Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

10 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I hope Taika Waiti isn’t the one that directs the Alita movie... I’m hoping it’s Villeneuve instead. 

Akira?

• Like 2

The weekend results came in a bit higher than expected. Hey, maybe if this movie has solid legs and does exceptionally well in China, a sequel could perhaps happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Akira?

Whoops yep I meant Akira.

John Campea said that only some people like this movie and that the 93% audience rating is fake and that only CinemaScore can be relied on. What a dope.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

John Campea said that only some people like this movie and that the 93% audience rating is fake and that only CinemaScore can be relied on. What a dope.

The Gunnm subreddit had well under 1k members before the movie came out. There isn't some massive Alita army boosting the score, people genuinely like the movie.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

As if Alita's CinemaScore isn't great too... lol

Who is this Campea person?? Don't tell me, the Shay knows:

this is some kind of a failed puppet, who never managed to do anything by himself in cinema, so he... became a critic!

And this... amoeba dares trash-talk Cameron??

That is why Alita should be big - to kick the teeth out of such tools and shills.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 4

I haven't seen what Campea said specifically about Alita's audience rating but he's always maintained that self-selected rating systems like those on RT are not as reliable as CinemaScore if for no other reason than it being the only rating that is derived from people who have verifiably seen the movie.  That doesn't even get into the issue of campaigns to affect a particular score positively or negatively.

Alita is a movie that happens when you are true to your vision and don't make a movie by committee. I love that kind of filmmaking and it's so rare to see in blockbuster films since Marvel showed how to mass produce them and turn a steady profit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Horner said:

I haven't seen what Campea said specifically about Alita's audience rating but he's always maintained that self-selected rating systems like those on RT are not as reliable as CinemaScore if for no other reason than it being the only rating that is derived from people who have verifiably seen the movie.  That doesn't even get into the issue of campaigns to affect a particular score positively or negatively.

Cinemascore suffers from day-1 selection bias, and also the bias of "just walked out of the theater" bias. My most downvoted Reddit comment ever was saying "TLJ is pretty bad for X Y Z reasons" during opening weekend.

I've found audience scores on RT to be much more accurate than critical consensus, which suffers from more of a Hivemind mentality (a lot of these critics are in the same Discord/Twitter/Facebook groups and share their opinions before writing the review).

That's not to say RT score correlates better with box office, just that it correlates better with whether I'll enjoy a movie. For example, Bright was a lot of fun but critics trashed the hell out of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just watched this (well, like 2 hours ago but I just got home). I quite liked it. The romance is annoying but the film is entertaining enough. I'd love for it to have a sequel, but I'm so reading the manga anyway.

32 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

lot of these critics are in the same Discord/Twitter/Facebook groups and share their opinions before writing the review

Why would critics be on discord, Twitter or Facebook groups? It is more likely the audiences who rate on RT are on those groups (especially discord, why would critics ever form a group on discord? Most probably don't even know what it is). Critics don't use Facebook either as a way to form groups with other critics either. Like I said, there are a dozen or so servers for audiences to talk about the movie on discord, fan groups on Facebook, etc. Critics don't have that.

I mean the people who are brigading Captain Marvel RT audience score are mostly from a few dozen anti-SJW groups. 

44 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

(a lot of these critics are in the same Discord/Twitter/Facebook groups and share their opinions before writing the review).

I heard of Discord for the first time last week and I am really not sure what it is, but source ?

That sound a bit strange, I would have thought lot of these critics love to write it before hearing from anyone else, embargo making it easy.

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

Cinemascore suffers from day-1 selection bias, and also the bias of "just walked out of the theater" bias. My most downvoted Reddit comment ever was saying "TLJ is pretty bad for X Y Z reasons" during opening weekend.

Sure CinemaScore has it's issues as well.  I think he just considers it the least imperfect out of a set of imperfect options.

I don't rely on any of them personally.  They're more scoreboard chatter than anything else in most discussions.

9 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Isn't Campea the guy who swore that Gal Gadot would never be able to carry a Wonder Woman film because she was "just an underwear model" and that Aquaman would never in a million years gross a billion dollars? LOL

Yeah...I would value his opinion as much as I value the opinion of the village idiot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2