Jump to content
Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I disavow my homeland.

You're forever welcome in a galaxy far, far away with the rest of us sweetie. Love you! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NCsoft said:

I'd give everything to have the equivalence of Jurassic Park, Independence day, and Titanic showing up all within a duration of 4.5 years in this era. 

I guess PoC blockbusters like Black Panther are bad now. 🤔

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Funny enough I'd disagree personally, I think the 2010s has had some of the best franchise fare, not to mention if you're not into franchises there's like...other movies. Great dramas like Beale Street or Roma, incredible Sci-Fi like Annihilation etc etc

Beale Street is probably not making money and Annihilation was sold to Netflix. Heck what you're implying here is that edgier, ambitious films only have a place in the small screen...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Impossible said:

Beale Street is probably not making money and Annihilation was sold to Netflix. Heck what you're implying here is that edgier, ambitious films only have a place in the small screen...

Like it's always been? Most big blockbuster movies don't tackle that kind of content the ways smaller films do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so sorry folks for the late response I was firing my driver for nearly killing us both on the way back, as he apparently can't be trusted to drive in mildly snowy conditions. 

 

Now on to the main points (at least from my perspective): 

 

- Felt like it lacked a third act, I really did want more, it could have easily been an hour - it felt about 45 minutes long. 

- The CGI and action are sublime, better than Avatar and a new standard in my view. 

- The 3D wasn't actually as big a step as I anticipated it to be from Avatar, very much the same caliber on my view. 

- It's definitely a James Cameron movie, there's no denying it, it's just that it's not a James Cameron execution of it, it's close, but just not quite there

- Landau said a couple of things, I asked him if he thought Alita would beat Avatar and he just laughed and said Alita was the soup before the main course. 

- Jim said no one is a harsher critic or more determined to beat his previous records than him, "I can never rest on my laurels, although making a great movie is the real goal". 

 

Any other questions please ask away. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALOT of the reviews talk about this being "Cameron's Project", ALOT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cameron and Jackson were suposed to "save" blockbuster filmmaking from their new Zealand ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mulder said:

Like it's always been? Most big blockbuster movies don't tackle that kind of content the ways smaller films do.

Nope cause back then even smaller films got a theatrical release... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mulder said:

Wonderful how there's something known as...opinions. 

Didn't claim it was something else.

 

With one caveat, opinions can be influenced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also can confirm that without a shade of sarcasm that was me the woman was complaining about, I shouted "Jim did it not once, but twice." and was threatened with removal by the ushers. :hahaha:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 16
  • Astonished 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Nova said:

Those movies weren't good. So I'm not sure what critics were supposed to do about that. Trust me when I say that I want non CBM franchises to exist and be launched but you can't give folks something sub par and then expect people to rave about it or go out and watch it. Maybe if studios actually put sometime and effort, like Kevin Feige did with the MCU, they too can have their own big budget franchise. You're even seeing it with the DCEU a bit. They're actually putting more time and effort into their stories and what not and the results have began to shift (Aquaman and Wonder Woman for example). Then you have Paramount with the Transformers franchise and how they were able to relaunch that. 

These things are already a part of pop culture, none of them is new. DC characters goes back to 1930s, most Marvel characters existed for half a century with established fanbase. Transformers goes all the way back to early 1980s. Whatever is being reinvented, they are being reinvented based on old material with a fan-base that will always give them a chance. It's like the public consciousness is filled with established pop culture, and nothing can intrude in anymore. New material do not get the benefit of the doubt.

When I said nothing new can establish themselves, I meant "new". This generation's Star Wars, Titanic, ET, Terminator, Alien and Jurassic Park.

 

btw, WarCraft does not deserve a 24% RT rating, if only audiences and critics alike gave it a chance, it could have massively improved with sequels with much more interesting stories to tell.

 

Edited by NCsoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

ALOT of the reviews talk about this being "Cameron's Project", ALOT. 

Bitter people are pretending that they directed what they didn't direct.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

cameron and Jackson were suposed to "save" blockbuster filmmaking from their new Zealand ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Okay, so sorry folks for the late response I was firing my driver for nearly killing us both on the way back, as he apparently can't be trusted to drive in mildly snowy conditions. 

 

Now on to the main points (at least from my perspective): 

 

- Felt like it lacked a third act, I really did want more, it could have easily been an hour - it felt about 45 minutes long. 

- The CGI and action are sublime, better than Avatar and a new standard in my view. 

- The 3D wasn't actually as big a step as I anticipated it to be from Avatar, very much the same caliber on my view. 

- It's definitely a James Cameron movie, there's no denying it, it's just that it's not a James Cameron execution of it, it's close, but just not quite there

- Landau said a couple of things, I asked him if he thought Alita would beat Avatar and he just laughed and said Alita was the soup before the main course. 

- Jim said no one is a harsher critic or more determined to beat his previous records than him, "I can never rest on my laurels, although making a great movie is the real goal". 

 

Any other questions please ask away. 

Slater? Is that you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Also can confirm that without a shade of sarcasm that was me the woman was complaining about, I shouted "Jim did it not once, but twice." and was threatened with removal by the ushers. :hahaha:

JCS you're an absolute legend.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Nope cause back then even smaller films got a theatrical release... 

Plenty of dramas get theatrical releases idk what you're implying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ThIs thread is a pure shitstorm.

 

Young adults and people with heart will love this, those familiar with manga culture most likely will too. Fans of original works as well. Asia loves it. Fans of visual spectacle, one of a kind action sequences or tragic and surprising twists will love this. Intelligent folks with a sense for philosophical flavour to life will love it, those who ponder upon technological singularity too.

 

There's a perfect GA in the whole wide world. If they want to see this, they're already sold by the trailers. Truly, a shitty reviews aggregation site like RT that's worth no glance seems relevant only to the US surprisingly. And it's circlejerked on BOT forum no surprisingly, with mob mentality that's out of touch with anything because of the attention fixed on every single detail flowing in the stream of information.

 

The world would rather judge a movie by IMDb or Metascore, YT clips, WOM... and mixed reviews would only nudge them to see this by themselves.

 

I give up on trying to follow anything with you guys, I'd rather go see this movie, and bring 50 people with me with ease.

 

So long.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.