Jump to content
Eric the Extra-Terrestrial

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

GI Joe isn't a bad IP. It's just that Hollywood doesn't know what to do with it.

 

Like not one Gen Xer I know was like "man, I really want to to see a Snake Eyes origin story where he doesn't suit up until the final scene".

Clearly Gen Xers weren't the target audience for a film like this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm pretty sure Titanic broke records because young girls were watching the movie like ten times.

 

I mean I enjoyed the movie and everything but I only watched it once.

Titanic broke records because everyone loved it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

GI Joe isn't a bad IP. It's just that Hollywood doesn't know what to do with it.

 

Like not one Gen Xer I know was like "man, I really want to to see a Snake Eyes origin story where he doesn't suit up until the final scene".

 

Counterpoint: GI Joe is a terrible IP that's too America-Centric and hasn't been on Kids TV for 10 years. Does anyone under 15 care about GI Joe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

 

Counterpoint: GI Joe is a terrible IP that's too America-Centric and hasn't been on Kids TV for 10 years. Does anyone under 15 care about GI Joe?

 

Diverse soldiers with specialities fight a sci fi battle with a colorful array of charismatic and iconic terrorist.

 

I can see this being four quadrant with global interest easily.

 

I mean if Captain America has a global audience then so could GI Joe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

 

Lesson of the summer: don't trust MGM franchise revivals distributed by other studios.

 

18 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I agree that the buzz for Candyman has died down substantially since the first trailer, but I have heard from several friends on good authority that the movie absolutely slaps, so good reviews could build it back up. I also think.


In relation to Candyman buzz, remember Universal literally just opened Old three days ago. They will have been focusing their marketing efforts there. 
 

There’s plenty of time for the Candyman marketing and buzz to kick in.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

 

Diverse soldiers with specialities fight a sci fi battle with a colorful array of charismatic and iconic terrorist.

 

I can see this being four quadrant with global interest easily.

 

I mean if Captain America has a global audience then so could GI Joe.

 

A US military unit of Diverse soldiers invade foreign nations to fight a sci fi battle which they probably helped cause and protect America's capitalist interests overseas.

 

This aint flying in the 2020's. 

 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

 

A US military unit of Diverse soldiers invade foreign nations to fight a sci fi battle which they probably helped cause and protect America's capitalist interests overseas.

 

This aint flying in the 2020's. 

 

Nah, the biggest franchise in the world right now isn't that far off from this. And we're getting a Top Gun sequel this year lol. And Bay made another neo-con action film last year about a couple of billionaires trying to start a coup in a middle eastern nation lol (and he'll continue to make stuff like that). If that flies, I'm sure this can fly.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

 

They should be along with millenials who grew up during the 80's.

 

These people have families now.

That's like saying Transformers should have done the same, instead it catered to teenage kids, hence the boy and his car storyline. Gen Xers are too grown up for films like this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

 

Are you saying repeat viewings weren't the biggest factor?

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's biggest factor was the fact it was watched by lots of people, not that people watched it lots of times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chicago said:

That's like saying Transformers should have done the same, instead it catered to teenage kids, hence the boy and his car storyline. Gen Xers are too grown up for films like this 

 

I mean, there are movies that appeal to multiple generations.

 

Look at Marvel/Star Wars/DC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AJG said:

 

A US military unit of Diverse soldiers invade foreign nations to fight a sci fi battle which they probably helped cause and protect America's capitalist interests overseas.

 

This aint flying in the 2020's. 

 

 

Yeah that's the reason why this movie failed. Nothing to do with the long wait from 2 poorly received predecessors, the huge drop in budget or the lackluster trailers, its all to do with lefty politics lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chicago said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. It's biggest factor was the fact it was watched by lots of people, not that people watched it lots of times. 

 

You don't get 17 weekends at number 1 without a ton of repeat viewings.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

 

I mean, there are movies that appeal to multiple generations.

 

Look at Marvel/Star Wars/DC.

True, but they are huge brands that have had decades of success. GI joe has never been that, it won't sell tickets on brand alone, it needs the expensive cast which they dropped for this film 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AJG said:

 

A US military unit of Diverse soldiers invade foreign nations to fight a sci fi battle which they probably helped cause and protect America's capitalist interests overseas.

 

This aint flying in the 2020's. 

 

That's not how most people view it. People just look at them as mediocre action films that they don't particularly need to see another one. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AJG said:

 

A US military unit of Diverse soldiers invade foreign nations to fight a sci fi battle which they probably helped cause and protect America's capitalist interests overseas.

 

This aint flying in the 2020's. 

 

 

GI Joe doesn't focus on imperialism any more than James Bond or Transformers.

 

COBRA has an elaborate plan to take over the world and GI Joe is needed to stop them.

 

That's it.

 

Again if global audiences can cheer for a soldier named Captain America, they can root for a diverse scifi army.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.