Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

To quote Jon Landau "This one clearly has Jim's inprint on it"

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

To quote Jon Landau "This one clearly has Jim's inprint on it"

Of course the makers of the film are going to big up James Cameron's involvement as much as possible. The film has nothing else going for it lol.

Every time I go to the cinema there's an advert: "Hi, I'm Jim Cameron, please come and see my new movie Alita Battle Angel, in 3D"

exactly the same advert format, incidentally, that Mortal Engines had. With Peter Jackson telling you, "Hi, I'm Peter Jackson, please come and see my new movie Mortal Engines".

despite the fact neither of them directed the films.

I'm sure Michael Bay tells the press that his films are amazing, doesn't mean audiences will agree. You shouldn't take such things at face value, imo. People who have a benefit in a film succeeding are not going to say negative things about it. Duh.

Edited by Avatree

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Of course the makers of the film are going to big up James Cameron's involvement as much as possible. The film has nothing else going for it lol.

Every time I go to the cinema there's an advert: "Hi, I'm Jim Cameron, please come and see my new movie Alita Battle Angel, in 3D"

I'm sure Michael Bay tells the press that his films are amazing, doesn't mean audiences will agree. You shouldn't take such things at face value, imo. People who have a benefit in a film succeeding are not going to say negative things about it. Duh.

Landau noted that Cameron is actively involved with the post-production on “Alita,” adding, “This one clearly has Jim’s imprint.”

Hmmmmmm. I don't see a reason not to believe this.

This wasn't a promo Tree, it was in a smalltime interview by a Variety.

Edited by IronJimbo

5 minutes ago, ImNotExcited said:

As expected (would have loved to see an R rated version)... though i think they might have gotten away with quite a bit because of the green cyborg blood :)

even if JC directed this it would still flop. manga films  is just not something american audiences rush out to see.

the audience for this type of movie is limited. GITS had mega publicity and scarlett johanson and still flopped.  Edge of Tomorrow which i love, had a more appealing premise and bombed.

• Not Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

even if JC directed this it would still flop. manga films  is just not something american audiences rush out to see.

the audience for this type of movie is limited. GITS had mega publicity and scarlett johanson and still flopped.  Edge of Tomorrow which i love, had a more appealing premise and bombed.

starting to think the haters didn't even read my thread!

Ghost in the Shell and Anime movies

There's an argument being used that because all other Hollywood anime adaptions have failed that Alita will aswell. It sounds like a compelling argument at first glance but the problem is they're talking about literally three films (Ghost in the Shell, Dragon Ball Evolution and Speed Racer). All three films were poorly received which is bad for new IPs (in the west) and only GiTs is really comparable but even that is a stretch.

Alita and Ghost in the Shell are very different films when you go a level deeper than “anime films with robot girl”. Ghost in the Shell is a crime/drama with hard philosophical undertone’s targeted at male adults. Whereas Alita is an action/romance with big world-building and large spectacle yet grounded in emotion that targets the same audience that Avatar did.

Rodriguez said about “Ghost’s” box office failure. “I think it’s because they didn’t connect emotionally. I felt like I was only looking at it; I wasn’t feeling it. Our story and character feel so relatable. That’s why we used real sets. It’s got to be really grounded.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Alli said:

even if JC directed this it would still flop.

Nah, if this were actually his movie, writing as well as directing, this would be a completely different story.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alli said:

LOL, Alli, let me shine a very important point for you.

Yes, I agree that American audiences are... a very limited bunch. But that is exactly why they DON'T KNOW this is a Manga. They haven't got the faintest idea. Dumb as doornails. :)

And the film itself doesn't show its Manga origin in any way. Neither did EoT. So neither of them bombs. Get it? :)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

LOL, Alli, let me shine a very important point for you.

Yes, I agree that American audiences are... a very limited bunch. But that is exactly why they DON'T KNOW this is a Manga. They haven't got the faintest idea. Dumb as doornails. :)

And the film itself doesn't show its Manga origin in any way. Neither did EoT. So neither of them bombs. Get it? :)

Edge of Tomorrow was hardly a hit.

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Edge of Tomorrow was hardly a hit.

Yep, it got exactly what it deserved. And it didn't flop at all.

Alita has a much wider and stronger premise, so it will make much more.

Edited by shayhiri

Cruise Control has nothing on the star power of ROSA SALAZAR

There is no Rosa in this movie.

There is though a very unique, and still painfully universal creation called Alita.

Girls will want to be like her. (Pay attention, this is always the meal ticket for big money: the power of horny teen girls.)

Guys will also want to sleep with her. The perfect waifu, within reach for a first time! :)

EoT was practically a GAME movie. And these are thrice as cursed as the Manga movies. And with good reason. Games are the opposite of story, that is also why the Sultan of Stories (the Shay) hates them.

And even Tom Cruise can't make a big hit out of a fucking GAME movie! (Just a smaller hit.)

Can Jim Cameron make a big hit out of a very universal, fresh as fuck and WILDLY FOUR QUADRANT story?

PS: You know it's easy-peasy for him. ;)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

he perfect waifu, within reach for a first time! :)

gross

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, ImNotExcited said:

No way!! Completely unexpected!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The next Best Picture nominee from a Valentine’s Opening? After all, Jim’s last two films...

Edited by Thanos Legion

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

The next Best Picture nominee from a Valentine’s Opening? After all, Jim’s last two films...

14 Noms. 14 Wins. 14 Billion worldwide. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1