Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

That monday drop!

Could you pull up for me those action movies with 30% sun to mon drop on  the pressy weekend they opened?

@lorddemaxus

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Lord dex is scared because our girl lita smased expectations already.

It's certainly doing better than I thought. 

But Christopher Nolan converting to digital is still more likely than it hitting the magic $1 billion mark.

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

But will it reach $ 1 Billie? :Venom:

Edited by raulbalarezo
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That monday drop!

Could you pull up for me those action movies with 30% sun to mon drop on  the pressy weekend they opened?

@lorddemaxus

Black Panther and Percy Jackson had a better drop but that is it. But the multipliers of both movies won't get Alita to 140 mil.

I've seen Alita so I know what I'm saying.:ph34r:

Image result for money throwing gif

Edited by DMan7

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

28x5.. $140m @Deep Wang

That's all?  I thought this was going to increase next weekend?!

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That monday drop!

@lorddemaxus

It's a holiday today, max drop anyways was going to be 50%.  

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

That's all?  I thought this was going to increase next weekend?!

It's a holiday today, max drop anyways was going to be 50%.  

This guy should be charged for verbal assault of Alita fans! Not Cool

@Gavin Feng Is this accurate? Unless this person is referring to international releases only, this doesn't sound right.

Does anyone have a collection of links to articles with Alita's box office predictions (e.g., Deadline, Variety, etc.). Already I'm seeing revisionist historians saying Alita is only "modestly" beating initial tracking/expectations when we know for a fact it's blowing them out of the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vovin said:

@Gavin Feng Is this accurate? Unless this person is referring to international releases only, this doesn't sound right.

At this point, Chinese theaters already arranged 71K screenings for all films on Feb.22 while Alita owns 49K alone. But there will be another 250K screenings on Feb.22 to be given. Alita should finally get 120K or more on opening day. The Wandering Earth may still remain 90K everyday.

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

So, does this change current expectations of ~50m OW (last number i read about)?

Edited by chuck0

19 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Does anyone have a collection of links to articles with Alita's box office predictions (e.g., Deadline, Variety, etc.). Already I'm seeing revisionist historians saying Alita is only "modestly" beating initial tracking/expectations when we know for a fact it's blowing them out of the water.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-happy-death-day-2u-presidents-weekend-box-office-1202555046/

Currently, many are figuring it’s a close call between Alita and Happy Death Day 2U, with each pic’s respective three-day openings ranging between $18M-$22M and $17M-$20M.

(...)

Oy, Alita. Even if the movie hits No. 1, and clears $30M over five days (it’s expected to be under that), many believe this sci-fi female Pinocchio story is unlikely to break even.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

https://deadline.com/2019/02/alita-happy-death-day-2u-presidents-weekend-box-office-1202555046/

Currently, many are figuring it’s a close call between Alita and Happy Death Day 2U, with each pic’s respective three-day openings ranging between $18M-$22M and $17M-$20M.

(...)

Oy, Alita. Even if the movie hits No. 1, and clears $30M over five days (it’s expected to be under that), many believe this sci-fi female Pinocchio story is unlikely to break even.

Thanks. That shows Deadline was off by 50%, even one day before Wednesday previews. Got any articles that go back to a couple weeks before Alita opened? I could swear I saw articles predicting a $40-50M DOM total. 

• Like 2

Fox’s sci-fi adventure “Alita: Battle Angel” has the most to gain, or lose, this weekend. The PG-13 cyberpunk action film is opening on Thursday and should earn $22 million over the weekend and $30 million during its first five days of release.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/box-office-alita-battle-angel-happy-death-day-2u-isnt-it-romantic-1203136308/

At this time we're anticipating a three-day performance around $23 million and a five-day topping $31 million.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4486&p=.htm

Alita: Battle Angel
Opening Weekend Range: $22M+ (5-Day through Monday)

https://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-forecast-happy-death-day-2u-isnt-romantic-alita-battle-angel/

Analysts have told TheWrap they estimate the James Cameron-written/Robert Rodriguez-directed film will have a final domestic total of $45-50 million.

https://www.thewrap.com/alita-battle-angel-fox-final-release-200-million-flop-james-cameron-robert-rodriguez/

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

… to be completely fair, wasn't your range for 3-day opening 30-60M? Technically didn't smash, or meet, those expectations. 

Not hard to "smash" expectations when expectations are practically zero. Now, I'm not trying to detract from the fact that Alita did much better this weekend than it could have, but you aren't being consistent whatsoever. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Found one: https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-isnt-romantic-alita-battle-angel-happy-death-day-2u/

$41M was the long-range tracking prediction for Alita's total DOM. Related reddit discussion: 

It was still tracking to $41M total DOM in January. I know hardly anyone was predicting it to be profitable except Cameron stans :Gaga:

• Like 3

Yeesh, just reading through this thread, it's making me glad I'm taking psychology courses, cause it's sorta letting me see what's going on in here.

Anyone heard of groupthink or group polarization? The former is basically when a group loses touch with reality through discussions with like-minded individuals who hold the same opinions and whose opinions feed off of each other through overconfidence, conformity, and self-justification. Group polarization is basically when a group's attitudes become more and more extreme following discussion with only like-minded individuals (think American politics right now). 

Seriously, this thread is turning off into some praise circle where all of a sudden "a billion is locked" for a movie that is still going to be lucky to break even at the 450-500M barrier. I have no doubt that many of you know how box office works, but it really seems like you're losing touch with the reality of the situation by constantly feeding off of each other's opinions. 

Anywho, time to abandon thread. 

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 2

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Analysts have told TheWrap they estimate the James Cameron-written/Robert Rodriguez-directed film will have a final domestic total of $45-50 million.

Oof. Zoinks. Yowzers. :hahaha:

• Haha 4