Jump to content
Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

Recommended Posts

Ir NEVER looked good for an Alita sequel to anybody who was not looking at the world through rose colored fan glasses.

If you liked Alita, fine. but nothing is ever gained by ignoring reality. Reality was the box office performance of Alita was not enough to justify the expense of a sequel. I think that was clear to most people who looked at this halfway objectively.

 

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame, this was one of the better SiFi originals of recent years.

 

Where's IronJimbo BTW? haven't seen him around for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting article to share:

 

https://deadline.com/2019/11/terminator-dark-fate-linda-hamilton-harriet-motherless-brooklyn-weekend-box-office-1202774477/

 

"Also, as we pointed out with Alita (some debate that movie broke even while other finance sources contend lost $53M off a $404.8M global B.O. and $170M production pricetag), just because a movie is produced by Cameron means absolutely nothing."

  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This movie isn't getting a sequel. It wasn't profitable. 

 

Let's move on FFS

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow White & The Huntsman cost the same as Alita and didn't even reach $400 million yet it was profitable enough for Universal to make a sequel. Alita may not have been profitable during its theatrical run but there's home video sales, there's streaming and television rights. The problem is Disney bought Fox and Disney doesn't need more franchises. If Fox was still independent I'm sure it would make sense for them to move forward with this franchise, especially considering how audiences loved it.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Snow White & The Huntsman cost the same as Alita and didn't even reach $400 million yet it was profitable enough for Universal to make a sequel. Alita may not have been profitable during its theatrical run but there's home video sales, there's streaming and television rights. The problem is Disney bought Fox and Disney doesn't need more franchises. If Fox was still independent I'm sure it would make sense for them to move forward with this franchise, especially considering how audiences loved it.

That Huntsman sequel was ill-advised and bombed. Like the Pacific Rim sequel. Like a potential Alita sequel. It’s the law of diminishing returns.

 

Anyway, looks like Mr. James “King of the World” Cameron is responsible for two write-downs this year. Tough break. Maybe he’ll rebound....

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Snow White & The Huntsman cost the same as Alita and didn't even reach $400 million yet it was profitable enough for Universal to make a sequel. Alita may not have been profitable during its theatrical run but there's home video sales, there's streaming and television rights. The problem is Disney bought Fox and Disney doesn't need more franchises. If Fox was still independent I'm sure it would make sense for them to move forward with this franchise, especially considering how audiences loved it.

 

Snow White had a far better box office mix (no China and $155.3 million domestic) box office return exceeded production budget by about 5%, Alita's mix included $133.3 million from China and $85.7 million domestic, the box office run did not cover its production budget. At least up to this level Snow White was in a much better position financially. 

 

Alita domestic ranking for 2019 is 25th - Foreign is 14th. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, OncomingStorm93 said:

That Huntsman sequel was ill-advised and bombed. Like the Pacific Rim sequel. Like a potential Alita sequel. It’s the law of diminishing returns.

 

Anyway, looks like Mr. James “King of the World” Cameron is responsible for two write-downs this year. Tough break. Maybe he’ll rebound....

Cameron as a director is box office gold;Cameron as a producer without his directing;not so much.

 

You beat me to it on pointing out that films Napoleon cited were box office failures, and were, in fact, an argument against doing a sequel.

Notice how most "borderline" sequels fail at the box office? I think the feeling is going to be from now on that if you have to have along debate about the box office viability of a sequel it's probably best to pull the plug. The odds are not good.

I love the "Audeinces loved it" argument. Maybe, but the audience was not big enough to make a sequel a good idea....

I really think Napoleon really has no idea of how the film business operates. or rather, he is so blinded by his fanboyism that fails to see facts that don't fit in with it.

Edited by dudalb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, hahaha, well - there is а new porn star, called Alita Angel :)

 

And she looks like it.

 

Thank me later. This thread just keeps giving.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Guys, hahaha, well - there is new porn star, called Alita Angel :)

 

And she looks like it.

 

Thank me later. This thread just keeps giving.

Damnnnn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get the porn treatment you know you have made it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what? I'm glad this thread is still alive. Let it serve as a continuous reminder to all that this franchise is dead in the water. Let it serve as a warning to producers and executives who throw $200m budgets around willy nilly. Let it serve as a reminder of the bad decisions that caused 20th Century Fox to sell to Disney.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, let them invest big only in surefire things, let's kill any and all risk taking.

 

Notwithstanding that being all smartass after the fact is easy, when we the consumers start to act more risk averse than even studio heads we have only ourselves to blame for the situation blockbuster filmmaking is in at the moment.

 

Alita Battle Angel was a good movie that just couldn't find the audience it deserved because people were too busy saving up cash to spend it on the next superhero or cartoon, even though they were given a great hero in Alita (and she's all animated lol).

 

All imho of course.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Let it serve as a reminder of the bad decisions that caused 20th Century Fox to sell to Disney.

Murdoch's scheme had nothing do with Alita, or the "bad decisions" at FOX in general.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

You know what? I'm glad this thread is still alive. Let it serve as a continuous reminder to all that this franchise is dead in the water. Let it serve as a warning to producers and executives who throw $200m budgets around willy nilly. Let it serve as a reminder of the bad decisions that caused 20th Century Fox to sell to Disney.

Rupert Murdoch didn’t sell 20th Century Fox to Disney because the company was going under. He sold it because he no longer wanted to compete in the entertainment industry. The deal was already about to be finalized when this movie was released. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elessar said:

Yes, let them invest big only in surefire things, let's kill any and all risk taking.

 

Notwithstanding that being all smartass after the fact is easy, when we the consumers start to act more risk averse than even studio heads we have only ourselves to blame for the situation blockbuster filmmaking is in at the moment.

 

Alita Battle Angel was a good movie that just couldn't find the audience it deserved because people were too busy saving up cash to spend it on the next superhero or cartoon, even though they were given a great hero in Alita (and she's all animated lol).

 

All imho of course.

Alita being a good movie (or not being one) and whether it found the audience it "deserved" (or not) has nothing to do with it's $200m budget. Clearly, the proper cost-benefit analysis was not done. As with Blade Runner 2049. As with Mortal Engines. As with John Carter. As with Terminator Dark Fate.

 

These high concept Sci-Fi blockbusters, often with a futuristic angle, are being given bloated budgets time and time again, and continue to fail at the box office. Has nothing to do with the quality of Alita or it's potential audience. It's a systemic misuse of funds.

 

If I can see this trend, any reasonable studio executive should be able to. Throwing money at the screen is not enough to earn an audience.

 

Alita would have been a financial success (the only kind that matters in this business) if it was in the $125m range. Cut some of the superfluous CGI set pieces and develop the characters more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

These high concept Sci-Fi blockbusters, often with a futuristic angle

Wasn't Avatar was there in the same vein

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, Immortal said:

Wasn't Avatar was there in the same vein

Original property vs adaptation/rehash.

 

And one success doesn’t excuse half a dozen failures. It just further highlights those failures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Original property vs adaptation/rehash.

 

And one success doesn’t excuse half a dozen failures. It just further highlights those failures.

Does it change anything? The Wachowskis tried with Cloud Atlas (adaptation) and Jupiter Ascending (original) and both bombed equally as hard. Those sci-fi movies that are based on existing IPs generally aren't even well known enough by the GA for it to matter at the box office. Alita was based on a existing IP but it's niche enough that it probably made 0 difference at the box office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.