Happy Summer Movie Season. Play the summer game.

Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

When Alita Fails, the WhatsApp Cinematic Universe Rises.

Choose Wisely.

I’d much rather watch the General Mills Cinematic Universe myself (I’m not making this up). 

• Thanks 1

Nice bit from the ComingSoon.net interview:

"That was the other thing, this thing couldn’t be a two and a half, three hour movie, because it was a new franchise. Every second she’s in frame is a lot of money. I had to deal with a studio to get it made. It had to be a two hour movie, so I had to get it down. You can’t just be chipping away at that stuff. You have to remove some pillars in order to make that work. I think it kept the spirit of the characters and the movie without removing anything really crucial.
Read more at https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1040751-exclusive-robert-rodriguez-on-those-big-alita-cameos-sequels#dPY9BHVWWiCHFkjz.99"

Makes perfect sense. Personally, I didn't find the film tried to cram too much in, the balance felt good. The only thing I wanted at the end was MORE, NOW. 

Still need to digest it as I just saw it but I'm so happy with what Robert, Jim and Jon accomplished. It just works so well, Rosa is so phenomenal, it's been said, yeah yeah, I noticed her on Parenthood and the combination of her BEING Alita, being so natural, fearless, adorable, naive just as Alita is in the source material and WETA's jaw dropping work is dizzying. I'm not surprised Jon pinned down the chocolate scene as the hardest one visually to pull off, so realistic. Waltz is his usual self, rock solid, strong supporting cast (OH MAN, 

Spoiler

ED FOR FUCK SAKE ! I wish they had a separate scene of him just eating flan :D I get why he didn't in those three short shots of him (um, maybe he could have been eating a flan the very first time we see him, on the video feed or hologram) 

That was so fun. Keean, I'm happy to say, is solid, I don't feel he deserves any of the "hate" he's been getting from some, felt pretty ripped from the page to me, especially the Alita-Hugo/Yugo relationship, didn't feel cheesy, just sweet, innocent, very similar in tone to the manga (maybe that's the problem for some? it's very faithful). It's very faithful to the manga imo, I like the changes Jim and Robert and Laeta (well, she did co-write, yet nobody seems to be talking about her :D I wonder how much of an input she actually had? she did work with Jim before on Fantastic Voyage, did some work on Avatar apparently) made here and there, especially Ido and Chiren. 

The action is excellent, the motorball scene being the highlight obviously, the VFX, as I said, is as phenomenal as expected. The 3D seemed strong, I just kinda forget it's there these days which I always think is a bummer?! laser IMAX 3D is great, it's bright enough, but I wish I'd notice it more, but I guess you want it to feel that way rather than straining. Strong adaptation work too, it moved well, not too fast, not too slow, some campiness here and there inherent to the source material, I have NO idea why the critics who didn't care for the film (or regular people for that matter) criticized the exposition heavy nature of several scenes.

It felt totally organic to me in the sense that Alita is discovering that world and Ido and Hugo explain it to her and to us at the same time, no problem there.

Junkie XL's score is so strong too, great emotional beats in there. The ending is a bit frustrating in a great way and an exciting one. I'm fully confident that this will get a sequel. The reactions from audiences are so strong, there's room for growth, drops should hopefully be good, China should deliver, Japan hopefully, Jim pushes a bit, home video sales deliver and it should happen. That's a lot of elements but I believe it will do all this. This needs a sequel, deserves one ! ALITAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh and Alita is BEAUTIFUL, my god. 

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I liked the romance and I too thought that Keean Johnson did a solid job. He wasn't a scene stealer or anything but he did a solid job. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Alita Final opening day PS ¥31.4mn

Opening day shall be ¥118-125mn IMO. That in dollars is $17.5-18.5mn.

Weekend ¥425mn IMO i.e. $63.25mn.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 2

Although this movie is flawed they did the most important parts of the movie really well. I cared about Alita the whole way through I loved her character and her relationship with Dyson to be moving. The visuals and action scenes are aces. Yes the dialogue is a bit clunky, the romance mostly doesn't work and the ending way too rushed I enjoyed it a lot.  

I thought this movie was a A lit a fun. 😁

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I'm actually quite confident that this movie will do super well in China. I will say $200m+ in China with 90%+ chance. And I'm more worried and curious about the Japanese box office (Hey any tracking or predictions for Japan) and domestic second weekend, which I think are both far more important than China's number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see no reason to worry about domestic, sure, HTTYD3 is gonna do well, might take some dough away along with TLM2 but WOM seems to be really strong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will China save Alita?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alita-battle-angel-box-office-can-china-help-save-film-1188637

The early buzz to emerge from Alita's China premiere on Monday also has been positive. The film currently has a score of 7.5/10 on leading film reviews site Douban, slightly behind The Wandering Earth's score of 7.9/10, but higher than any other Chinese release this year. Alita also has a uncommonly strong "want to see" ranking on Alibaba's powerhouse movie ticketing app Tao Piao Piao.

Maoyan, China's market-leading ticketing app, currently predicts that Alita will open to approximately $13.5 million (90.9 million RMB) on Friday. Fanink's tracking suggests a full opening-weekend total of over $45 million, says Li. 

"Early on, Alita seemed like it was lacking enough promotion," adds Jimmy Wu, chairman of nationwide Chinese cinema chain Lumiere Pavilions. "But people are getting more and more interested in it," he adds.

Having attended the premiere hosted by Cameron, Wu says he's bullish on the film's China prospects. "We're anticipating a lifetime gross of 1.2 billion RMB ($174 million) for China," he says. "I have big hopes for it."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

If it wants to do 174m it's gonna need more than 45m on its opening weekend...

Edited by Elessar

Just now, Elessar said:

If it wants to do 174m it's gonna need more than 45m on its opening weekend...

How did RP1 get such good legs?

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Empty market?

Just now, Elessar said:

Empty market?

I've got no idea don't ask me. I only really followed like 3 movies runs in China

RP1 had Qingming Festival holidays in its second week, which boost its leg. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If I remember correctly it had crazy high  level of rating on some website, probably word of mouth driven. It started really normal for a blockbuster and exploded during it's first weekend.