Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Again, there’s more evidence in favor of an Alita sequel than not. A sequel DOES have a fairly good chance of happening and multiple sources back up the claim that the movie did in fact do well enough sequel talks are feasible. Again, look that up. Everyone saying the movie was a failure (no. It wasn’t) and that there’s no chance of a sequel really are jumping the gun a bit lol.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SeekersLegacy said:

Again, there’s more evidence in favor of an Alita sequel than not. A sequel DOES have a fairly good chance of happening and multiple sources back up the claim that the movie did in fact do well enough sequel talks are feasible. Again, look that up. Everyone saying the movie was a failure (no. It wasn’t) and that there’s no chance of a sequel really are jumping the gun a bit lol.

Please provide said "evidence in favor of a sequel" and the "multiple sources back up the claim that the movie did in fact do well enough". I've tried looking it up frequently and can't find said assurances of Alita's promising future.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

If an Alita sequel does happen, it will be for a lot less money then the first.Cameron is not an idiot, nor is he so totally unconcerned about the business side of the film industry as his fanboys seem to think.

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Let's break it down using standards...ALITA - Production costs $170 million + Publicity & Marketing estimate $100 million per Hollywood Reporter

Domestic: $85,710,210 x 50% = $42,855,105

China: $133,397,094 x 25% = $33,349,274

Foreign: $185,745,239 x 42% = $78,013,000

Total: $154,217,379 or 90.7% of production budget recovered from Box office alone

there is no guarantee of Alita climbing out of the red and into the black, they still have a considerable hole to climb out of 

X-Men First Class (2011) - Production budget $160 million - BO $353.6 million w/w

Domestic: $146,408,305 x 50% = $73,204,152 

China: $0.00

Foreign: $207,215,819 x 42% = $87,030,644

Total: $160,234,796 or 100.1% of production budget recovered from Box office alone 

X-Men Apocalypse (2016) - Production cost $178 million - BO $543.9 million w/w 

Domestic: $155,442,489 x 50% = $77,721,245

China: $120,765,095 x 25% = $30,191,274

Foreign: $267,727,203 x 42% = $112,445,425

Total: $220,357,944 or 123.8% of production budget recovered from Box office alone

I'm just quoting this fantastic financial breakdown so it doesn't get lost and die at the bottom of the prior page. Good info for SeekersLegacy

• Not Cool 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

If an Alita sequel does happen, it will be for a lot less money then the first.Cameron is not an idiot, nor is he so totally unconcerned about the business side of the film industry as his fanboys seem to think.

Noo? Sequel will be "much cheaper", as the Shay just said, simply because the heavy lifting concerning design, environments, revolutionary mo-cap and many other things have already been done for the 2019 Alita.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

If you’re referring to me as one of his fan boys then that’s hilarious because no. I’m not a James Cameron super fan by any means.

22 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Noo? Sequel will be "much cheaper", as the Shay just said, simply because the heavy lifting concerning design, environments, revolutionary mo-cap and many other things have already been done for the 2019 Alita.

And as we all know, good sequels do the exact same thing as the first film, introduces no new characters, settings, or concepts. All the best, most successful sequels just copy-and-paste assets from the first because it’s cheap.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 2

So we're in the bargaining stage?

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 2

Posted (edited)

It's a tired conversation. Saying a sequel is guaranteed or impossible just doesn't make sense in either direction.

The movie did well enough to where it'll likely just come down to how much does James want a sequel to happen. Where it up to someone else it'd be a far less likely prospect.

Personally I'd say it's pretty likely he will push hard for it. But if you think a lesser budget would work because of asset recycling chances are you're mistaken. The story gets grander from now on, they have to build assets for Zalem, and assets and animation for new complex character designs. If the budget becomes lower it will be very noticeable in the end result.

I think the biggest hurdle JC faces to pitch a sequel is that it would likely end in a much bigger cliff hanger, otherwise the ending would suck. And pitching a trilogy from just a "meh" performance? Now THAT is rough.

Edited by WhiteWings
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

It's a tired conversation. Saying a sequel is guaranteed or impossible just doesn't make sense in either direction.

The movie did well enough to where it'll likely just come down to how much does James want a sequel to happen. Where it up to someone else it'd be a far less likely prospect.

Personally I'd say it's pretty likely he will push hard for it. But if you think a lesser budget would work because of asset recycling chances are you're mistaken. The story gets grander from now on, they have to build assets for Zalem, and assets and animation for new complex character designs. If the budget becomes lower it will be very noticeable in the end result.

I think the biggest hurdle JC faces to pitch a sequel is that it would likely end in a much bigger cliff hanger, otherwise the ending would suck. And pitching a trilogy from just a "meh" performance? Now THAT is rough.

Zalem wouldn't be in the sequel!

• Like 1

Nah, I think that DP would have bombed no matter when it was released.

Avatar Cameo for the ultimate Disney princesses shodown ?

Fight !

Posted (edited)

So I spent two nights reading from page 100 of this thread to the end. Sufficient to say that this thread has an extremely high entertainment value. From Shay's nonsense, the multiple 1B predictions to the shitting on the director and the fantasy of some posters about an underage girl who was actually some hundred year-old just to get away legally (which is gross btw).

The real fun started around page 290 when the film was being released which the rotten tomatoes review before it was the appetizer. I recommended to read the whole thread. Highly entertaining. Thank you very much.

Edited by Heroicpiglet
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Zalem wouldn't be in the sequel!

It depends on how they structure the story. Considering where Nova is currently located, it'd be weird for Alita not to go up there to meet him.

Plus a lot of the criticism towards this first installment was on how we didn't get to see Zalem and get a grip on how much "better" life is supposed to be, compared to Iron City. So it'd be weird not to show anything at all.

R.R. also talked about how they couldn't do Zalem for this movie, since it'd be too expensive for the little they'd be showing of it. So they did want to show it, at least.

On a budget though, they could get away with just showing Zalem interiors. But if they want to show the outside it should look like a spacious futuristic Utopia.

Edited by WhiteWings

On 2/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, Pure Spirit said:

Who else gettin' that magic Cameron tingle? Just booked my IMAX 3D showing for Friday, already half sold out. The OST so good.

Haters and doubters bout to get BTFO when this movie has legs like a champion.

VxhO8fz.png

lmao @ me

I'll chalk this up to its huge opening weekend. :sparta:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

Nah, I think that DP would have bombed no matter when it was released.

If Fox hadn't cut the two film plan to one 2 months before principal photography, I think things would have been VERY different. I think THR is wrong though on this one, someone who's been leaking a ton of info on the behind the scenes on Superherohype says that Kinberg asked for the June push to have the time needed in post, which makes sense with the reshoots being done in October. Kinberg begging Watts to keep DP in February makes no sense. 

4 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

So I spent two nights reading from page 100 of this thread to the end. Sufficient to say that this thread has an extremely high entertainment value. From Shay's nonsense, the multiple 1B predictions to the shitting on the director and the fantasy of some posters about an underage girl who was actually some hundred year-old just to get away legally (which is gross btw).

The real fun started around page 290 when the film was being released which the rotten tomatoes review before it was the appetizer. I recommended to read the whole thread. Highly entertaining. Thank you very much.

@IronJimbo fuming at the critics was the best!

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

@IronJimbo fuming at the critics was the best!

Bought and paid for bootlickers

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

The fuck??!!

Everything the Shay said about this movie in advance was true!

So you better learn, young piggie.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1