Jump to content

Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

… to be completely fair, wasn't your range for 3-day opening 30-60M? Technically didn't smash, or meet, those expectations. 

 

Not hard to "smash" expectations when expectations are practically zero. Now, I'm not trying to detract from the fact that Alita did much better this weekend than it could have, but you aren't being consistent whatsoever. 

IronJimbo wasn't saying it smashed his expectations, it smashed the expectations of almost everyone else. Jim fans have always believed in the movie. :) This is already on the road to profitability if the good news keeps rolling in.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yeesh, just reading through this thread, it's making me glad I'm taking psychology courses, cause it's sorta letting me see what's going on in here.

 

Anyone heard of groupthink or group polarization? The former is basically when a group loses touch with reality through discussions with like-minded individuals who hold the same opinions and whose opinions feed off of each other through overconfidence, conformity, and self-justification. Group polarization is basically when a group's attitudes become more and more extreme following discussion with only like-minded individuals (think American politics right now). 

 

Seriously, this thread is turning off into some praise circle where all of a sudden "a billion is locked" for a movie that is still going to be lucky to break even at the 450-500M barrier. I have no doubt that many of you know how box office works, but it really seems like you're losing touch with the reality of the situation by constantly feeding off of each other's opinions. 

 

Anywho, time to abandon thread. 

Someone is really salty their $41M total DOM prediction didn't pan out.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys remember when the initial RT reviews were rolling in and Alita was between 20-30% and the Jimbo haters were gloating at what a colossal flop this would be? Haha, I remember that too. :hahaha:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Someone is really salty their $41M total DOM prediction didn't pan out.

Dude, I'm happy for this movie. I thought it was decent sci-fi, much better than I was expecting it to be. I already said I'm not trying to poo-poo on the movie, but the talk on here about how much money the movie is making/will make is just getting out of hand. 

 

Funny how you're unable to come up with any sort of valid counterargument to me. All you're able to think of is "you're salty". Very 11-year-old of you. I'm happy for your movie, but while this kind of thinking is totally safe and cool on a box office forum, if people start to get carried away with groupthink in real life, it has really bad consequences. 

 

Also, Avatar making 3B would be sick as hell. Can't wait for a movie to make it past that barrier. Will be a pretty sweet day for box office nerds like myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this. It’s pretty good. Loved the world building and I hope we get a sequel. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yeesh, just reading through this thread, it's making me glad I'm taking psychology courses, cause it's sorta letting me see what's going on in here.

 

Anyone heard of groupthink or group polarization? The former is basically when a group loses touch with reality through discussions with like-minded individuals who hold the same opinions and whose opinions feed off of each other through overconfidence, conformity, and self-justification. Group polarization is basically when a group's attitudes become more and more extreme following discussion with only like-minded individuals (think American politics right now). 

 

Seriously, this thread is turning off into some praise circle where all of a sudden "a billion is locked" for a movie that is still going to be lucky to break even at the 450-500M barrier. I have no doubt that many of you know how box office works, but it really seems like you're losing touch with the reality of the situation by constantly feeding off of each other's opinions. 

 

Anywho, time to abandon thread. 

That's very interesting, it reminds me of fresh college student syndrome, ever heard of it? It's when someone that's studying something suddenly feels the need to position themselves above everyone else by explaining them what he just learned even if it's not really correct, and neither the place nor time appropiate for it.

For instance, you're putting yourself above everyone else by making advanced group psycology based on a bunch of indivuals you don't know, that are on an internet thread full of jokes, taunting, virtual egos and that communicates via text (some times not using their native language). You now why people act more violently while on cars than when walking? Because the lack of human visuals alters the way you behave.

 

Oh no, I'm turning into you! I should go. Time to abandon the internet.


EDIT: I'm glad to see there's still hope for breaking even, it would be such a fresh thing to have an unkown scifi ip not bombing for a change.

Edited by Sesshaku
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved this even more on my 2nd viewing. And so did all my friends that I dragged along with me. I'm gonna be really disappointed if we don't get a sequel 😢

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sesshaku said:

That's very interesting, it reminds me of fresh college student syndrome, ever heard of it? It's when someone that's studying something suddenly feels the need to position themselves above everyone else by explaining them what he just learned even if it's not really correct, and neither the place nor time appropiate for it.

For instance, you're putting yourself above everyone else by making advanced group psycology based on a bunch of indivuals you don't know, that are on an internet thread full of jokes, taunting, virtual egos and that communicates via text (some times not using their native language). You now why people act more violently while on cars than when walking? Because the lack of human visuals alters the way you behave.

 

Oh no, I'm turning into you! I should go. Time to abandon the internet.
 

weird, I google fresh college student syndrome and all I see is this https://www.theodysseyonline.com/college-student-syndrome (feeling tired, stressed, watching Netflix 24/7, doing anything except homework). 

 

And how is this not the place nor time for a comment on how people are perceiving the box office of a movie? Because I'm not here thinking the same way as the rest of you, my comments don't belong here. And I do completely agree with your point about lack of visuals alters the way we behave, I most certainly agree it does.

 

And I'm in no way positioning myself above anyone, I'm just pointing out how delusional a lot of this "billion dollars" talk seems when there is no precedent for how it could possibly come to fruition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dude, I'm happy for this movie. I thought it was decent sci-fi, much better than I was expecting it to be. I already said I'm not trying to poo-poo on the movie, but the talk on here about how much money the movie is making/will make is just getting out of hand. 

Can you point to where it's currently out of hand? We want profitability and a sequel, and Alita is on track for that, something that was unfathomable to most people just a few weeks ago. A few people predicting a billie in jest and maybe one or two serious about it is not really that crazy. Alita is wildly outperforming most expectations and today is showing signs of strong legs, and it hasn't opened in China or Japan yet.

 

EDIT: also remember you're dropping into a thread with nearly 350 pages. It has a fair amount of inside jokes.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Seriously, this thread is turning off into some praise circle where all of a sudden "a billion is locked" for a movie that is still going to be lucky to break even at the 450-500M barrier. I have no doubt that many of you know how box office works, but it really seems like you're losing touch with the reality of the situation by constantly feeding off of each other's opinions. 

 

Anywho, time to abandon thread. 

On 1/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, vovin said:

I'm more optimistic of the film doing well than the typical "box office flop" takes going around the internet, but also not confident enough to say this will be a sure success. Put me somewhere in the middle.

 

I've managed to keep my expectations grounded despite the group think for weeks. #NotAllAlitaFans 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Can you point to where it's currently out of hand? We want profitability and a sequel, and Alita is on track for that, something that was unfathomable to most people just a few weeks ago. A few people predicting a billie in jest and maybe one or two serious about it is not really that crazy. Alita is wildly outperforming most expectations and today is showing signs of strong legs, and it hasn't opened in China or Japan yet.

 

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

1 billie is locked! 

 

Image result for money throwing gif

may be in jest but still

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

Does anyone have a collection of links to articles with Alita's box office predictions (e.g., Deadline, Variety, etc.). Already I'm seeing revisionist historians saying Alita is only "modestly" beating initial tracking/expectations when we know for a fact it's blowing them out of the water.

blowing them out of the water? 30M long weekend prediction, 43M actual. Certainly an overperformance, but it definitely sounds like hyperbole

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

28x5.. $140m @Deep Wang

I'd be happy to eat crow if this happens but predicting a 5x multi for a movie that's generally playing to geek circles, without precedent no less, seems a bit over the top. And no, saying "but Jim will make it happen" is NOT a valid argument. 

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Sorry to break it to you lord dex! But it is

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yeesh, just reading through this thread, it's making me glad I'm taking psychology courses, cause it's sorta letting me see what's going on in here.

 

Anyone heard of groupthink or group polarization? The former is basically when a group loses touch with reality through discussions with like-minded individuals who hold the same opinions and whose opinions feed off of each other through overconfidence, conformity, and self-justification. Group polarization is basically when a group's attitudes become more and more extreme following discussion with only like-minded individuals (think American politics right now). 

 

Seriously, this thread is turning off into some praise circle where all of a sudden "a billion is locked" for a movie that is still going to be lucky to break even at the 450-500M barrier. I have no doubt that many of you know how box office works, but it really seems like you're losing touch with the reality of the situation by constantly feeding off of each other's opinions. 

 

Anywho, time to abandon thread. 

 

Yes, fringe-conspiracy based websites thrive and make their $$$$ this way. Whether it's flat earth or Alex Jones types spinning their ridiculous bullshit there will always be an audience for it and once they bind together they can convince themselves of all sorts of things that would make outsiders question their sanity. 

 

As for Alita, at this point I think the makers and the studio would be very happy if the project can at least break even when all is said and done. Any thoughts of a massive break thru success is a pipe dream, it's over. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vovin said:

 

I've managed to keep my expectations grounded despite the group think for weeks. #NotAllAlitaFans 😉

You're right, I do apologize for generalizing in my previous posts. I'll admit that many of the posts I'm referring to seem to come from a small but loud minority. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Hey guys remember when the initial RT reviews were rolling in and Alita was between 20-30% and the Jimbo haters were gloating at what a colossal flop this would be? Haha, I remember that too. :hahaha:

1 to the 2 from the 2 to the 3, the haters get mad when we make a billie! Smoked so many fools you wouldn't believe, and make more cash than new york wallstreet!

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

1 to the 2 from the 2 to the 3, the haters get mad when we make billie! Smoked so many fools you wouldn't believe, and make more cash than new york wallstreet!

Image result for money throwing gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

may be in jest but still

You're seriously taking DMan7 as an example of Alita fans? :winomg:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

You're seriously taking DMan7 as an example of Alita fans? :winomg:

DMAN7 is the biggest fan here! I heard him mention 10 billies once

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

DMAN7 is the biggest fan here! I heard him mention 10 billies once

That’s nothing, a true fan knows it will leg to at least 5A!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.