Eric Duncan

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

So you're saying most people around the world don't know the name of the character is Captain America?

Honest question.

What's in name. If the character remained only an American soldier, it wouldn't be as accepted as he is.

The superhero genre as whole remained pretty American till 2000s, it was in early 2010s genre opened in many non-superhero countries, when films stopped being overly American.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What's in name. If the character remained only an American soldier, it wouldn't be as accepted as he is.

The superhero genre as whole remained pretty American till 2000s, it was in early 2010s genre opened in many non-superhero countries, when films stopped being overly American.

My point is if global audiences can root for "Captain America" they can root for Snake Eyes, Duke, Flint, Roadblock and Scarlett. 

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

It's not that GI Joe can't be popular but I don't see what it has to offer at this point that isn't done by other bigger/better franchises.

I mean, the characters are pretty iconic if you don't ignore what made them iconic for 99% of the movie.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

My point is if global audiences can root for "Captain America" they can root for Snake Eyes, Duke, Flint, Roadblock and Scarlett. 

My only familiarity with GI Joe is Rise of Cobra and my impressions from that film were Snake Eyes was cool but a fairly generic ninja-type character, Duke was...Channing Tatum (don't remember anything much about his character), Scarlett is the red-haired woman I think? I don't even remember who the other two were. I did think Storm Shadow and Baroness were cool antagonists though. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But his costume and shield are literally an American flag.

Red, white, and blue stripes with a star.... it could easily be mistaken for the flag of Australia

41mXc5F4N3L._AC_SS450_.jpg

• Disbelief 1

58 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Saw Gi Joe discussion in last page. I don't know what or who GI Joe is.

I'm going to guess your age is 27 or below. The GI Joe cartoon was pretty big in India around the mid 90s when Cartoon Network first came on the stage. Even then though, not many characters whose name you remembered apart from Cobra Commander, Destro and Snake Eyes 

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm going to guess your age is 27 or below. The GI Joe cartoon was pretty big in India around the mid 90s when Cartoon Network first came on the stage. Even then though, not many characters whose name you remembered apart from Cobra Commander, Destro and Snake Eyes 

yep 23.7

Edited by charlie Jatinder

I think Captain America is very interesting character. It's really amazing how a character with such name and personality became so famous worldwide. 

Usually, it doesn't happen. I mean Captain America is famous in countries where usually such characters are boycotted or made fun of. 

55 minutes ago, MrPink said:

...Are they though?

I'm not a fan of demystifying silent,  always masked badasses with timberwolves but the movie doesn't really show or explain why Snake Eyes is a silent, always masked badass with a timberwolf.

I mean even the rivalry with Stormshadow is poorly executed. So what's the point of the movie?

29 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I think Captain America is very interesting character. It's really amazing how a character with such name and personality became so famous worldwide. 

Usually, it doesn't happen. I mean Captain America is famous in countries where usually such characters are boycotted or made fun of. 

Captain America became just as famous as most of the MCU members. The First Avenger was the lowest grossing MCU movie internationally but after The Avengers, he recieved a boost internationally putting Winter Soldiers international take inline with both Thor 2 and Guardians the same year.

From that point on he was arguably taking centre stage in these multi hero event movies. I wouldn't class Cap's ride to worldwide popularity any more interesting than I would for Black Panther, IM, Thor or the Guardians

Edited by Chicago

I see someone is talking about my boy without tagging me. 

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I mean if Captain America has a global audience then so could GI Joe.

They’re totally different properties. Despite Captain America’s origins as a World War II veteran, everything written in the 1960’s onward uses that more as backstory than plot. And he has little affiliation with the US government or military in that time. He spends most of his time as an Avenger fighting aliens in the group comics, and in his solo comics he fights Neo-Nazi hate groups.

People who aren’t familiar with the property tend to get really caught up in the **name**, and then they tend to impose their real life politician opinions on the character. 

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Capt America started working when it became Steve Rogers in TWS.

LAAAAAAAWL, girl. No. SMH. No. 

Jack Kirby and Joe Simon literally designed the character to fight Nazis. Nothing works better than Steve Rogers punching a WWII Nazis in the face. 

Plus, The First Avenger is the best MCU Phase 1 movie by a mile; and arguably Top 5 of their whole library. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My only knowledge of GI Joe are the two big budget movies. I am here for another big scale GI Joe spetacle. Not this Snake Eyes nonsense, even if Henry Golding is a great actor.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

My only knowledge of GI Joe are the two big budget movies. I am here for another big scale GI Joe spetacle. Not this Snake Eyes nonsense, even if Henry Golding is a great actor.

Why are you asking Paramount to blow even more cash just so you can turn around to use it as more evidence to exclaim theaters are dead.

• Haha 12
  • Knock It Off 1