Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

56 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It keeps teetering back and forth between rotten and fresh. I'd hardly call that acclaim. 

it's still 59-60% which is a majority positive regardless of "rotten" or "fresh".

No not "critically acclaimed" but please some of the people in this thread talking as if critics were targeting the film and shitting on it, talking out of their aaaaaaaassss.

• Like 1

Ready to be excited guys? Looks like our girl Alita is going to have a nice showing in China. 

From Charlie: 

Final pre sale shall be around ¥30-32mn, mostly will go for ¥110-120mn opening day.

Assuming that initial 7.5 Douban score, Maoyan score shall be around 8.9-9.1.

That shall give it, ¥380-420mn weekend, $56-63mn, similar to that of Bumble Bee. In fact, the best comp IMO at this moment is Bumble Bee and we might see a run close to ¥1 Billion afterall, that would be $145-150mn Approx.

Bumble Bee did ¥1145 mn or $168,269,166.

Edit: Just checked, Alita is leading Bumble Bee in presales by a bit. That's interesting.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

well there we have it, it will outgross pacific rim 2 in china therefore billie is locked.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

well there we have it, it will outgross pacific rim 2 in china therefore billie is locked.

well said

benchmark is the 2nd billie now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

China WOM will be crucial, 9.5+ ratings and billie's back on the menu boys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

China WOM will be crucial, 9.5+ ratings and billie's back on the menu boys.

on maoyan?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

well said

benchmark is the 2nd billie now

Come on, gotta set your sights all the way for that 3 Billy Goats Gruff

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Come on, gotta set your sights all the way for that 3 Billy Goats Gruff

RR limits the film to less than Titanic sorry

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

on maoyan?

Yes or Taopiaopiao; they are usually close, according to China experts.

If it begins at 9.5+ (then it falls a bit, usually), it points to a fantastic run.

We have to hope for a more realistic 9.1+, which would still be great - maybe a Bumblebee type of run $150M+.

Edited by MrGlass2

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Yes or Taopiaopiao (they are usually close, according to China experts).

If it begins at 9.5+, it points to a fantastic run.

We have to hope for a more realistic 9.1+, which would still be great - maybe a Bumblebee type of run $150M+.

didn't rp1 only get 9.0, opened with $60m and went on to make $250m?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Well it isn't a perfect correlation with the box office, in China or anywhere else.

Also it looks RPO got better than that, at first (ratings fall the first few days):

2 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

@Barnack

You should see how aggressive at least half of the critics giving negative reviews on this are.

"This is garbage" kind of aggressive, generally speaking. And I'm not talking about "the CGI is terrible" or "Rosa was terrible" plain stupid reviews.

Whatever the source was, plenty of critics were ready to hate this.

You saw the same thing with Avatar and Titanic. James Cameron movies are held to an entirely different standard by critics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bumblebee had winter holidays and literally no competition in three weeks. Alita will have schooldays and also Captain Marvel on its third week. It will be difficult for it to match Bumblebee unless it gets a 9.3+ on Maoyan.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LeoC said:

Bumblebee had winter holidays and literally no competition in three weeks. Alita will have schooldays and also Captain Marvel on its third week. It will be difficult for it to match Bumblebee unless it gets a 9.3+ on Maoyan.

Which it will - whatever that is - based on the simple fact that Alita is unique, game-changing and extremely enjoyable movie experience - while Bumblebee is just a glorified ordinary kids flick, that the Shay only saw once (TEN times needed for Alita!!)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

RP1 got an amazingly high score on Douban (8.9). Douban is a place for more hardcore movie fans who tend to be hubs and authorities of their own network, and that helps spreading WoM. But Alita gets a 7.5 on Douban, which is pretty much an average score. It will have to rely on Maoyan and Taopiaopiao scores, both of which take into account only the ratings of those who purchase tickets on the respective website (hence, represent more general audience).

Saw this for the second time today. I appreciated it for its film form and anime-style dialogue. I've also come to understand why Keean Johnson's performance has been universally deemed as unsatisfactory.

Hi, I am new to this forum,

I have to say I find all this talk about China and how it will save Alita to be a little funny .  Alita doesn't need China to break even.

Alita is going to have avatar level of success in Japan (150+ million).  This isn't a rosy projection, but an absolute certainty as far as I am concerned (I would take bets on it here if I could).  Not to mean or insulting, but anyone who thinks this is ridiculous probably didn't see Alita's success at US box office coming and doesn't really see what is driving Alita's success.

Alita's success corrolates pretty directly with the size of the anime community in any country.  It isn't surprising at all that Alita did really well in France for example (the biggest anime community in Europe).  As to why Anime community is fueling Alita's box office run, see this video as an example, Love Anime? You NEED to See Alita: Battle Angel

Point is, I have been an anime fan for over 30 years and I have never seen the Dragonball or ghost in the shell hollywood adaptation (and I never will).  I have seen Alita two times so far, and I am twisting the arms of everyone I know to go see the film.  This is what is going to happen in Japan, I guaranty it.  Hollywood anime adaptation have done poorly in Japan so far because they deserved to do poorly.  Alita will do well for the same reason.

Japan alone will be enough for enough for Alita to break even.  Anything that happens in China is profit (there is a pretty big anime community in China, so expect it to do well).

-----------------------

On a side note, I know from reading anime forums that quite a few people are going to be seeing HTTYD3 and captain marvel on an Alita ticket (don't underestimate how much anime fans want this movie to succeed).  So Alita will be canabalizing other movies as long as it is in theaters, and I am pretty sure this dynamic is not built into any box office projections.

Edited by cedec0
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

When Alita Fails, the WhatsApp Cinematic Universe Rises.

Choose Wisely.