Eric Duncan

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

September will be one to watch IMO, since that's when the next Marvel movie Shang-Chi and Sony's Venom 2 are currently set for release.

Depending on how bad the situation is then, noting the Delta variant is getting worse daily.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/snake-eyes-old-m-night-shyamalan-weekend-box-office-1234798883/

Warner Bros’ second weekend of Space Jam: A New Legacy and Disney’s third weekend of Black Widow, which are also available on their respective studios’ streaming platforms, could mess up the one-two ranking of Old and Snake Eyes. Space Jam 2 is expecting a 48%-58% second-weekend decline between $13 million-$16 million, while Black Widow‘s third weekend is figured at a 45% decline for $14M. Black Widow has been beating Space Jam 2 at the daily box office from Monday to Thursday. Last night, the MCU origin movie posted an estimated $2.3M to Space Jam 2‘s $2.06M; their respective running cumes being $143.1M and $41.9M.

I'm aware this is unlikely to happen, so don't pester me about it, but I will cackle supremely hard if Black Widow actually ranks #1 again this weekend lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Depending on how bad the situation is then, noting the Delta variant is getting worse daily.

Don't even get me started on that thing. I imagine that is why we haven't heard virtually anything about No Way Home. Wouldn't be too shocking to see it slip to next year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Delta variant,Delta variant...

Another excuse to restrict rights.

PS:I'm vacinated so i'm not a negationist but i'm tired of this variant bullshit.

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 7

16 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Delta variant,Delta variant...

Another excuse to restrict rights.

PS:I'm vacinated so i'm not a negationist but i'm tired of this variant bullshit.

I didn't talk about rights or restrictions; more of mindset because when cases and death number spike up - people get jitterish and may not want to turn up at the cinema.

This is a box office forum - so i think it is fair for me to actually bring up an important factor which I think may impact box office figures. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Can’t see Black Widow getting to $14m either from a $2.3m Thursday. 

I think Old could win, considering I’m guessing Snake Eyes has a fan base that will go quickly (?). 

Honestly I feel it could go the other way around. I feel like Shyamalan has a bit of an Edgar Wright-style fanbase that could be interested in seeing it right away. Snake Eyes is also a franchise too, but they don't really focus on the GI Joe connections much in the marketing and I don't think there's that rabid of a fandom for it that will want to catch the first showings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Can’t see Black Widow getting to $14m either from a $2.3m Thursday. 

I think Old could win, considering I’m guessing Snake Eyes has a fan base that will go quickly (?). 

Snake Eyes does have the theater booking advantage...170 more theaters is nothing to sneeze at, especially b/c it did not have the advantage last night (apparently, Old got 90 more Thursday night theaters for previews)...

The films might be so close that this will matter...

• Like 1

As boring as it may seem, I for one am at least glad we have box office to follow and talk about again. Even if its frustrating that nothing plays like the old normals anymore. 

Score another win for the tracking thread calling the previews again. Bravo and oh my as we head into TSS. 

• Like 3

Snake Eyes is down to a horrific 70% Verified Aud score.

Still too small a sample (50+ People) so it might jump right up over night but right now I’m guessing B or B- Cinemascore.

Edited by AJG