Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

53 minutes ago, chuck0 said:

The annoying thing is that i cant even read her review (which is now up on RT) since i am from Europe...

And i certainly dont want to tell her which kind of characters she is supposed to like. But contrary to this, she is trying to tell the public to not like female characters written by Cameron (and men in general). And that imho goes a bit far and seems more like trying to stir up controversity for her review. Yes, women are frequently not depicted in the most favourable light and yes, typical badass female characters can be just as bad as damsels in distress (Sucker Punch is probably a good example here), but Camerons depiction/writing of women is certainly not the worst offender with respect to this.

Here's her review 2 stars.

Movie review: Weak script brings down ‘Alita: Battle Angel’

•  
    •  

It’s been five years since director Robert Rodriguez’s last feature film, “Sin City: A Dame to Kill For,” and he makes his return in a big way with the outlandish, over-the-top manga adaptation “Alita: Battle Angel.” No one can say the film is not a big swing — it truly goes for it, and does so with jaw-dropping vim and vigor. But does it connect? Somewhat. Second question — who is this massive $200 million blockbuster film for? It’s unclear, as the film is incredibly violent, with a main character that espouses a decidedly innocent worldview.

It was obvious from the early glimpses at the film’s main character, Alita, that Rodriguez and company were not holding back with the aesthetic. Actress Rosa Salazar’s eyes have been digitally enlarged to mimic the look of the 1990 cyberpunk manga “Battle Angel Alita” by Yukito Kishiro. But the character’s entire face exists in a digital uncanny valley. It signifies she’s not like the rest of the citizens in the post-apocalyptic Iron City — she’s a cyborg, scooped up from the trash heap by Dr. Dyson Ido (Christoph Waltz), who implants her core into a robotic body salvaged from his dead daughter.

Despite the apocalypse, it’s all right in Iron City. It’s a multicultural melting pot of cultures and robotics, where humans rely on biomedical tech. Cyborgs and humans come together to cheer on the wild professional sport that is Motorball, a cross between speed-skating, Nascar and Quidditch. The grand champion gets the lucky chance to ascend to Zalem, “the last of the great sky cities,” which floats above Iron City and sucks up factory goods through a giant tube.

Alita is a blank slate and experiences everything in Iron City with a childlike wonder, from chocolate to Motorball and to her first crush, on a street scavenger named Hugo (Keean Johnson). She remembers nothing of her past, but she possesses unique fighting skills, which she puts to use defending her loved ones, and eventually as a “hunter warrior” bounty hunter. In her most perilous moments, she receives a memory from her past — ninja fighting on the moon, ascending the giant tube to Zalem.

Eventually, Alita finds the robotic body that fits her skills, a foreign piece of tech that’s essentially an alien weapon, all the better to violently dismember robots with. Co-writer James Cameron has embarrassingly described “Alita: Battle Angel” as a metaphor for female puberty, and the filmmakers execute that symbolism in truly bone-headed fashion with her new fighting body. Like the rest of the film, it’s so insane it has to be seen to be believed.

Alita isn’t like the cinematic warrior princesses and action heroines we’ve seen before. She’s emotionally a child, wide-eyed and filled with naive selflessness. But it’s easy to get frustrated with Alita, especially as she pours her talents into her dopey, good-for-nothing boyfriend. As a director, Rodriguez brings a go-for-broke sense of world-building and wildly fantastical style that can be intoxicating, but the film is failed by the weak script co-written by Cameron, Rodriguez and Laeta Kalogridis. Character motivations are sloppy, storylines dropped, details muddy. With tonal inconsistencies and poorly written characters, any awe inspired by “Alita: Battle Angel” is replaced with a profound sense of confusion.

———

‘ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL’

2 stars

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, because @Deep Wang knows nothing about this stuff right?

8 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sure they do kid

I was talking to Avatree, not Deep Wrong

there is no "feminist" edge to that review, not sure what others are complaining about.

2 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Co-writer James Cameron has embarrassingly described “Alita: Battle Angel” as a metaphor for female puberty

Did he? I remember Salazar mentioning something like this instead.

I don't get why fans of this movie are playing up its domestic chances. Surely it's better to underestimate its potential box office this increasing the likelihood of a pleasant surprise? *

* This applies to all fans of all franchises.

• Like 2

God, Iron Jimbo actuslly used the "Disney Is Trying To Kill This Film?"  theory?

Even if Disney controls the critics the way Jimbo thinks..which is pure tin foil hat conspiracy bullshit...why would they want to damage the film. The take over the rights to the Alita franchise when they take over Fox, so why would they damage a future asset?

• Like 1

It goes to tell you why Spiderman at it's core is one of the more relatable superheroes. As the first thing he does is try to make money from his superpowers. And he's an anomaly in that regard.

I'd argue Alita is fairly relatable. As far as relating to a character with as insane a background and setting as hers could be.

• Like 1

Just now, Hatebox said:

I don't get why fans of this movie are playing up its domestic chances. Surely it's better to underestimate its potential box office this increasing the likelihood of a pleasant surprise? *

* This applies to all fans of all franchises.

No one likes having their fantasies collapse before them.

Look, with the Internationa opening, best case scenario for ALita is a modest profit...given it's 200 Million budget and 400 Million break even point..and that is a long way from being a given.

I think they cannot accept that Cameron could produce a film that is less then a massive hit.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Did he? I remember Salazar mentioning something like this instead.

It's a valid thing to say, it happens in the movie.

(Only in tags because it is very very mild spoiler)

at the start of the film, she has a younger body and acts like a child or very young teenager. later on in the film as she develops as a character and learns more about who she is, she "grows up" emotionally and is given an adult body.

Thanks for that. The review isnt even that negative/controversial.

And as for the current rotten rating... this up and down is killing me :insane:

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

there is no "feminist" edge to that review, not sure what others are complaining about.

I agree, i was commenting on her tweet that went out before the review.

Her tweet might have been pretty darn dumb. But the review itself, even if at times objectionable seems reasonable enough.

7 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

But it’s easy to get frustrated with Alita, especially as she pours her talents into her dopey, good-for-nothing boyfriend.

Wow a 14-year-old who is naive about love. In a world containing a floating city, cyborgs with 6 arms, motorball, and space martians, THIS is what definitely drew me out of the film. 😂

I think your enjoyment of this flick is definitely going to rely on how willing you are to have fun with the world and not take it too seriously. To quote Chris Stuckmann, "This film is unapologetically in your fucking face about being anime". 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

32 Million international is not all that great an opening for a 200 Million film.

I suspect the film will end up being pretty modest in whatever it does:Modest flop (the studio does not break even but does not lose a lot of money) ,straight up breaks even or is a modest success "studio sees a profit but it's still not a good return on a big investment.

One thing is sure to all but the Cameron fanboys:This is not going to be the kind of huge success that Cameron is used to having.

dudlapab, you do understand your first sentence makes it look like you're out of the loop?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Litio said:

Presales indicate $40m+ 5-day. Of course you are not familiar with Fandango, otherwise you weren't saying this bullshit.

Even if Alita makes $40M in 5 days wouldn't be a good number. 

The Wolfman did $35.5M in 4 days 8 years ago... 

Just wondering, for the $25 mil predictions that is being reported by the BO analyzers, is that for the 5-day opening or the 3-day (Fri-Sun) number?

Edited by Rorschach

40 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think they cannot accept that Cameron could produce a film that is less then a massive hit.

Would not be some first (already ahead of Solaris worldwide total):

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Avatar Fox $2,777.2 $749.8 27% $2,027.5 73% 2009
2 Terminator 2: Judgment Day TriS $519.8 $204.8 39.4% $315.0 60.6% 1991
3 True Lies Fox $378.9 $146.3 38.6% $232.6 61.4% 1994
4 Sanctum Uni. $108.6 $23.2 21.4% $85.4 78.6% 2011
5 Point Break Fox $83.5 $43.2 51.7% $40.3 48.3% 1991
6 Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away Par. $34.2 $12.5 36.6% $21.6 63.4% 2012
7 Alita: Battle Angel Fox $32.0 n/a 0% $32.0 100% 2019
8 Solaris Fox $30.0 $15.0 49.9% $15.0 50.1% 2002
9 Ghosts of the Abyss (IMAX & 35mm) BV $22.1 $17.0 77% $5.1 23% 2003
10 Aliens of the Deep (IMAX) BV $12.8 $9.0 70.2% $3.8 29.8% 2005

7 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Even if Alita makes $40M in 5 days wouldn't be a good number. 

The Wolfman did $35.5M in 4 days 8 years ago... 

But is a better one than $25m. Alita should have better legs than Wolfman too.

4 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Just wondering, for the $25 mil predictions that is being reported by the BO analyzers, is that for the 5-day opening or the 3-day (Fri-Sun) number?

5-day

Just now, Litio said:

5-day

giphy.gif

I'm hoping it makes more than that but damn, that would be disastrous af.