Jump to content
Eric Madrigal

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fitting title for the current market. Accept the end. 

 

Thinking Jungle Cruise and Suicide Squad will be the only movies opening over 20M until Shang-Chi (if that keeps the date which I doubt it). 

 

Free Guy and Candyman should do something in the high 10s.

Candyman is currently tracking for 9-14M, so we'll see about that....

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Candyman is currently tracking for 9-14M, so we'll see about that....

That is certainly a disappointment. Guess only Free Guy can surprise a bit.

Edited by CJohn
Link to post
Share on other sites

Candyman looked like a potential surprise hit when promotion began for its original June 2020 release but now it's opening at the end of a horror-filled summer and the buzz still hasn't materialized. An opening in the teens sounds about right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is certainly a disappointment. Guess only Free Guy can surprise a bit.

 

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Candyman looked like a potential surprise hit when promotion began for its original June 2020 release but now it's opening at the end of a horror-filled summer and the buzz still hasn't materialized. An opening in the teens sounds about right.

Lesson of the summer: don't trust MGM franchise revivals distributed by other studios.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Football stadiums are planning on being at near full capacity again this season so the variant isn't going to get any better anytime soon. They are really going to have to cut some deals over the next couple years with the 200m dollar films they have on the horizon because there is no way the theaters can support those films in the upcoming future.

 

Will also be interesting to see what they do with the expensive films slated for 2023/2024 that havn't started filming yet. Will they make those films slightly less expensive than they would have been otherwise? Because as of now there is no way to know if the theater industry will ever recover enough to support a 200m dollar film that needs to make close to a billion dollars to get into the green.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the buzz for Candyman has died down substantially since the first trailer, but I have heard from several friends on good authority that the movie absolutely slaps, so good reviews could build it back up. I also think Respect is being slightly underestimated, in that I think it's another one that gets past the 10m OW threshold we seem to have picked out.

 

Box office is clearly impacted but every movie that has been released has been dump-adjacent, even the Black Widows and F9s of the world. If Bond or Eternals flops, then things are really bad.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Football stadiums are planning on being at near full capacity again this season so the variant isn't going to get any better anytime soon. They are really going to have to cut some deals over the next couple years with the 200m dollar films they have on the horizon because there is no way the theaters can support those films in the upcoming future.

 

Will also be interesting to see what they do with the expensive films slated for 2023/2024 that havn't started filming yet. Will they make those films slightly less expensive than they would have been otherwise? Because as of now there is no way to know if the theater industry will ever recover enough to support a 200m dollar film that needs to make close to a billion dollars to get into the green.

Everyone is going to get Covid eventually unless you stay home all the time. The solution is to get vaccinated to protect yourself. Thats it, If you don’t then that’s on you 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Shang-Chi has quite possibly nothing going for it:

 

It hasn't been set up by any previous MCU project

Shang-Chi is probably the most obscure hero to have an MCU film to date, moreso than Ant-Man or GOTG

The only actor with some level of GA-awareness is Awkwafina, who is barely in the second trailer currently playing in theaters

Black Widow didn't reignite the GA's MCU interest

The trailers are pretty one-note, and I haven't seen any audience engagement or reactions in theaters to them

 

And it's out in just over a month without much buzz. Things need to pick up fast imo.

 

You didn't even mention the worst release date on the calendar.  Or Two other martial arts films already came out and did not exactly light the world on fire.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree that the buzz for Candyman has died down substantially since the first trailer, but I have heard from several friends on good authority that the movie absolutely slaps, so good reviews could build it back up. I also think Respect is being slightly underestimated, in that I think it's another one that gets past the 10m OW threshold we seem to have picked out.

 

Box office is clearly impacted but every movie that has been released has been dump-adjacent, even the Black Widows and F9s of the world. If Bond or Eternals flops, then things are really bad.

Respect is going to be the next big test as to whether adult audiences (especially older ones) are still hesitant about returning to the multiplex since that's it's pretty much the only movie aimed strictly at that crowd this summer other than perhaps In the Heights (which failed to connect as we know). In normal times I think it could've easily pulled a $20M+ opening in the same spot based on concept alone but who knows in the current environment.

 

edit: there's also Stillwater next weekend but I doubt that would've made much noise in any climate.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree that the buzz for Candyman has died down substantially since the first trailer, but I have heard from several friends on good authority that the movie absolutely slaps, so good reviews could build it back up. I also think Respect is being slightly underestimated, in that I think it's another one that gets past the 10m OW threshold we seem to have picked out.

 

Box office is clearly impacted but every movie that has been released has been dump-adjacent, even the Black Widows and F9s of the world. If Bond or Eternals flops, then things are really bad.

 

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Respect is going to be the next big test as to whether adult audiences (especially older ones) are still hesitant about returning to the multiplex since that's it's pretty much the only movie aimed strictly at that crowd this summer other than perhaps In the Heights (which failed to connect as we know). In normal times I think it could've easily pulled a $20M+ opening in the same spot based on concept alone but who knows in the current environment.

 

edit: there's also Stillwater next weekend but I doubt that would've made much noise in any climate.

Box Office Pro has it tracking for 8-18M. I've gotten the trailer at random movies like AQP, so MGM has been pushing it quite a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Marston said:

 

I noticed this!!  😂  People love to slam these movies, but there continues to be a huge fanbase, apparently! 

Twilight reboot incoming?  I'm sure Netflix is talking with Lionsgate right now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StarWarsMemer said:

i can see shang chi doing 800M+

 

Not without China, at the very, very least...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Old and Snake Eyes looked like they would both suck! I think people also forget the Olympics, streaming, people going out and doing stuff is a big factor to why people haven’t went to the movies so much! 
 

if I wanted to watch Snake Eyes I’d watch the 1998 Nicolas Cage movie! I’d be more satisfied! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Macleod said:

 

I noticed this!!  😂  People love to slam these movies, but there continues to be a huge fanbase, apparently! 

Twilight reboot incoming?  I'm sure Netflix is talking with Lionsgate right now...

 

The Twilight/Justin Bieber hate train is probably one of comedy's most embarrasing moment of the last 20 years. 2008-2012 stand up was a bunch of old men complaining about things they could've easily ignored.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Macleod said:

 

I noticed this!!  😂  People love to slam these movies, but there continues to be a huge fanbase, apparently! 

Twilight reboot incoming?  I'm sure Netflix is talking with Lionsgate right now...

They were hugely successful movies so I think it's fairly obvious they have a fanbase? People who hate them are just very loud. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy for Shyamalan. Hollywood studios need to learn there's still value in auter filmmaking. Even without a great reception from critics and audiences, he sold more tickets on his name alone than one of the most popular toy brands of all time in United States.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Macleod said:

 

I noticed this!!  😂  People love to slam these movies, but there continues to be a huge fanbase, apparently! 

Twilight reboot incoming?  I'm sure Netflix is talking with Lionsgate right now...

The Twilight movies have awesome soundtracks at least 

 

I wonder who is watching them. The girls who read them as kids and are grown up and nostalgic or a brand new audience ? I would think Twilight would be something people would look back on in a “ I actually liked that?” Kind of way than nostalgic

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Twilight movies have awesome soundtracks at least 

 

I wonder who is watching them. The girls who read them as kids and are grown up and nostalgic or a brand new audience ? I would think Twilight would be something people would look back on in a “ I actually liked that?” Kind of way than nostalgic

 

 


I mean, if they liked it a lot back then, is it that much of a reach that they still really like it now? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.