5x. You don't need repete that every day.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Litio said:

You quoted the post saying Spiderverse floped even with Post Malone music....

Well, Spiderverse will finish over 5x. It need $20m more.

You already said you don't see Alita doing 5x. You don't need repete that every day.

His post just reminded me that Spiderverse, despite having literally everything going for it, will barely do what a few think Alita will do, with less help as well.

13 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

His post just reminded me that Spiderverse, despite having literally everything going for it, will barely do what a few think Alita will do, with less help as well.

Correct.

You're looking at this from the wrong angle though.

Why did Spiderverse make so little, that is the correct question.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

But Alita might be the bigger event, might have the bigger "you have to see this in theater" factor. That's what gets WOM rolling. Think Gravity.

Not saying it WILL do that. I said myself that a 5x multi is extremely difficult to get outside December. 4x would already be a great feat.

Edited by Elessar

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Correct.

You're looking at this from the wrong angle though.

It overachieved, I had it pegged as lucky to do $100-125m. 

I say that as a card carrying unapologetic comic book movie fan. 

Looked fun but nothing that said "Pay $14 to see me". 

1 minute ago, Captain Craig said:

It overachieved, I had it pegged as lucky to do $100-125m. 

I say that as a card carrying unapologetic comic book movie fan. 

Looked fun but nothing that said "Pay $14 to see me". 

Well why are we comparing this to Alita anyway, seems dumb.

I didn't bring it up. However, I can see why.

I don't have Alita doing much more than I did for Spider-verse. 

It doesn't look interesting enough to me either. Maybe it'll also surprise. 

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Because you started talking about 5-7x multiplier. If Spider-verse wasn't able to have such legs in December, how will Alita in February? The leggiest February film ever with an opening of more than 20 mil is Get Out and even that only had a 5.3x multiplier. That film had a lot more going for it too with a political aspect to it and being lauded as one of the best horror films ever. 

Even if we go down to a 10 mil opening, the films with better legs than Get Out (the kind of legs you are talking about) released more than 20 years ago.

If we look at just action-blockbusters, leggiest action blockbuster in February (barely beating Black Panther) was the first Kingsman and that film only had a 3.5x multiplier. Forget a 7x multiplier, that is far away from a 5x multiplier.

Edited by lorddemaxus

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think they are similar in a sense that the initial reveal turned a lot of people off.  The animation style in SM is wholly unique and odd.  I was in from the word go(like you and Alita), but I can totally understand why a lot of people:

a)probably didn't want an animated Spider-Man 

b)the animation is really weird.

Alita's initial reveal was similarly off-putting to many people as well.  The eyes especially had people in a tizzy.

Spider-Man had to overcome that to get to where it is, and I think Alita has come a long way, but the question we still have lingering is if it has done enough to get the butts in the seats.

Every movie is a time and place thing and maybe it will be time for Alita to breakout in a big way!  

of all the threads I feel I've missed out on over the last year... this is the one.

Spider-Verse did well. Alita will do Jupiter Ascending numbers probably. If it does well in China then China probably accounts for 30-40% of its gross.