Jump to content
Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Finally saw it, has spectacular special effects and some great action scenes.

 

Seven times on the biggest cinema screens (IMAX and such) - it was breathtaking!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, langer said:

What's the problem with cookie cutter storytelling?  Biggest movie of all time is cookie cutter and I see no problem with that.  

Gotta say, that's a well timed burn.

 

On topic, the content of the article doesn't seem all that bad. But it's still miss informed, and that click bait title is in terrible taste.

Considering those alt right pricks latched onto the movie for what felt like a week ( it sure took them long enough to realize the movie clashed with their beliefs ), and yet they're still topical, I find it hard to say they weren't, and aren't, still damaging the IP.

At this point, the people forcefully keeping that narrative alive are the bigger problem, but whatever. I can agree with Shay on this: good art prevails.

 

Too bad sequels with the same cast don't have the luxury of time. 😒 ( cough, Hellboy 3)

Edited by WhiteWings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free advertising is always good.

 

i23xajvduaa31.png

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rewatched Alita and Avatar back to back yesterday.  Definitely understand why Avatar made 2,,8B and Alita made as much as it did.  Alita doesn't have anything on Neytiri.  Avatar was a masterpiece on character development which is sadly lacking with Alita's protagonists.  On the other hand,  I have a hard time cheering for a cyborg that is apparently super good at everything without any training or minimal flashback explanations (in line with poor character development)  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, langer said:

Rewatched Alita and Avatar back to back yesterday.  Definitely understand why Avatar made 2,,8B and Alita made as much as it did.  Alita doesn't have anything on Neytiri.  Avatar was a masterpiece on character development which is sadly lacking with Alita's protagonists.  On the other hand,  I have a hard time cheering for a cyborg that is apparently super good at everything without any training or minimal flashback explanations (in line with poor character development)  

A lot of people are definitely due for a re-visit of Avatar. On one hand, I sort of get the hate. On the other, I think a lot people don't realize grand-scale spectacle is rarely done this well. I appreciate Avatar much more now than when I saw it in theaters.

 

As for Alita, well it's certainly not worst than Rey (not sure what are your thoughts on that considering your Star Wars avatar). They might not go into details, but the explanation is clearly there. I think the Bourne Identity type shit kinda works where her training instinctively comes back to her as she encounters danger.

 

Of course, the movie is a hacked down version of what Cameron had in mind. I love Rob Rodriguez but they probably couldn't trust him with a $250 million 3 hour epic. What they gave him was still quite something considering his 2 last movies were pretty much bombs (I still want to see Machete Kills in Space though). So yeah the character development definitely suffered a bit, but the movie had still enough engaging set pieces that I'm definitely rooting for a sequel. Give me that a million times over another Venom or Aquaman (or dare I say,  Captain Marvel) which we're all getting for sure.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Alita is definitely building a solid cult following. If even Landau is starting to notice, you can be damn sure Cameron is aware. Who knows what can happen if it does really well in digital / blu-ray. The will is definitely there to continue the story

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexdube said:

 

As for Alita, well it's certainly not worst than Rey (not sure what are your thoughts on that considering your Star Wars avatar). They might not go into details, but the explanation is clearly there. I think the Bourne Identity type shit kinda works where her training instinctively comes back to her as she encounters danger.

 

I personally relate more to a human than a cyborg.  I did not really enjoyed Alita's development from total naive girl to kick ass within the span of a few scenes.  I know some people have no problem with that, but it just doesn't interests me.  Rodriguez should have focused more on Alita and removed some of the forgettable background characters.  I understand they left a lot of Alita's background story for a possible sequel, but in the end it not only hurt the movie, but also its prospect for a sequel.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone can have a different opinion but...

*Inhales deeply*

Being a child cyber soldier, losing your memory and left to rot, rebuilt by someone you end up calling your father by the end, waking up as a naive child, learning a sport, falling in love, recalling some of your previous memories and abilities through multiple life threatening situations, becoming a bounty hunter,  wrecking basically all other hunters and then getting wrecked herself, literally; changing into a new body, getting a boyfriend, trying out for professional sports, finding out your boyfriend was king of a prick, forgiving and saving him, avenging him, yet ultimately failing to save him for good. All this while becoming more mentally mature and warrior-like each step of the way, and figuring out what her place in this world might be. From insignificant girl to potential liberator.

 

Character development is what this has in spades. I wish I had 1/10 of hers in my entire life, I barely friggin changed (still a brat).

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 6:38 AM, langer said:

I personally relate more to a human than a cyborg.  I did not really enjoyed Alita's development from total naive girl to kick ass within the span of a few scenes.  I know some people have no problem with that, but it just doesn't interests me.  Rodriguez should have focused more on Alita and removed some of the forgettable background characters.  I understand they left a lot of Alita's background story for a possible sequel, but in the end it not only hurt the movie, but also its prospect for a sequel.   

Iirc her transformation happens so quickly from the situation unlocking her past combat training and then her instincts take over. As you said, she is a cyborg not a human, so you shouldn't judge her by the same standards as you would a naive girl in a standard drama. She is a unique individual in extreme situation.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alita needs to be just as popular as the invasion of Area 51!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a great clip (Blu ray extra) explaining The Fall and Alita's origins. This alone would make for a great prequel. 

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, Klingo said:

Alita needs to be just as popular as the invasion of Area 51!

 

Alita needs to be IN the invasion of Area 51!

 

Then they would actually stand a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's so much right here but the romance is a complete nonstarter. Would've jettisoned all of it. It's worse than Divergent. Actually, would've gotten rid of the guy and all his friends. Most everything else is pretty great. I'll say everything has a bit too much of sheen clean look of Rodriguez green screen flicks in the squalor too. Made it hard to buy it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the home release is selling very well.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Looks like the home release is selling very well.

 

I'd kill for the actual info/data...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Looks like the home release is selling very well.

Of course JSC and his alts are having each one a copy. This will boost the sales a lot.

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

doesn't sound like someone who has given up on the IP:

 

 

also Elon Musk approved: 

 

 

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhhh seeing that tweet makes me wish to leave the Alita Army. Is that who I'm associated with if I loved Alita? 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Uhhh seeing that tweet makes me wish to leave the Alita Army. Is that who I'm associated with if I loved Alita? 😕 

lol really? Never was a fan of Elon to be honest, but having a billionaire with 27 million followers approve of the movie can't be a negative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.