Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Yeah, critics definitely got it wrong on this one. Amazing spectacle that felt fresh and surprisingly enjoyable characters and strong performances too. Plot is a bit cliche and I get the "part 1" complaints, but honestly this movie still felt more fresh than the vast majority of blockbusters in recent memory. So those are only small gripes for me. Hope WOM is amazing, really excited to see what they'll do with this franchise. Put it in the hands of a more talented director than Rodriguez and I think this has perfect setup for a sequel to be something really special. 

• Like 3

The only difference between the first Star Wars and Alita is that Lucas put a ceremony for the victory.

Star Wars was a part One, the rebels didn't defeat shit and the movie is pretty clear on that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

The only difference between the first Star Wars and Alita is that Lucas put a ceremony for the victory.

Star Wars was a part One, the rebels didn't defeat shit and the movie is pretty clear on that.

I can think of a whole host of differences between this and ANH. Honestly, Star Wars legit never even came to my mind when watching this, and that's saying something for a sci-fi film. 

If it reminded me of any sci-fi franchise, it was definitely Terminator. I can totally see now why Cameron was attracted to this IP. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can think of a whole host of differences between this and ANH. Honestly, Star Wars legit never even came to my mind when watching this, and that's saying something for a sci-fi film. 

I am just talking about the Part One argument part.

• Like 1

Alita is keeping most of its IMAX 3D screens which is huge. I wanted to see HTTYDHW in IMAX 3D but I'll gladly settle for a RealD showing if it means Alita does more money due to keeping the IMAX screens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The studio forced him apparently, there was no death star in is original script, it was really a Part IV wanting to give it the energy/feel of a tv show in the middle of is run with people asking themselve what happened before, what will happen.

they forced him to call it just Star Wars and to put the end he had of the trilogy at the end of the movie (the Part 4, new hope, etc...appeared later in release when he gained power from the movie success).

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, critics definitely got it wrong on this one.

Nah it is still very cluncky and the ending pacing quite strange, many character (the Connelly one for example) arc not really working, the issue is 6/10 is not considered good enough of a score for something ambitious like that by some, but it is really not bad (at least me if I score something above 5 it is quite a good sign). 

• Like 1

@Barnack

You should see how aggressive at least half of the critics giving negative reviews on this are.

"This is garbage" kind of aggressive, generally speaking. And I'm not talking about "the CGI is terrible" or "Rosa was terrible" plain stupid reviews.

Whatever the source was, plenty of critics were ready to hate this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Edited by vovin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

The studio forced him apparently, there was no death star in is original script, it was really a Part IV wanting to give it the energy/feel of a tv show in the middle of is run with people asking themselve what happened before, what will happen.

they forced him to call it just Star Wars and to put the end he had of the trilogy at the end of the movie (the Part 4, new hope, etc...appeared later in release when he gained power from the movie success).

Nah it is still very cluncky and the ending pacing quite strange, many character (the Connelly one for example) arc not really working, the issue is 6/10 is not considered good enough of a score for something ambitious like that by some, but it is really not bad (at least me if I score something above 5 it is quite a good sign). 

Implying that associating an arbitrary number with the worth of a piece of art is a good practice to begin with. It isnt. In my opinion, a scoring system like that displays a very childish understanding of art. You cannot boil down a movie into a number and emerge with anything meaningful.

Anyhow, Im glad to see the box office for this seems to be doing well so far. Lets see how the legs are.

$95-105 million domestic ?? 

Looks like $48 m for week#1 total - assume 50% drop per week (Dragon/Marvel) 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, critics definitely got it wrong on this one.

critics liked it. Damn they got it wrong, so very wrong.

@Deuce66 I would suggest you take any spoiler related things in to the dedicated Spoiler thread. No need to ruin parts of Alita for people in this thread who have not yet had the pleasure of watching it.

8 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Imagine ending up being a critic. At least cleaners prevent things like disease. (I understand the deep irony of my statement given my own profession - I regard myself as around the level of a critic). 

Really?

Most private sector jobs do not exist for some moral purpose.

Critics are creators / entertainers / informers, if they are succeeding in their job then evidently they create things that enough people find value in.

I say good for them. Same goes for anyone else with a personality-driven job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Nice - poster for China.

4uoj1qkg6rh21.jpg

Love that new poster. The cloud wings are a great touch!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

The studio forced him apparently, there was no death star in is original script,

This is incorrect. The Death Star was present all the way from the rough draft of the script.

In fact the studio originally wanted no Death Star battle because they felt it would be too expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

critics liked it.

It keeps teetering back and forth between rotten and fresh. I'd hardly call that acclaim. 

35 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

This is incorrect. The Death Star was present all the way from the rough draft of the script.

In fact the studio originally wanted no Death Star battle because they felt it would be too expensive.

Was that mostly a myth the:

The completed script was too long for one movie; however, Lucas refused to condense it. Instead, he expanded the first third of it into one movie and left the rest for two future films, effectively creating the original Star Wars trilogy

That the studio pushed for the end of the movie into the first third to an ended film ? Thus why the very strange structure of having the death star destroyed 2 time ?

Lucas could be quite lying.... but apparently the blewing of the death stars was the end of that part of the saga and was put in the first to have an ending and get the movie made.

Edited by Barnack

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Was that mostly a myth the:

The completed script was too long for one movie; however, Lucas refused to condense it. Instead, he expanded the first third of it into one movie and left the rest for two future films, effectively creating the original Star Wars trilogy

It sounds like a myth to me. Everything in the Annotated Screenplays goes nowhere near that. The Death Star battle originated in the rough draft of the script.

Also note that the rough draft and the actual final drafts were immensely different in plot and characters. Vader in the original drafts was a nobody, for example. 

The studio wanted to end the film after Leia was rescued. Lucas and his team fought to get funding for the Death Star attack.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

It sounds like a myth to me. Everything in the Annotated Screenplays goes nowhere near that. The Death Star battle originated in the rough draft of the script.

Also note that the rough draft and the actual final drafts were immensely different in plot and characters. Vader in the original drafts was a nobody, for example. 

The studio wanted to end the film after Leia was rescued. Lucas and his team fought to get funding for the Death Star attack.

Could be outside remembering issue there is an incentive to appear brillant about how planified it was, but Annotated Screenplays were already after quite the feedback loop from studios no ?

And like he said in the video, death star battle was "always" there, but it ended up at the end of the first act because he could not do is actual movie in one go, create a shift toward a trilogy and putting the end of it at the end of act 1. At least that is claim.