Eric Atreides

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

If there's one silver lining to Snake Eyes' bombage, at least Golding isn't attached to some random franchise and it'll be easier for him to get the Bond role he deserves. Bonkers to me his agent hasn't pestered Eon over this. He's perfect!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

AM1: 128th (69.6M)

Thor: 55th (103M)

Cap1: 63rd (98M)   

If it wants to miss 70M on a holiday, it’s going to need to be the worst OW in the MCU. Could be possible, but I hope not.

Shang-Chi has quite possibly nothing going for it:

It hasn't been set up by any previous MCU project

Shang-Chi is probably the most obscure hero to have an MCU film to date, moreso than Ant-Man or GOTG

The only actor with some level of GA-awareness is Awkwafina, who is barely in the second trailer currently playing in theaters

Black Widow didn't reignite the GA's MCU interest

The trailers are pretty one-note, and I haven't seen any audience engagement or reactions in theaters to them

And it's out in just over a month without much buzz. Things need to pick up fast imo.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Snake Eric said:

If there's one silver lining to Snake Eyes' bombage, at least Golding isn't attached to some random franchise and it'll be easier for him to get the Bond role he deserves. Bonkers to me his agent hasn't pestered Eon over this. He's perfect!

He's not getting Bond with those international numbers...when you're the new face of a franchise (that bombs) and you draw nowhere, they won't give you a bigger franchise to carry - they'll look for the guy that actually pulls folks in from somewhere...

He may not get a leading role for awhile, and may have to jump into an ensemble role after this one b/c those numbers are that bad...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

He's not getting Bond with those international numbers...when you're the new face of a franchise and you draw nowhere, they won't give you a bigger franchise to carry - they'll look for the guy that actually pulls folks in from somewhere...

He may not get a leading role for awhile, and may have to jump into an ensemble role after this one b/c those numbers are that bad...

Well I mean it's not like Daniel Craig was this major draw when he was cast all those years ago

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We're not getting another 70-80M opener until No Time to Die. Embrace it, accept it. Shang-Chi will be an Ant-Man/Thor/Cap 1 level OW, and Venom is going to have a Deadpool-to-Deadpool 2 size drop at minimum.

Free Guy will be the surprise of August if Box Office Pro's 15-35M tracking holds.

Deadline Anthony told us the box office is now in "The Roaring 20's" phase. So clearly you're wrong.

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 1

I agree it's likely not going to be until the 4th quarter when we'll start to see a more consistent line of big-ish numbers again. That's of course provided the main big titles don't change plans and go for hybrid releases instead.

Golding didn't leave much of an impression on me in Crazy Rich Asian and A Simple Favor (and I forgot he was in The Gentleman until I checked his filmography now), but I thought he was pretty bad in Snake Eyes and had no charisma at all. Tbf, everyone here was pretty bad. I heard he was pretty good in Monsoon though (although that's a completely different kind of role than Bond). Honestly, if there's a cast member from the movie I would like to see as Bond, it is Andrew Koji. He wasn't good here either but he was pretty cool in Warrior.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Snake Eric said:

Who knows if they have/haven't?  The Bond people like to keep things as close to the chest as possible -- although I keep reminding people that otherwise-known tabloid TheDailyMail did 'break' Craig's casting!   

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

He's not getting Bond with those international numbers...when you're the new face of a franchise (that bombs) and you draw nowhere, they won't give you a bigger franchise to carry - they'll look for the guy that actually pulls folks in from somewhere...

Bond has always been cast with unknown-knowns, meaning people that have "been around" but not necessarily A-list.  I think that will be the case again, as long as Barbara Broccoli is still in charge/retains a controlling vote.  Golding could very well still be a strong candidate regardless.  

Just wanted to say that I've really enjoyed reading this whole thread this weekend!  

Edited by Macleod

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Golding didn't leave much of an impression on me in Crazy Rich Asian and A Simple Favor (and I forgot he was in The Gentleman until I checked his filmography now), but I thought he was pretty bad in Snake Eyes and had no charisma at all. Tbf, everyone here was pretty bad. I heard he was pretty good in Monsoon though (although that's a completely different kind of role than Bond). Honestly, if there's a cast member from the movie I would like to see as Bond is Andrew Koji. He wasn't good here either but he was pretty cool in Warrior.

We move on to Bullet Train. Koji will rise.

Spoiler

Honestly he's not a particularly good actor but he can pull off a decent amount of swagger and kicks ass. I'm rooting for him.

• Like 1

I feel people might be underestimating Venom 2. The trailer views and likes for the last trailer are kinda insane (seems like the 2nd biggest for a post-pandemic film, after GvK). 65 million views from the top 2 channels and 1.5 mil likes. Would not be surprised if it ends up being the biggest film of the year until Spiderman 3 comes out.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, AJG said:

Deadline Anthony told us the box office is now in "The Roaring 20's" phase. So clearly you're wrong.

Well the Great Depression crash happened in 1929...soo

But yeah unless Delta acts like it is doing in UK, i don't expect a big recovery from the movies very soon.

Everyone should get vaccinated, even if you have a breakthrough, it'll be much than without a vaccine.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81

Fitting title for the current market. Accept the end. 

Thinking Jungle Cruise and Suicide Squad will be the only movies opening over 20M until Shang-Chi (if that keeps the date which I doubt it). 

Free Guy and Candyman should do something in the high 10s.

Henry Golding is fucking great but he needs a big movie OS to show him off. Snake Eyes was doomed internarionally from the start because nobody watched Crazy Rich Asians OS.