Jump to content
Eric Belcher

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AJG said:

 

A US military unit of Diverse soldiers invade foreign nations to fight a sci fi battle which they probably helped cause and protect America's capitalist interests overseas.

 

This aint flying in the 2020's. 

 

 

Have you seen recent CIA recruitment videos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chicago said:

You believe Titanic had more repeat viewings than something like endgame?

Definitely, the legs were much better. That said Titanic's success cannot be attributed to repeat viewings. To do what Titanic did requires excellent WOM and a huge amount of unique viewers. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

 

You don't get 17 weekends at number 1 without a ton of repeat viewings.

 

 

You also don't get 17 weekends at number 1 unless it's every demographic, not just one, contributing to those ton of repeat viewings either.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chicago said:

You believe Titanic had more repeat viewings than something like endgame?

 

Yes.  Is this somehow controversial?  Adjusting for inflation Titanic had about 45% more viewers (probably more as Titanic didn't really have access to Imax and 3D) when the population was 50 million people smaller.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Again if global audiences can cheer for a soldier named Captain America, they can root for a diverse scifi army.

 

An American sci-fi army that introduced a character called Sgt. Slaughter in order to normalise and positivly recontextualise Americas war crimes to an audience of children.

 

gijoe-arah-25th-anniversary---2010---sgt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AJG said:

 

An American sci-fi army that introduced a character called Sgt. Slaughter in order to normalise and positivly recontextualise Americas war crimes to an audience of children.

 

gijoe-arah-25th-anniversary---2010---sgt

Im gonna buy my kid this

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chicago said:

True, but they are huge brands that have had decades of success. GI joe has never been that, it won't sell tickets on brand alone, it needs the expensive cast which they dropped for this film 

 

I dunno. The live action Disney Renaissance movies are huge and they rely on nostalgia from the 90's.

 

I think to a lesser extent you could use that model for 80's properties where adult fans bring their kids.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GI Joe didn't really travel outside the US. In the UK we had Action Man instead. Was actually just originally a redesigned version of GI Joe toys and then they had their own lore going on.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Capt America started working when it became Steve Rogers in TWS.

 

It also helped that they flat out removed the American flag from the overseas posters and artwork. Overseas promo also downplayed the patriotism.

 

Here's the US version

 

91zlVmXTLOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

 

And Heres the UK version

 

71EZKg6rVdL._AC_SY445_.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

GI Joe didn't really travel outside the US. In the UK we had Action Man instead. Was actually just originally a redesigned version of GI Joe toys and then they had their own lore going on.

Action man, now that is something i've heard of

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, AJG said:

 

An American sci-fi army that introduced a character called Sgt. Slaughter in order to normalise and positivly recontextualise Americas war crimes to an audience of children.

 

gijoe-arah-25th-anniversary---2010---sgt

How dare you imply Sgt Slaughter isn't a real person???

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Capt America started working when it became Steve Rogers in TWS.

 

So you're saying most people around the world don't know the name of the character is Captain America?

 

Honest question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, grey ghost said:

 

So you're saying most people around the world don't know the name of the character is Captain America?

 

Honest question.

I'd heard of captain America but never knew who he was before MCU. Saying that I didn't even know who Iron Man was before 2007

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

 

It also helped that they flat out removed the American flag from the overseas posters and artwork. Overseas promo also downplayed the patriotism.

 

Here's the US version

 

91zlVmXTLOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

 

And Heres the UK version

 

71EZKg6rVdL._AC_SY445_.jpg

 

But his costume and shield are literally an American flag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.