Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

5 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Holy shit I remember watching the first episode out of curiosity thinking he had directed it, but it was actually the last one. I wasn't seeing Cameron at all in that episode and I couldn't believe he had directed it. I just watched the last one and now I see it, that looks like something he directed, much tighter than the other episode I watched (also the highest rated episode of both seasons on imdb), but probably his weakest effort as a director (not counting Piranha). Cameron is only Cameron when he does everything and  takes his time to apply his perfectionism everywhere, a last-ditch effort to save a TV show ain't it.

The show did have a pretty successful first season though,  so it's not like his first foray into television was a complete failure either.

The first season was very solid.  The second season did go off the rails with the breeding cult and monsters of the week.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:26 AM, Barnack said:

1) About no movie of that budget make their money back from their theatrical run (Venom maybe some others but it is really really rare)

Imagine the movie would have made $412.5M instead, 50% more everywhere.

1.5*58.2*.53+1.5*(216.4-78.5)*.4+1.5*78.5*.25 = 158.45

94M budget, 100M worldwide P&A, 11M overhead, 14-15M in participation you are a bit above 200M spent.

2) We do not know how movies are doing on home release, we have so little clue, some weekly ranking, some physical sales gross estimates but they are becoming a smaller part of the HE spending (once you consider how high EST margin are from the studio point of view), take that graph from a grain of salt I feel the SVOD figure do not distinguish what part of the streaming spending is on movies in particular

chartoftheday_7654_home_entertainment_sp

3) I doubt we have much clue if people are asking for a sequel or not (not sure how much of a pulse on Chinese audience we have for an obvious example and how vocal a fanbase is or isn't).

Streaming really is the new final boss huh

1 minute ago, Panda said:

I really think that it is for the complete streaming business has they have no way to split for movies and tv production too, but for the first time in Liongates history in their last annual report digital media made more than packaged media for the movie Home ent division and the progression was really fast.

2019 2018 2017
Digital Media 334.7 373.7 303.9
Packaged Media 257.5 400.3 403.8
Total: 592.2 774 707.7
In %      
Digital Media 57% 48% 43%
Packaged Media 43% 52% 57%

I do not know of other studio financial report that offer that breakdown but would not surprise me if that was becoming true across the board

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:28 PM, DeeCee said:

Cameron’s last fictional directorial effort before Avatar was the final episode of Dark Angel. 

He basically directed the episode to give Fox extra incentive to renew it for season 3. 

Fox cancelled it. 

Which showed that Cameron did not know how TV works.

If a show has low ratings all season, you are not going to save it no matter what you do for the final episode.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, Alexdube said:

define "hit"

Tomb Raider made a good profit for the studio, Alita did not. TR was a good return on investment, Alita was not. Pretty simple.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 3

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Why do you think just about every major studio is rushing to get it's own streaming service started?

Bottom line is the studios think that the middle man..Netflix, etc...is getting all the profits, and they want those profits for themselves, and spending what it takes to set up your own streaming service will pay off in the end.

It was getting the Fox Library and other Fox assets for Disney + that was the main motivation for the Disney/Fox deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Tomb Raider made a good profit for the studio, Alita did not. TR was a good return on investment, Alita was not. Pretty simple.

Define "good profit". You got a financial breakdown with marketing costs and all?

It's so good that just some months after the Endgame (of the MCU) all the Avengers threads are gone and forgotten.

While THIS thread here endured.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

It's so good that just some months after the Endgame (of the MCU) all the Avengers threads are gone and forgotten.

MCU movies are usually forgotten after the first week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

I was honestly thinking the same thing...though I have nothing against Endgame, but I bet this topic will be active in 2020 #AlitaHerPower

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

Great logic guys! This thread is only kept alive by Cameron super fans. That doesn't mean Alita is somehow ultra relevant.

@Napoleon say what you want about MCU films but none of them were as brutally rejected as BvS was. That 1.99x multi still cracks me up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The only other reason I can think of that this may be the case is because it's the case with the most recent Marvel movie,  Avengers: Age of Ultron .  The trailers do a good job of giving away a lot of information which would explain why audiences in other movie theaters still haven't seen this film and yet it's made almost as much as the first Iron Man. Now, while these are not the most important reasons for a movie being forgotten, they're certainly interesting ones and are worth exploring.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:31 PM, Napoleon said:

Just like clockwork.

Another over the top, stupid "I HATE MARVEL" statement from Napoleon.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, JB33 said:

Great logic guys! This thread is only kept alive by Cameron super fans. That doesn't mean Alita is somehow ultra relevant.

@Napoleon say what you want about MCU films but none of them were as brutally rejected as BvS was. That 1.99x multi still cracks me up.

You evil blasphemer! HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE THE GREAT GOD SNYDER!

And ,from a pure business viewpoint every studio head would probably kill  for a "forgettable franchise" like Marvel has become for Disney.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:32 PM, Morieris said:

I was honestly thinking the same thing...though I have nothing against Endgame, but I bet this topic will be active in 2020 #AlitaHerPower

Never underestimate the power of a couple of fanboys to keep a thread alive.

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Thanks, but we really couldn't have done it without you - the dogged haters! :)

We really owe it to you, guys. Page 500 - INCOMING! (as foretold by the Shay)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

you're legit one of the most active poster in this thread

• Haha 4

On 9/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, shayhiri said:

A - a few rabid Cameron fans keeping this bumped does not equate Alita as being relevant. 🤣

B - Marvel fans have 4-5 other threads to discuss actual next projects. Not keep waiting 10yrs for 1 sequel.

• Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 2

Alita still lives in our hearts!!

She will take her time - for a cyborg lives a long life - but she will find her way back to Zalem...

and then God save those in her way.