Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

I think it's pretty damn obvious who the main villains are in Alita, if people need an instruction sheet to help them figure it out then...educational systems around the world have failed. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I think it's pretty damn obvious who the main villains are in Alita, if people need an instruction sheet to help them figure it out then...educational systems around the world have failed. 

Pssst. It's the system.

A Story in general (not just films but also also books, comics, manga, anime etc.) doesnt need a (main) villain to be a great story. However, when it has a (main) villain to drive the conflict in the story, it needs that villain to be at least good to be a great story.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

My 8 year old (9 in a few days) is also very hyped for Alita. 

Brother? Sister? Cousin?

Son? Daughter?

:hahaha:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Someone not cool lorddex for me im out of reactions.

See Elessars post lorddex..

It is ok IronJimbo, we know that you know nothing about storytelling.

• Not Cool 6

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

A Story in general (not just films but also also books, comics, manga, anime etc.) doesnt need a (main) villain to be a great story. However, when it has a (main) villain to drive the conflict in the story, it needs that villain to be at least good to be a great story.

Oh, this story is very hard to fit in a box, because some villains are there as a tragic obstacle on Alita's path. 

There's a beautiful side side story in the original manga that depicts how fates cross path in this story and someone is meant to be stepped over.

That's how this narrative mostly moves on. Even greatest villains... [I can't spoil that.]

And Alita herself is kinda an anti-hero at some points. 

In the end, you enjoy the journey of a vulnerable human's introspection, finding strength to stand up to fate (almost literally), getting over grief and doing the right thing. [as corny as ot sounds...]

How they've adapted such an intangible plot is yet to be found out.

Maybe its plus points come down to garnering affection for a fully CG MC (very meta, huh), relationships, visual spectacle and the overall theatre experience for a casual viewing.

If we disregard that one review, and hear about the sequels already being in demand - which are, in a way, gently getting nudged onto our plate, together with infrequent talks about this being an origin story - and the audiences recognise all that, then we're on a roll. If not, at least we had one loveable chance at it. And the manga author had his dream come true!

Edited by DeLaMuerte
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Hadn't really thought about it, but yeah, her being the only full CGI character is almost par for the course to the manga readers. As long the character feels like it's there, the medium matters little.
We've grown some very thick skin towards what we consider "to be a person" 😐

I even regard lorddemaxus as one.

Spoiler

It's a joke! Chill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From a certain betting site which I won't publicize

Opening Weekend #RottenTomatoes Score @AlitaMovie

OVER 80.5% -130

UNDER 80.5% +100

Higher odds that it earns 80%+ on the tomatometer. 

30 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

I even regard lorddemaxus as one.

Reveal hidden contents

I love you too.

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, vovin said:

From a certain betting site which I won't publicize

Higher odds that it earns 80%+ on the tomatometer. 

Sucker bet. Pound the under.

Another review.

It looked fantastic. The animated characters had more heart than the living ones. But inside of it, it was a empty hole. 7/10 just for the imax experience.

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

Another review.

Nice pick... here is another one :)

Quick thoughts, this is the best anime adaptation, and all of it because it's a love letter to the anime and a re-interpretation of it. A blockbuster with the heart of a coming of age drama and the pulpiness & entertainment value of a b-movie, everything about Alita made me fall in love with it. Sure, it has your usual blockbuster structure, but even the most cynical moviegoers should find themselves enamored with the big heart this film has.

i guess fans of the Manga might be in for a treat (which makes me really happy). Will be interesting to see what the rest of the general public is going to think.

https://letterboxd.com/film/alita-battle-angel/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

It is ok IronJimbo, we know that you know nothing about storytelling.

Why are you so angry all the time?

Take a chill pill dude.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Alli said:

Another review.

It looked fantastic. The animated characters had more heart than the living ones.

Spoiler

But inside of it, it was a empty hole. 7/10 just for

the imax experience.

Oh my god. That's amazing for a letterboxd review. I mean, Spider man homecoming has a 3.7 average there, higher than Avatar with 3.3 and Wonder Woman with 3.6. So... 

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

Why are you so angry all the time?

Take a chill pill dude.

Where was I angry? I was just stating a fact.

• Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 3

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Where was I angry? I was just stating a fact.

yes it’s an indisputable fact that IronJimbo knows nothing about storytelling.  clearly we should leave you alone, it’s not like you were being aggressive to someone who really didn’t deserve it.

• Like 4