Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

“It’s in the $150 million range,” Rodriguez said.

Assuming $175mn COP as @lorddemaxus suggest + $125mn plus worldwide release cost + $75mn Participation, Overheads, Home Entertainment cost, etc. Total cost would be $375mn Approx.

$175mn Theatrical SHARE (the case as discussed above) + $125mn TV/Home Entertainment, etc. Still deficit of $75mn.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

For a movie like this, that is the only way. Europe doesn't care, neither does America. Presales in South America seem pretty lackluster too. And Asia-China doesn't seem anywhere near as strong as it needs to be to carry the film to 500 mil. The only two markets where it has a chance to blow up is China and Japan and as many have pointed out, there is way too much competition in China. 

Unlikely to do much in Japan. Certainly not enough to take it to 500M...

Japanese audiences for the most part do not like Hollywood adaptations of Japanese culture manga/anime.

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

S ~ B :sparta:

Ghost in the Bell.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Unlikely to do much in Japan. Certainly not enough to take it to 500M...

Japanese audiences for the most part do not like Hollywood adaptations of Japanese culture manga/anime.

I was just being optimistic to make TimmyRiggins happy.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The budget is really $200mn? As wiki suggest. :jeb!:

There's absolutely no way it's not bombing. Even if it manage $200mn in China and $300mn in rest, that's still $175mn Approx theatrical share.

Don't think this will do big numbers home entertainment.

170M

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Page 300. I was here discussing the bomb this film is.

The (No. of pages in this topic) x (1 million) could be higher than the WW gross by the end of its run.

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was just being optimistic to make TimmyRiggins happy.

You're constantly rehashing the same old bit. If you can't muster any positivity, I'm unsure why you're still here

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

You're constantly rehashing the same old bit. If you can't muster any positivity, I'm unsure why you're still here

This isn't a circlejerk thread where everyone has to be positive, you know? 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

170M

it's still going to lose serious money.

Just now, TimmyRiggins said:

If you can't muster any positivity, I'm unsure why you're still here

You know this is a box office forum right, not a Alita fandom forum?

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

There is a big difference between constantly coming on a thread for a specific film and being negative all the time, trashing a film in various ways (some subtle, others not) and being neutral or positive. You see the same nonsense on Twitter these days, hell, everywhere, with folks constantly telling you how much this or that sucks, that this is bombing, bla bla, that's why negativity is so rampant online, people who like or love something don't feel that need as much. Reminds me of those folks still telling anyone who cares how much they hate Avatar or BvS or Snyder, or whatever, they need to be heard, need people to hear their opinion ! 

@Avatree Until the film's BO run is done, you have no way of knowing this. If it does below 400 M WW, I guess it's losing money, until then, it's not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The budget is really $200mn? As wiki suggest. :jeb!:

There's absolutely no way it's not bombing. Even if it manage $200mn in China and $300mn in rest, that's still $175mn Approx theatrical share.

Don't think this will do big numbers home entertainment.

This may sound terrible, but should we start drafting the career obituary for Robert Rodriguez, based on this?

• Not Cool 1

Just now, 35MM-18 said:

This may sound terrible, but should we start drafting the career obituary for Robert Rodriguez, based on this?

Not as long as Robert Zemeckis is still making movies. 

• Like 1

rodriguez is usually pretty savvy. being a big studio tentpole in 2019 this movie has an inflated budget but generally making movies on the cheap is his thing. he's not like the wachowskis who genuinely might never make another movie because they seem to only have expensive ideas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Not as long as Robert Zemeckis is still making movies. 

We'll wait until next year and see how The Witches turns out.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

rodriguez is usually pretty savvy. being a big studio tentpole in 2019 this movie has an inflated budget but generally making movies on the cheap is his thing. he's not like the wachowskis who genuinely might never make another movie because they seem to only have expensive ideas.

Low-budget films are his thing, yes, but he hasn't had a movie make money since 2010, so I imagine he might have trouble finding backers for whatever he does next (though he does have Red 11 coming soon, so we'll see).

Let's wait a few more hours, but presales do look decent on Fandango. Obviously, the increase over the next few days will be crucial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Charlie Jatinder and Avatree are Alita haters who just come here to bash the movie and claim it's a bomb, even though its first results are good and it wasn't even released in most of the markets yet. And you can't predict China results, it's an anomaly zone, anything can happen there, you just have to wait and see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Charlie Jatinder and Avatree are Alita haters who just come here to bash the movie and claim it's a bomb, even though its first results are good and it wasn't even released in most of the markets yet. And you can't predict China results, it's an anomaly zone, anything can happen there, you just have to wait and see.

what the hell are you talking about? Why are you calling me an "Alita hater"? I watched Alita last week and loved it.

and Charlie Jatinder im pretty sure works in the industry he seems pretty objective with his posts generally..

as for China being some void of information that is impossible to predict, I am not going to even acknowledge the ridiculousness of that suggestion.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

There's a China thread with people who are very good at predicting its results you know. Everyone knew that The Wandering Earth would win Chinese New Year despite lower presales and that it would be huge, to say something. 

Edited by salvador-232