Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Bought and paid for bootlickers

Alita may yet be used as an historical milestone to illustrate the increasing gulf between audience and critic opinion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

The fuck??!!

Everything the Shay said about this movie in advance was true!

So you better learn, young piggie.

I'm looking for more of your gems in the future. Peace.

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Alita may yet be used as an historical milestone to illustrate the increasing gulf between audience and critic opinion. 

I think The Greatest Showman is a better example, it had a soundtrack that sold millions and actually had the legs to back up the audience side fo things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think The Greatest Showman is a better example, it had a soundtrack that sold millions and actually had the legs to back up the audience side fo things.

Gimme Venom for a reviled critics film that the audience liked. 

Alita was treated as decent by the critics and loved by the few who saw it outside of China.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

Plus a lot of the criticism towards this first installment was on how we didn't get to see Zalem and get a grip on how much "better" life is supposed to be, compared to Iron City. So it'd be weird not to show anything at all.

My god, what a bunch of idiots!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Greatest showman is probably the best example. Titanic-tier legs but didn’t even get “fresh”. What I would give for a single Ebert-tier critic over these glorified blogger clowns RT stamps as “critics”—I.e., does the movie accomplish what it’s trying to be? 

• Like 2

Some of the critics on RT have confessed they only see superhero movies or tentpole blockbusters they’ve been invited to.

:gold:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I take it back.

Alita has an even more remarkable critic/audience divide than The Greatest Showman.

Greatest showman:

ltyRk2M.png

Alita (highest rated user score for a movie by a significant margin*):

8fMQHPe.png

Yeah these aren't verified, blah blah CinemaScore, box office legs, but still. Wow. Alita has passionate fans. Second place is John Wick with 8.1.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Posted (edited)

WE RULE!!

Zalem WILL fall! And with it - the ones who tried to keep us down!

I am pretty sure if Alita's sequel is put on Kickstarter, 100m will be pledged in no time - by the millions of loyal fans. How many other movies can do that??

Answer: none! Alita is unique in every way. You ain't seen shit yet. We are just getting started.

Go back in this magnificent 450 pages thread, as Piglet is suggesting, and you will be amazed by the shortsighted ultra-prejudiced HATE many of you have voiced. It's even worse than with Aladdin. All this is proven wrong now. As will be the current "flop" and "no sequel" attacks.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

They're about the same in terms of reception disparity. But TGS does make a better example since it turned into quite a success like @Deep Wang says.  In that sense Venom also makes a better example.

Can we finally agree this disparity has clearly been growing, at least? We just had Aladdin and Godzilla, and now I'm waiting to see what happens with MIB International.

For Alita it just prevented it from utterly imploding like the prophets had it pinned to do. (let's exclude the few Cameronites and optimistic fellas like myself, whom have no media influence, from this).

Edited by WhiteWings

3 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

They're about the same in terms of reception disparity. But TGS does make a better example since it turned into quite a success like @Deep Wang says.  In that sense Venom also makes a better example.

Can we finally agree this disparity has clearly been growing, at least? We just had Aladdin and Godzilla, and now I'm waiting to see what happens with MIB International.

For Alita it just prevented it from utterly imploding like the prophets had it pinned to do. (let's exclude the few Cameronites and optimistic fellas like myself, whom have no media influence, from this).

Many of us have been talking about the growing divide for years. TLJ exposed it like an open sore. It’s as if film critics are becoming a more homogenous and insular community, with aggregator sites encouraging this (who wants to be the first person to stop clapping for Toy Story 4?).

I think RT’s verified reviews are a step in the right direction, and it’ll cut both ways. “Trolls” can’t tank a movie like [insert movie] but no longer can trolls be used as a convenient excuse to explain the score.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Many of us have been talking about the growing divide for years. TLJ exposed it like an open sore. It’s as if film critics are becoming a more homogenous and insular community, with aggregator sites encouraging this (who wants to be the first person to stop clapping for Toy Story 4?).

Yeah, f*cking sheep and collaborationists!

You know what? The Shay should have a cine-blog and become an RT critic!

I'll make Armond White look conventional to you, lol!!

I'll give Toy Story 4 **/*** (2 out of 5) before I have even seen it - and explain why with my usual anti-Pixar language - no matter how much Disney pay me!!

Think people would like to read that.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, f*cking sheep and collaborationists!

You know what? The Shay should have a cine-blog and become an RT critic!

I'll make Armond White look conventional to you, lol!!

I'll give Toy Story 4 **/*** (2 out of 5) before I have even seen it - and explain why with my usual anti-Pixar language - no matter how much Disney pay me!!

Think people would like to read that.

Do it. 

• Thanks 1

So the only question is... if we are going to see Alita 2 - or Aladdin 2 first? :)

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

So the only question is... if we are going to see Alita 2 - or Aladdin 2 first? :)

Well given how they were produced for near-identical budgets, and one of them is going to gross 2x worldwide and at least 3x domestic of the other...

If one of these two were to get a sequel, it's not a question of which it would be. And yet, the answer is neither.

Putting those two films in the same sentence alone is a sick joke.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Well given how they were produced for near-identical budgets, and one of them is going to gross 2x worldwide and at least 3x domestic of the other...

If one of these two were to get a sequel, it's not a question of which it would be. And yet, the answer is neither.

Putting those two films in the same sentence alone is a sick joke.

No, the sick joke is those two movies were the only really good movies this year. That is why they will get a sequel.

Everything else was mostly worthless sequels, and most of them flopped deservedly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A-and this is how the new age for this glorious thread starts:

FkvxX60.jpg

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

The Shay been seeing a lot of online reactions recently - which obviously means Alita has been released in HD on pirate sites, so finally the lower classes can catch up and watch it.

So who's gonna be sharing the info on how the legal version is doing on the Home market??

5 hours ago, shayhiri said:

The Shay been seeing a lot of online reactions recently - which obviously means Alita has been released in HD on pirate sites, so finally the lower classes can catch up and watch it.

So who's gonna be sharing the info on how the legal version is doing on the Home market??

The lower classes?

3 hours ago, Dbui8743 said:

The lower classes?

Of people. The ones who watch pirated movies at home instead of going to the theatre. Like the people in Iron City, the scrapyard of Zalem.