Neo

Alita: Battle Angel | Feb 14 2019 | Fox | Robert Rodriguez to direct. Rosa Salazar to play the lead. | Embargo Lifted. Reviews Pg 211

5 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Does it change anything? The Wachowskis tried with Cloud Atlas (adaptation) and Jupiter Ascending (original) and both bombed equally as hard. Those sci-fi movies that are based on existing IPs generally aren't even well known enough by the GA for it to matter at the box office. Alita was based on a existing IP but it's niche enough that it probably made 0 difference at the box office.

Thank you for two more examples of "high concept Sci-Fi blockbusters, often with a futuristic angle, are being given bloated budgets time and time again, and continue to fail at the box office."

• Not Cool 2

21 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Thank you for two more examples of "high concept Sci-Fi blockbusters, often with a futuristic angle, are being given bloated budgets time and time again, and continue to fail at the box office."

I don't deny that sci-fi is having a hard time these days when superhero movies steal all the spotlight, I just don't see why you were making a distinction between original IP and adaption. The GA doesn't see the difference for most of those IPs

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:04 AM, Napoleon said:

E Petions. They always work well...

Seriously, you are a prime example of a fanboy living in his own little reality.

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

E Petions. They always work well...

Seriously, you are a prime example of a fanboy living in his own little reality.

You used to say the same thing about fans making a petition to see the director's cut of Justice League, and now Grace Randolph reports that negotiations are happening.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Grace Randolph reports that negotiations are happening.

Ah, how could we forget about distinguished, accomplished cinema investigative reporter BeyondTheTrailer. Remind me, what we her previous scoops?

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

The Mouse's business plans seldom include spending a lot of money on a attempt to revive a franchise which did not really make it with the first film.

Disney prefers to spend it's money on projects that look more promising. A business wants to make a profit.How shocking?

And how anybody can think that e petions can overrule the account books is beyond me.

• Not Cool 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

The Mouse's business plans seldom include spending a lot of money on a attempt to revive a franchise which did not really make it with the first film.

Disney prefers to spend it's money on projects that look more promising. A business wants to make a profit.How shocking?

And how anybody can think that e petions can overrule the account books is beyond me.

In a movie market that is currently dominated by franchises and sequels, Alita's performance is notable. Based on a very niche IP, it had to build an audience almost from the ground up. It was very risky at that budget, and did much better than expected. 

Considering those facts, it's clear there is potential for growth. It's not unheard of that a movie that didn't too well initially gains popularity over time and has a strong performance with a sequel.

When it comes to the money aspect, Landau is more informed than anyone here and if he's not closing the door, than maybe those people saying it's delusional to think there could ever be a sequel should find a little bit a humility in themselves.

As for Disney, they do not own Lightstorm. They could potentially get financing from another studio. However, since they are heavily committed with Disney on Avatar, it would make sense that they would make Alita under the Disney umbrella. But Disney won't be the ultimate decider in the fate of the franchise. Unless Cameron somehow sold the IP to Fox, but I doubt it. It's something he always regretted with Terminator (even though that's the only way he could direct the movie)

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2019 at 4:02 AM, Morieris said:

So it's happening now!! :) AHAHAHAHA

F*CK the haters! This thread lives on!

6 hours ago, Alexdube said:

In a movie market that is currently dominated by franchises and sequels, Alita's performance is notable. Based on a very niche IP, it had to build an audience almost from the ground up. It was very risky at that budget, and did much better than expected

From the point of view of this forum or the studio? Because if you're talking about the latter then a sequel would have been greenlit already. 

Edited by Hatebox

16 hours ago, Alexdube said:

In a movie market that is currently dominated by franchises and sequels, Alita's performance is notable. Based on a very niche IP, it had to build an audience almost from the ground up. It was very risky at that budget, and did much better than expected. 

Considering those facts, it's clear there is potential for growth. It's not unheard of that a movie that didn't too well initially gains popularity over time and has a strong performance with a sequel.

When it comes to the money aspect, Landau is more informed than anyone here and if he's not closing the door, than maybe those people saying it's delusional to think there could ever be a sequel should find a little bit a humility in themselves.

As for Disney, they do not own Lightstorm. They could potentially get financing from another studio. However, since they are heavily committed with Disney on Avatar, it would make sense that they would make Alita under the Disney umbrella. But Disney won't be the ultimate decider in the fate of the franchise. Unless Cameron somehow sold the IP to Fox, but I doubt it. It's something he always regretted with Terminator (even though that's the only way he could direct the movie)

It all depends on what the contract for Alita...which carried over from Fox to  Disney.....says. 

I am betting the contract was like that for Avatar.....it gives Disney exclusive rights to Alita for a number of years or films. When the contract expires. then Cameron can take it anyplace, but he can't until the contract has expired.

Maybe Cameron could try to get finaincing from another company, but he would still have to release through Disney.

And I doubt that other companies would be any more eager to finaine Alita then Disney is.

Fact is, there have been a number  of sequel made to films that were borderline successes,and most have flopped. And Alita is definently a borderline success. It did not exactly lose money, but did not make enough to justify the expense. It's called "return on investment:, and it an important concept in any business.

Bu then I notice that most fanboys tend to be pretty ignorant of the way a business operates, or have a distorted view tha tignores unpleasant realities.

46 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Fact is, there have been a number  of sequel made to films that were borderline successes,and most have flopped. And Alita is definently a borderline success. It did not exactly lose money, but did not make enough to justify the expense. It's called "return on investment:, and it an important concept in any business.

Bu then I notice that most fanboys tend to be pretty ignorant of the way a business operates, or have a distorted view tha tignores unpleasant realities.

see:

When it comes to the money aspect, Landau is more informed than anyone here and if he's not closing the door, than maybe those people saying it's delusional to think there could ever be a sequel should find a little bit of humility in themselves.

Edited by Alexdube

5 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

see:

When it comes to the money aspect, Landau is more informed than anyone here and if he's not closing the door, than maybe those people saying it's delusional to think there could ever be a sequel should find a little bit of humility in themselves.

Landau says the following:

"What I think the Alita Army should do is keep peppering our family now at Disney and [let them know] how important it is to have another Alita movie and hopefully we'll venture there one day."

So if your best case scenario involves being loud and holding out hope, that doesn't inspire confidence.

2 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

"What I think the Alita Army should do is keep peppering our family now at Disney and [let them know] how important it is to have another Alita movie and hopefully we'll venture there one day."

So if your best case scenario involves being loud and holding out hope, that doesn't inspire confidence.

It's not like Disney is not fully aware of how much noise on the internet a few fans can make,and, like every studio, pretty much ignores E petitions.

In the end it's the numbers that matter, and ALita simply did not do the numbers to justify a sequel. And Disney is probably cautious about sequels to films that barely broke even given other studio's experiences with those. I give you the Pacific Rim and Snow White /Huntsman sequels as examples.

12 hours ago, Hatebox said:

From the point of view of this forum or the studio? Because if you're talking about the latter then a sequel would have been greenlit already. 

speaking about the general consensus before release, it was supposed to be a hard bomb. There's a number of articles about it

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

This isn't an actor, or the director, or some youtube blogger telling people to be loud, it's the freaking producer. The guy who has the job to make sure the project makes sense from a financial standpoint. It's as close as you can be from the money. He's saying this because it would only help to make a better deal when and if the time comes. But you can't blame him for not rushing it, the guy already has his hand full with Avatar I'm sure.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

It's not like Disney is not fully aware of how much noise on the internet a few fans can make,and, like every studio, pretty much ignores E petitions.

In the end it's the numbers that matter, and ALita simply did not do the numbers to justify a sequel. And Disney is probably cautious about sequels to films that barely broke even given other studio's experiences with those. I give you the Pacific Rim and Snow White /Huntsman sequels as examples.

It's the numbers that matter, yes, which you don't have. Guess what, a movie doesn't just disappear once it leaves theaters and still makes money. Who has those numbers? Jon Landau has them. And can you predict how a fan base will grow over time? 

Especially one that is "loud": https://www.popdust.com/battle-angel-alita-sequel-2641528499.html

"Why #AlitaSequel is trending nationwide."

they sure are loud

• Thanks 1

Why is it that Cameronr fans just cannot accept that Cameron has a film that did not perform at the box office and are trying to make a success of a failure?

• Not Cool 1

47 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Why is it that Cameronr fans just cannot accept that Cameron has a film that did not perform at the box office and are trying to make a success of a failure?

So you have no answer, no arguments. That's fine. I'm simply discussing the information that is in front of me, you chose to deny and ignore. Your comment is crass and unrelated to what is discussed.

Besides, I referred in other threads to movies that Cameron produced and bombed, that isn't a problem

Edited by Alexdube
  • Thanks 1